• Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Meatloaf Recipes ???

Back in the day my Ma made a great meatloaf

Tasted great and could be sliced (when cold) for day-after sandwiches

Today, no matter what I do/try, I can't get my meatloaf to stay together for next day sandwich slicing

It's just basically fall-apart cooked ground beef.

My recipe, which I think tastes perty-dang good is …

1 pound ground beef...

1/2 pound of shredded (cheese grated) Taylor Ham (pork roll)

1 half diced yellow onion shredded on a cheese garter and squeezed to soak up all moisture

1 egg

Handful of Saltines

Spices etc.

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 and add an additional 10 minutes with the top off (for a nice coat browning)

Still tastes great, but falls apart
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Put a half cup of Ketchup or barbeque sauce on the top before baking so it doesn't dry out.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Duncan
      Museum focus-groupie
      • Jun 27, 2009

I use the Force, rather than a recipe, but I go something like this:

Gr beef; mustard; ketchup; Worchestershire sauce; oat milk; bread crumbs or shredded bread (or both); pepper; 1 egg; Herbes de Province (w fennel seed...gives a sausage-y flavor). Mix together and put in the loaf pan. Cover w/ a layer of ketchup.

So, you have the egg, and crackers are the same as bread crumbs, but I don't see the milk. Maybe try that, and be ready to use more crackers to soak it up. I've used both skim and oat milk with similar results, but I think I prefer oat. And I've tried a variety of different breads. Hawaiian dinner rolls were noteworthy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I grew up eating good meatloaf made with crushed saltines. I still use them sometimes, or panko breadcrumbs.

I don't think you're using enough bread or cracker crumbs, and the Taylor ham (instead of ground pork or bulk sausage) is likely making it more crumbly.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 2, '23, 11:02 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Our family Meatloaf is ground, beef, deer, sausage, chicken with other items mixed together with ketchep on top and then put in a oven bag.
          meatloaf oven bag.jpg
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Never had the opportunity to try any meats other than what anybody would purchase in their local general store...

I may have tried Deer jerky in my old days, but if so I forgot the taste

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

I have a great one, but requires procuring a bat out of hell, which is easier said than done.

I would do anything for meatloaf, but I won't do that.

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

One of my all-time favorite meals. We do 1 to .75 ratio of (non-lean) Beef and Pork. Sautéed Celery, Carrots, Onions, Green Onions and Garlic. Ketchup and Worcestershire sauce get down with an egg, Italian Parsley and Bread Crumbs. Then comes the secret ingredient: Sliced Water Chestnuts. After everything gets mixed and it's formed, you cover the entire thing with strips of thick cut Bacon. Then you go Werewolf and rub Ketchup all over the top before baking. Sweet Baby James!
                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by J.B.
                  ...…..Sliced Water Chestnuts....
                  What da-heck are those things ?

Remember reading them as an ingredient in Lay Choy's classic Chicken Cow Mein dinner

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 3, 2010

Add breadcrumbs or better yet we , er my wife just added ritz crackers to one the other day. No cheese and it was great.
                    mego's befo ho's

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I haven’t had meatloaf in years. It’s not a traditional dish for us at home. It’s good, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not a dish that pops into my mind.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

We just put whole bread slices in with the eggs and the ground beef.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 8, 2015

The best meatloaf I ever had was at Woolworths in their cafeteria. Nice and tomatoey and the mash and dinner rolls they served complimented the meal. Never ever had anything close in my life.

Still I'm sad...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎