X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
    This season has definitely been the weakest so far. There have been one or two great action set pieces, but some serious narrative missteps and bad story decisions at Lucasfilm have sadly undermined the show overall.
    For sure the weakest.

I think their "director of the week" is causing the unevenness with the story this season. They don't seem to know what to do with Grogu anymore, and the "creed" is driving the story more than what we as the fans want to see which is the Mandalorian and now Bo Katan kicking somebody's butt. I actually liked several episodes this season, and a few others reminded me of most of the Book of Boba Fett series, which was so oddly poor. This week's episode was fun, and I didn't mind the cameos honestly. Seems to open Bo Katan out for her own series or taking ownership of the Mandalorian series, which I'm ok with.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by drquest
      For sure the weakest.

I think their "director of the week" is causing the unevenness with the story this season. They don't seem to know what to do with Grogu anymore, and the "creed" is driving the story more than what we as the fans want to see which is the Mandalorian and now Bo Katan kicking somebody's butt. I actually liked several episodes this season, and a few others reminded me of most of the Book of Boba Fett series, which was so oddly poor. This week's episode was fun, and I didn't mind the cameos honestly. Seems to open Bo Katan out for her own series or taking ownership of the Mandalorian series, which I'm ok with.
      You’d be okay with the Mandalorian getting replaced in his own show?

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Liu Bei
        Yeah actually, and it might sound bad saying that. I think the show has moved on a little from him being the main character. Not to mention there's like 3-4 dozen Mandalorians all waiting for different story lines. Plus Pedro is a much bigger deal right now than he was, so expanding out from him is probably in the cards for Disney as well due to costs. Even Grogu isn't being used as a draw either, he's there for cute/comic relief mostly especially this season.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Executive producer Rick Famuyiwa has pretty much said in a recent interview that Din Djarin isn't the only main character in the series any more.

Rick Famuyiwa: "I think that's been interesting as we've been on the journey of the show, and now that we're at this point, is that, what does that title (The Mandalorian) mean?
          I think now with Bo possessing the Darksaber, I know that there was a lot of expectations that might have shifted both in terms of what it meant for Din Djarin, but also for Bo and what does it mean?
          Who is the Mandalorian at this point? And so I think it could be anyone. And I think that's what they're trying to define in many ways, is what does that mean to be Mandalorian?

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Apr 8, '23, 3:28 PM.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I like this season just fine. I think the "newness" has worn of of the series, and I do think resolving plotlines of this series in the inferior Book of Boba Fett was a big mistake. Plus we've had a decent Obi Wan series and an excellent Andor series since then. Weekly Star Wars just isn't "fresh" anymore. But I'm entertained every week, and that's all I ask of it.
            sigpic

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Liu Bei
              I think they would have been better of from the inception to do 1 show not several, and simply call the show Star Wars Tales, and just run the arcs, so launch with MAndo season 1, when it wraps do a different story arc (characters, time, whatever, then do Andor next part and then back to more Mando episodes, then Obi Wan, then Book of Boba Fett, then more Mando, Ahsoka or whatever, and just tell whatever stories they want, taking breaks when they need to pile up some episodes, but to undercut some of the fan nonsense noise that has swirled about and let people just experience the stories as stories and not worry about this other nonsense that is out there. IT seems Star Wars "fans" will seize any opportunity to excuse to **** on Star Wars. It's what they do best.

Star Wars in the Disney era hasn't been perfect, and there have been some huge missteps, but there have also been some great stories told. But even if it had been perfect, there's a large segment of Star Wars fandom who would still find reasons to hate it, because that's what they do and seems to be the only satisfaction they can get out of any fandom.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

I enjoyed Obi Wan, and Andor was super good IMO. I'm still enjoying Mandalorian, but I thought that Boba Fett was just too far off the mark on most of the episodes. I think Ahsoka looks awesome and hope it will be, and season 2 of Andor I have high hopes for too.

I don't know if any of you watched the animated Clone Wars, or Rebels. I enjoyed Clone Wars from the beginning and so did my kids. It's just an awesome series to be honest. Not every episode mind you, but it tells a great compelling story in a cool time frame for Star Wars.

Rebels I started to watch when it dropped, but seemed to kid'ish to me and I stopped watching after a couple of episodes. Over the Covid time frame I decided to watch it, and wow what a great series that turned into.

Which leads me to another animated series, the Bad Batch. Season 2 of that just ended and it's a continuation of the Clone Wars, same animation etc. Those are really good and sometimes gritty episodes and I looked forward to the new one of that every week. Just generally characters not known to Star Wars being highlighted and it really is good writing and executed well. What you will find if you haven't watched any of these animated series is that Dave Filoni was creative on these, and you'll find references to Clone Wars and Rebels in most of the live action series we've seen and upcoming like Ahsoka since he's been on those as well. So it's worth your time to watch and enjoy those to help fill in some blanks.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Lucasfilm announced a Dave Filoni directed movie at SW Celebration this weekend set within the "Mando-verse" which will allegedly close out the stories of all the Disney+ shows.

They also announced a James Mangold movie focusing on the early Jedi, set 25,0000 years before ANH... (Better hope 'Dial of Destiny' makes money, James.)

And also a movie set within the sequel timeline featuring Rey and her efforts to rebuild the Jedi Order. (Place your bets now as to whether or not this one gets canceled.)
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
                    Banned
                    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by drquest
                    Yeah actually, and it might sound bad saying that. I think the show has moved on a little from him being the main character. Not to mention there's like 3-4 dozen Mandalorians all waiting for different story lines. Plus Pedro is a much bigger deal right now than he was, so expanding out from him is probably in the cards for Disney as well due to costs. Even Grogu isn't being used as a draw either, he's there for cute/comic relief mostly especially this season.
                    That's all probably true, but in such a case, they ought to end the series and put those side characters in their own series, in my opinion. The show was called "the Mandalorian", not "a Mandalorian" or "Mandalorians." There's just something unseemly and off-putting about seeing a character minimized in their own show, for whatever the reason.

For example, I don't like later episodes of Gunsmoke because Matt Dillon was only in the episodes for a few minutes, if at all. I know why they did it, because James Arness wanted more time off to be with his family, but knowing that doesn't make the episodes any better.

You can't take the beef out of the stew and still call it beef stew.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Plenty of potential new action figures in this week's episode.
                      Hasbro will get some decent mileage out of it.

Some great action sequences.... and yet, all roads inevitably lead to the ST.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                        Plenty of potential new action figures in this week's episode.
                        Hasbro will get some decent mileage out of it.

Some great action sequences.... and yet, all roads inevitably lead to the ST.
                        That’s another reason why I don’t bother with Disney Wars. I know Doomcock was convinced Favreau and Filoni were somehow going to erase the sequel trilogy, but they never were. There was never a war to save Star Wars.

Disney is a disease, and Star Wars the corpse. There are indeed two sides with a vested interest in the outcome. One side is cheering for the disease, the other for the corpse.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

i thought it was a great episode. lot's of cool fights and surprise appearances

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, it was jampacked tonight! Honestly, I've enjoyed the whole season thus far. It does seem to lead to other series but I probably won't check those out.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Last night's episode was great. It is setting up the sequel trilogy, but much like Clone Wars and Rebels is actually retroactively making those movies better. It does kind of suck that the New Republic was such an utter failure, though.

I too thought Hasbro was seeing dollar signs with nearly each scene of this episode. They are surprisingly slow to release figures nowadays, though. Solicitations for Luke with Grogu in the backpack from Book of Boba Fett just went up!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                                HULK SMASH!
                                • Apr 3, 2010

And there you have it. Season 3 concluded.
                                This is (presumably) the way.
                                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎