X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

AMC Mayfair Witches

Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches, or simply Mayfair Witches, is an American supernatural thriller drama television series created by Esta Spalding and Michelle Ashford, based on the novel trilogy Lives of the Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice. The series stars Alexandra Daddario as Dr. Rowan Fielding, Harry Hamlin as Cortland Mayfair, Tongayi Chirisa as Ciprien Grieve and Jack Huston as Lasher. It premiered on AMC on January 8, 2023, and will be the second television series in Rice's Immortal Universe, following Interview with the Vampire. (wiki)

Anne Rice Mayfair Witches.jpg

The series will focus on an intuitive young neurosurgeon (Alexandra Daddario) who discovers that she is the unlikely heir to a family of witches. As she grapples with her newfound powers, she must contend with a sinister presence (Jack Huston) that has haunted her family for generations.

Fair Warning: The TV series is charting its own version. If you read the books and were hoping for an adaption this is not your series.

That being said to me this feels like the other series that have been showing up as webseries. A cash grab in hopes to bring in fans. Back when the books came out (The Witching Hour (1990) Lasher (1993) and Taltos (1994)) I read them, so part of my brain is remembering the books while watching the series trying to override my brain into giving the show a chance. I am curious to hear what others think of the series.
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Jan 24, '23, 11:56 PM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Dark Shadow
    Creature Of The Night
    • May 14, 2011

I wanted to wait until the season was over before posting my thoughts on this. I'll attempt to keep it spoiler free.

We watched the last episode last Sunday, and I think it's fair to say that this season has virtually nothing to do with Anne Rice's Mayfair witches. Most of the names are the same, the two major cities are the same, there's a "presence", and the main character has sex. Aside from that, there isn't much else that ties this to even the basics of the original story.

There is no romance. There is no mystery (at least not much of one). There is no intrigue. There is no atmosphere. There is no balance to upset. There are no interesting characters. There is no cohesion.

As a series in of itself? Not much to appreciate there either.

In the original story, Rowan was a brilliant neurosurgeon, with a strong sense of self, who gets caught up in a torrent of mystery & destruction then struggles to wrestle herself free.

This Rowan is also a neurosurgeon, but behaves like a timid mouse. She has very little confidence in herself, exhibits very little intelligence, lacks depth, and for a central character is not very charismatic.

The fact that they missed the mark with the basics of the main character and gutted the essence of the story itself begs the question, why tap the source material to begin with?

If you're so much smarter than Anne Rice, if you think you're much more in tune with what "today's audiences" want, if you believe your story is superior...then why not create your own original story with your own original characters?

I don't get it.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

I loved the novels. Big Anne Rice fan since the late seventies. Hate. Hate. Hate. Alexandria Daddario. I know she is constantly being put forward as a beautiful and talented actress but all three of those words just seem like a lie. Maybe the late millennials and early zeds who had Percy Jackson as their hero are more the target here than I am but she is just not that interesting to me.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎