Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bionic Joe
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 10, 2006

from what i hear the top brass at dc are all huge silver age fans and intend to undo the post crisis dcu hence the everything old is new agian

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Marvel of the last half decade or so is miles better than the Marvel of 10 years ago.

There were very few Marvel titles of the nineties worth revisiting for their stories IMHO. All the top writers of that period were mostly at DC, with the possible exceptions of certain runs by Warren Ellis, Peter David, Kurt Busiek and perhaps Mark Waid.

I believe one of the first things Joe Q did when he arrived at Marvel was to bring over writing talent from DC and recruit from the indy scene.

Highlights of the Joe Q years for me...
      Garth Ennis on Punisher.
      Grant Morrison on New X-Men and Marvel Boy.
      Mark Millar's Ultimates.
      Bendis on Ultimate Spiderman and Daredevil.
      Christopher Priest on Black Panther.
      Brian Vaughn's Runaways.
      Paul Jenkins' Senty and Inhumans.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
        Stays Crunchy in Milk
        • Aug 2, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
        Highlights of the Joe Q years for me...
        Garth Ennis on Punisher.
        Grant Morrison on New X-Men and Marvel Boy.
        Mark Millar's Ultimates.
        Bendis on Ultimate Spiderman and Daredevil.
        Christopher Priest on Black Panther.
        Brian Vaughn's Runaways.
        Paul Jenkins' Senty and Inhumans.

Good list. I'd also add Joss Wheddon on Astonishing X-men, and Warren Ellis had a short run on Ultimate FF.

The "big" events are great when they're a good story, but because they make money regaurdless the two companies will settle for the best story on hand annually.

DC's last event that I really enjoyed was Identity Crisis which was a self contained story. It bled over to other titles, but wasn't too intrusive, and all I needed to buy was one title more than I already was. I was really digging DC at that point but then the countdown thing happened. It started great for me then stabbed me in the back.

I think that's what Marvel has done well the last couple of events. The house of M and Civil War only required that one extra title to know what was going on.

Fact is both companies give us crap. I equate it to this. You will put up with your own kid's crap easier than someone else's kid. your kid acts up, and you keep them. Some other kid acts up and you don't want that kid in your house. Marvel is my kid.
        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

off the top of my head, the past few years of DC's highlights...

Geoff Johns on Teen Titans and JSA.
          Grant Morrison's We3, 7-Soldiers and All Star Superman
          BK Vaughn's Ex Machina and Y The Last Man
          Bill Willingham's Fables and Robin
          Rucka and Brubaker's Gotham Central
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Sentry
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 3, 2007

Originally posted by Comic Book Geek
            Good list. I'd also add Joss Wheddon on Astonishing X-men, and Warren Ellis had a short run on Ultimate FF.

The "big" events are great when they're a good story, but because they make money regaurdless the two companies will settle for the best story on hand annually.

DC's last event that I really enjoyed was Identity Crisis which was a self contained story. It bled over to other titles, but wasn't too intrusive, and all I needed to buy was one title more than I already was. I was really digging DC at that point but then the countdown thing happened. It started great for me then stabbed me in the back.

I think that's what Marvel has done well the last couple of events. The house of M and Civil War only required that one extra title to know what was going on.

Fact is both companies give us crap. I equate it to this. You will put up with your own kid's crap easier than someone else's kid. your kid acts up, and you keep them. Some other kid acts up and you don't want that kid in your house. Marvel is my kid.
            Werd!

But Marvel is doing some damned good stuff these days I must say! I haven't read comics like this since I was a kid "World War Hulk" I think is something that needed to happen for years it's been a long time comin that Hulk puts the heroes in their places.

Civil War I think made Spiderman cool to me again, he hasn't been this cool since Toddy Mac was at the helm, yes I agree how many Spider-titles do we really need?

"No more Mutans" was what the Scarlet Witch said before she slipped off into nothingness and that's what happened the mutant population dropped to almost nothing so Marvel did hear our cries. In my opoinion, comic companies in the 90's killed comics with the whole "collecting" thing (die-cuts, platium editions, limited editions, and such with terrible stories and half naked chicks practically doing nothing, don't get me wrong, I like naked women just as much as the next guy but Jesus get a penthouse mag and leave it be!) I love the stories! That lacked badly then now Marvel and DC are trying to clean up the mess done by the past editors and writers so all of that will take time! I have been totally enertained by what the comic world is giving me! Hope everyone else will too!
            sigpic
            http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
            [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎