Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott777
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 4, 2023

There's 2 characters i've been BEGGING for action figures of, and they are C-List, for sure...or lower:
    Stingray
    Jack of Hearts
    both from Marvel

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by sprytel
      As a kid, I was really into war comics like GI Combat/Phantom Tank, Sgt. Rock, and Blackhawk. Those were big titles in their day, but all of those war comics seem to have been largely forgotten now.
      I always enjoyed reading those, too. I also liked the Western characters and books from both Marvel and DC. The barber shop I went to as a kid kept a lot of War and Western books and they all kept me pretty entertained while waiting for the chair to open up.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

As a middle school kid in 1982 I was super into the Firestorm revival book, so much so that I took a cartoon character I was drawing at the time for my friends and turned him into a nuclear version

Firestorm may have gone on to bigger and better things (I haven't followed too closely), but if you stopped 10 people on the street I'm still not sure how many would have heard of him..

9c3d7e38842d0ac19d270e5ebb910085-800.jpg

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Makernaut
          I always enjoyed reading those, too. I also liked the Western characters and books from both Marvel and DC. The barber shop I went to as a kid kept a lot of War and Western books and they all kept me pretty entertained while waiting for the chair to open up.
          Same! I thought about putting Jonah Hex on the list, actually... but given that he had a movie and shows up on places like Legends of Tomorrow, he seemed less obscure.

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

Don’t know what level you’d put him at, but I loved Jake Gallows, the title character in Punisher 2099. 2099 was such a great universe anyway, but for me Jake was the tops.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Interesting question, I agree with all the above mentioned especially Power Man and Iron Fist, surprised there hasn’t been a live action movie featuring these two characters. What about the Master of Kung Fu? would he be considered a C-Level star?

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I've got Arion on my list. Really,most of DC's fantasy stuff from the early 80s. Heck,I'd even put Captain Carrot on that list.

Comment

• Scott777
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jan 4, 2023

oh, i loved Hex. it was cool that he was in the Wild Wild West...of the Future.

Comment

• knight errant00
                    8 Inch Action Figure
                    • Nov 15, 2005

Lots of Great choices here . . . the first character that leapt to my mind was OMAC, in all his original Jack Kirby 1970s future dystopia wildness.

I'd also list the 1970s reboot of the Paul Kirk Manhunter (couldn't believe they ended him the way they did back in the day), the Warlord, and Machine Man, too. Until they gave him a TV series, I'd say Moon Knight, but that may have elevated him past a C.

Comment

• Dannyc
                      • Feb 6, 2023

I was obsessed with the Mark Shaw version of Manhunter from the short-lived DC series from the late 80s. I thought for sure the character was going to go on to be THE comic book character of the 90s lol.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Love this one…still have it…

D27B5A7C-A6E3-4D0C-9A25-E4F0C500CA2D.jpg
                        sigpic

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

I don't know about obsessed, exactly, but I am always drawn toward the obscure characters when brought into modern stories. That was one of the (many) appeals to me of Gaiman's Sandman comic. All the little side characters and C listers making a cameo or being important in that universe were great fun to see woven into a coherent (mostly) storyline. Come to think of it, quite a bit of the early 90s Vertigo imprint were non A/B listers being rebooted for a new generation. Shade, Doom Patrol, Constantine, the trenchcoat brigade from the Tim Hunter story. All of those were super fun characters and stories for me.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

My favorite Marvel book was Dreadstar & Company. It just really captured my imagination. All of the characters were great. Vanth Dreadstar, the cyborg wizard Syzygy Darklock, the blind telepath Willow, and the cat-humanoid Oedi.
                            The art by Jim Starlin was fantastic as well.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I was obsessed with the Mark Shaw version of Manhunter from the short-lived DC series from the late 80s. I thought for sure the character was going to go on to be THE comic book character of the 90s lol.
                              I'm right there with you. My friend Anthony and I were so sold on this guy. He became his favorite comic character for a white-hot minute. As soon as original artist Doug Rice stepped off the book though, it was never the same.
                              sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by enyawd72
                                My favorite Marvel book was Dreadstar & Company. It just really captured my imagination. All of the characters were great. Vanth Dreadstar, the cyborg wizard Syzygy Darklock, the blind telepath Willow, and the cat-humanoid Oedi.
                                The art by Jim Starlin was fantastic as well.
                                If you weren't aware of it, Starlin currently has a kickstarter going for a new Dreadstar GN.

-M
                                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎