• Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Eggs are crazy-too expensive !!!

Love eggs,

Why are they so expensive nowadays ?

Are there less chickens compared to before ?

Forget about Walmart or my local grocery chains ….....even my local Ma&Pa farms has them marked up crazy.

What-da-heck ?
  • Jmass
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 19, 2006

Someone more knowledgeable may correct me, believe it’s due to a combination of avian influenza and of course inflation. I agree - they are crazy expensive.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, egg prices are out of control at the moment. but really everything is much more expensive these days. i went and bought a 6 pack of solar lights at Home Depot. last year it was around $40, this year, $60

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

I paid $3.99 for a dozen last evening at a dairy/convenience store. Not that bad, considering.

Btw, the company that controls 20% of the retail egg market reported gross profits of $535.3 million in 2022, compared to $50.4 million in 2021.

Just in case you wanted to know why this was really happening.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

This is why we live outside of town and can raise our own chickens.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by monitor_ep
            This is why we live outside of town and can raise our own chickens.
            Back in the day, we raised our own chickens at my old house

Great brown eggs every morning ...

Today,... apartment complexes kinda frown on raising chickens … that's why I rely on my local grocery store

Comment

• Scott777
              Museum Patron
              • Jan 4, 2023

from what i've heard, the chickens are on Strike.
              a loaf of whole wheat bread was $1.08 last year at my Walmart. This year it is $1.88. I'd say that's more than a 7% increase as reported by the radio.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

From what I've read, and of course -take this with a grain of salt …….

There is supposedly an avian flu going around killing chickens (100% mortality)

That lead to speculative price gouging by farmers (especially ones in a particular group)

That lead to ALL farmers yelling FIRE!!! in a house that isn't even burning.

Hope the U.S.D.A. gets off it's FAT-PRIME-RIB-BEHIND and investigates this claim

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
                  From what I've read, and of course -take this with a grain of salt …….

There is supposedly an avian flu going around killing chickens (100% mortality)

That lead to speculative price gouging by farmers (especially ones in a particular group)

That lead to ALL farmers yelling FIRE!!! in a house that isn't even burning.

Hope the U.S.D.A. gets off it's FAT-PRIME-RIB-BEHIND and investigates this claim
                  ^---Homer salivating, "PRIME RIB"

Comment

• Scott777
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 4, 2023

Originally posted by Mikey
                    From what I've read, and of course -take this with a grain of salt …
                    I can't afford grain or salt, rn.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Scott777
                      I can't afford grain or salt, rn.
                      I hear what you're saying ….

Only saving grace, --- a VERY few local egg sellers are not buying into the collector narrative.

Here in the Pocono's and North Jersey found many local egg dealers with very reasonable prices.

Pay 10,000$ for a dozen eggs at Walmart ? … Or maybe 2.99$ or less at your local farm-merchant …

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

There’s a national egg shortage because all eggs come from big corporations that want higher profits and have removed more safety measures that have caused lots of issues.

That said I find the “price of eggs” thing really weird.

“They used to be a nickel, now they cost 25 cents!” Yeah I mean it’s a huge price jump but they’re still generally dirt cheap.

And yes I know they don’t cost a nickel; I was being hyperbolic. But eggs by and large are still one of the cheaper things you can buy. Unless you’re buying dozens and dozens on a weekly basis it does feel like the smallest thing to worry about when so many other things are going on. But I dunno. I don’t eat that many eggs.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by Scott777
                          from what i've heard, the chickens are on Strike.
                          a loaf of whole wheat bread was $1.08 last year at my Walmart. This year it is $1.88. I'd say that's more than a 7% increase as reported by the radio.
                          I WISH Bread was $1.88! Here in Chicago it ranges from $2.79 to $3.99 a loaf. Depending on brand and store.

Bloody Hell!!

Comment

• Scott777
                            Museum Patron
                            • Jan 4, 2023

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                            I WISH Bread was $1.88! Here in Chicago it ranges from $2.79 to $3.99 a loaf. Depending on brand and store.
                            for the WALMART brand? I can't afford the name brands.

Comment

• Scott777
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jan 4, 2023

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                              There’s a national egg shortage because all eggs come from big corporations that want higher profits and have removed more safety measures that have caused lots of issues.

That said I find the “price of eggs” thing really weird.

“They used to be a nickel, now they cost 25 cents!” Yeah I mean it’s a huge price jump but they’re still generally dirt cheap.

And yes I know they don’t cost a nickel; I was being hyperbolic. But eggs by and large are still one of the cheaper things you can buy. Unless you’re buying dozens and dozens on a weekly basis it does feel like the smallest thing to worry about when so many other things are going on. But I dunno. I don’t eat that many eggs.
                              well, a year ago they did cost $0.10 each. you weren't that far off.
                              I used to eat 3 every morning, and realized that the 12 pack was the same unit-price as the 18 pack of eggs at Walmart.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎