Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Episode 4 was great. No spoilers, but it features one of the coolest moves in all of Star Trek!
    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

cool, i will watch later today

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

great episode. i have no issues with the characters swearing in the modern Trek shows, i think it actually is more reflective of real people, but i thought Picard dropping an fbomb was out of place in that scene. it really served no purpose other than to have Sir Patrick cuss

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Yes, great episode.

***minor character portrayal opinion spoiler***

I like how Captain Liam Shaw was not written solely as a one-dimensional arzehole. He’s a multilayered character who is not just background fodder. He did mightily contribute with helping the ship and crew with his engineering skills. And his verbal confrontation on Picard’s Locutus of Borg past, showed that Todd Stashwick is a very good actor.
          sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
            And his verbal confrontation on Picard’s Locutus of Borg past, showed that Todd Stashwick is a very good actor.
            The victim-blaming of Picard/Locutus for Wolf 359 never sat well with me when Sisko did it at the start of DS9, it felt even more obnoxious to get another helping of it 30 years later.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

his line about somewhere along the way, charm became ******* was classic

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                great episode. i have no issues with the characters swearing in the modern Trek shows, i think it actually is more reflective of real people, but i thought Picard dropping an fbomb was out of place in that scene. it really served no purpose other than to have Sir Patrick cuss
                It’s not supposed to be reflective of real people. Trek was supposed to be humanity in its ideal form, not its real form. When I see people cussing, using drugs, disobeying and disrespecting superior officers, and just otherwise behaving like 21st century characters, it screams to me that these people running the franchise neither respect or care about Star Trek, or Gene Roddenberry’s hopeful vision of the future.

They’re cultural vandals. Nothing more.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                  The victim-blaming of Picard/Locutus for Wolf 359 never sat well with me when Sisko did it at the start of DS9, it felt even more obnoxious to get another helping of it 30 years later.
                  With Sisko it was at least understandable. He was looking face to face into the eyes of a man that he thought was directly responsible for the death of his wife.

That said, Sisko never accused Picard of anything, and other than Sisko answering Picard’s question about whether they had ever met, the duration of their conversation was about Sisko serving on DS9. The interaction was tense, and the audience knew it and could sense it, but it never descended into profanity, melodrama, or insubordination.

It was masterclass acting by both men in a scene that is the epitome of drama in Star Trek, and featured something that is sorely missing from modern interpretations of Star Trek. Discipline.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                    With Sisko it was at least understandable. He was looking face to face into the eyes of a man that he thought was directly responsible for the death of his wife.

That said, Sisko never accused Picard of anything, and other than Sisko answering Picard’s question about whether they had ever met, the duration of their conversation was about Sisko serving on DS9. The interaction was tense, and the audience knew it and could sense it, but it never descended into profanity, melodrama, or insubordination.
                    Point taken.. I guess I just didn't like Sisko's bellicose attitude, which then softened a bit at the end of the premiere.

Picard was assimilated and directed to facilitate the assimilation of Earth, but the Borg were coming even if there wasn't a Locutus. Ironically it was Picard who was instrumental in saving Earth after he was retrieved from the Borg cube. I'm sure every Starfleet officer knows the details of that encounter (especially one that was there), and it's just a plot contrivance to have Shaw acting so angry and petty towards Picard given all those details.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                      Banned
                      • Mar 31, 2018

Point taken.. I guess I just didn't like Sisko's bellicose attitude, which then softened a bit at the end of the premiere.
                      I wouldn’t even say he was particularly bellicose. He had a lot of anger boiling underneath, and he certainly wasn’t pleasant, but he was professional.

It really was a great scene, and really managed to convey how hurt, angry, and broken Sisko was without wading into melodrama. Stewart was his usual masterful self, especially when you seen the pain across his face as he learns just what Sisko is referring to when he says they’ve met before.

Brooks was also brilliant, and really sold the image of a man who was right on the edge of exploding, but as was always the case in real Star Trek, he kept it in because he was a Starfleet officer and that’s what Starfleet officers do. Brooks was really brilliant throughout the entire episode. I think Emissary was maybe the finest pilot Star Trek ever did.

Picard was assimilated and directed to facilitate the assimilation of Earth, but the Borg were coming even if there wasn't a Locutus. Ironically it was Picard who was instrumental in saving Earth after he was retrieved from the Borg cube. I'm sure every Starfleet officer knows the details of that encounter (especially one that was there), and it's just a plot contrivance to have Shaw acting so angry and petty towards Picard given all those details.
                      Plot contrivance is the best way to describe it. I know this season is very popular compared to other Kurtzman Trek, but I just can’t get into it. But I’m a harsh critic anyway. I don’t even like any of the Next Gen movies. For me real Star Trek pretty much ended with “All Good Things…” Everything else is just fan fiction.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^No offense, but if you hate it so much, why do you even bother to watch it?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
                          Banned
                          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          ^No offense, but if you hate it so much, why do you even bother to watch it?
                          I don’t think I ever used the word “hate”, did I?

As for watching something you don’t like, how would you know you didn’t like it if you didn’t watch it first?

Additionally, if I said I didn’t watch it because I didn’t like it, you’d reverse the question and say “How can you say you don’t like it if you’ve never watched it?”

It’s odd, but in this modern society of ours, it seems to offend people personally when you dislike the Hollywood pop culture product they like. It’s quite odd.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

I get you. But I took issue when both Riker and Picard “conveniently” took over Captain Shaw’s command (after “illegally” boarding the ship defying Federation protocol ). I know, I know, for the sake of the series. But it was forced nevertheless. So Picard deserved that chewing from Shaw.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I don’t think I ever used the word “hate”, did I?

As for watching something you don’t like, how would you know you didn’t like it if you didn’t watch it first?

Additionally, if I said I didn’t watch it because I didn’t like it, you’d reverse the question and say “How can you say you don’t like it if you’ve never watched it?”

It’s odd, but in this modern society of ours, it seems to offend people personally when you dislike the Hollywood pop culture product they like. It’s quite odd.
                              Just based on your postings here, you seem to dislike most modern, Kurtzman-produced Star Trek product. Or if you don't, you put across that you do.

Hey, it's your time. If you want to watch something you don't like, more power to you. I'm just curious why, when you know you don't like something, you keep watching, expecting maybe it will turn into something you do like.

For instance, I don't like modern Batman comics. I basically don't read them. I've read enough of them to know they aren't my cup of tea anymore. I choose not to spend my money or time on them. When I hear like-minded readers telling me to come back, I may give them a try.

And I'm not offended wheter you like it or not. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I enjoy most aspects of it, but not all.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
                                Banned
                                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                                Just based on your postings here, you seem to dislike most modern, Kurtzman-produced Star Trek product. Or if you don't, you put across that you do.

Hey, it's your time. If you want to watch something you don't like, more power to you. I'm just curious why, when you know you don't like something, you keep watching, expecting maybe it will turn into something you do like.

For instance, I don't like modern Batman comics. I basically don't read them. I've read enough of them to know they aren't my cup of tea anymore. I choose not to spend my money or time on them. When I hear like-minded readers telling me to come back, I may give them a try.

And I'm not offended wheter you like it or not. You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. I enjoy most aspects of it, but not all.
                                I generally give a series two to three episodes to get better. I try not to judge it based on one episode. I would have never watched any of Picard season 3 except some Star Trek purists recommended it, so I gave it a try.

But like I said, it’s a no-win situation. If you say you didn’t watch it you’re told you can’t have an opinion. If you watch it and complain then the question is well why do you watch it if you hate it so much?

No grievance against these garbage shows is ever valid either. Criticism is dismissed as the work of trolls, bigots, or Russian bots. It really almost seems to be a waste of time to attempt any sort of rational, intelligent discussion. “Don’t ask questions, just consume product and get excited for next product!”

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎