Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy Guru is at it again, claiming MOTU is canceled.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
    I do oppose the "sucking up for free toys" projection notion about Pixel Dan. I know Dan a little, and he pays for most of the stuff on his channel.
    I understand and I do generally think Dan is a nice guy. I knew him before he was popular. We've always had good interactions. I'm not here to smear Dan, it's just the facts. He gushed over MOTUC, Scott and obvious problems. The two would run around as bosom buddies at conventions and stuff for years. Far beyond the usual reviewer-friendly with company relationships. He was basically Scott's personal PR man for a while and it came with a lot of perks, namely free toys and extra access to Mattel. If we're discussing the rise of Scott, Dan for better or worse had a lot to do with that. Likewise Dan's rise in popularity came almost exclusively because Mattel sent him free toys. Sometimes MONTHS before anyone else. The two are irrevocably linked in that regard.

I generally think Dan's reviews have gotten better and are a bit more honest (not to say they were dishonest before he just glossed over issues) now that he doesn't get as much free stuff. But a spade is a spade.

Originally posted by palitoy
    I prefer it to the endless "Toy Company is the heartless enemy" mush that seems endlessly popular.
    Agreed on this front. I don't really think these companies are evil and the dudes that get all bent out of shape about that I find bizarre.

As for JLU, well, I can't really pat Scott on the back for that. Pretty much all the bad things he did in MOTUC he invented in JLU. He was deep in that community and most people forget how awful at times he treated those fans and milked fans in ways that exploited collector weaknesses that he learned as part of the forums. His JLU stuff usually doesn't get much mention because it was such a small line in comparison to what MOTUC became, and AFI fell apart dissolving the JLU community but it was basically the prototype for all his bad behavior. THAT SAID, yeah, it was nice to get a lot of those figures and it's possible that we may not have gotten them otherwise, but it's also possible someone else would have done better. Boy Wonder who handled the line before Scott, actually was working on a lot of things before his untimely demise and Scott just kinda picked up the mantle.
    Last edited by ODBJBG; Jan 18, '23, 4:32 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      ^ I haven't met the guy either. I guess I should remember he extended the JLU line well past any retail expectations. Getting the figures through Matty Collector was always choppy waters though, and I seem to recall he liked to deflect a lot about that.
      Yeah and that was really not good. I don't collect He-Man but I remember some video he did for Mattel that I watched and let's just say, he's not good at public relations.

I do hate the "evil corporation" vitriol that's thrown at toy companies ad nauseum. Come of the complaints are valid, but it often goes overboard to threats and/or slurs against people who work there, or demeaning comments about those who still support the proudcts or companies they are railing against. That kind of talk just makes me unsubscribe.
      Yeah, it's such a weird juxtaposition mainly because corporations sometimes make obvious or glaring mistakes, and we all go "I could do better!" However, it seems to swing the other way where people who are mega fans are convinced they could run a business better and get completely hateful and distrustful. The company can do no right. Oh, and if they've ever worked a retail job, they think they're the president of Hasbro.

The last time I waded into a debate about the packaging of something, I was called a liar by a couple of fans who have never worked in any industry. One guy said he would "Speak to the manager and get it right" like it's Starbucks. It didn't matter that I worked on the project, read the style guide restrictions or spent a decade in a licensing department, bottom line, I didn't know what I was talking about. I realize this sort of distrustful discourse and willfully ignorant biases exist outside of toys but man, it sucks it's made it's way into our hobbies. I just stopped trying to change people's minds, it's a waste of breath.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

What I remember about the JLU line is the poor quality. Warped rubbery figures that couldn't stand and ugly rushed looking sculpts. They also never did release a Wonder Woman or Hawkgirl with proper hip joints so they could actually move their legs. The Hal Jordon employee exclusive was also fairly big PR disaster.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, that was a 1701 level disaster, but worse. VERY poor decision. Releasing the unmasked Hal with the other swappable parts later helped a bit, but still no actual Hal GL figure. Just silly.

Being a JLU guy enough to start a podcast about it, I love the line for the representation. But yeah, the QC wasn't up to the standards of Kenner's BTAS offerings for sure.
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
            What I remember about the JLU line is the poor quality. Warped rubbery figures that couldn't stand and ugly rushed looking sculpts. They also never did release a Wonder Woman or Hawkgirl with proper hip joints so they could actually move their legs. The Hal Jordon employee exclusive was also fairly big PR disaster.
            The only problem I had was female characters' heads popped off like dandelions. The rest survived a lot of play, and yeah, I'm looking at this like a dad, not a collector, so don't misconstrue my perspective as facts, but they are a wonderful memory for me.

RE: The Hal Jordan, man, that almost seemed to be done to tick off the fans. Such a cool figure, and they were like bragging about destroying the mold after! Even I was like WTH? when that happened.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

...and now he's saying we should be able to tell it's ending, because the line is on clearance in many stores. That's now how he knows. He's picking up on clues other content creators and irate fans are in denial about. Where did the "Retailers were told in October" part go? He never mentions it. This guy should be in politics.
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                ...and now he's saying we should be able to tell it's ending, because the line is on clearance in many stores. That's now how he knows.
                It's obvious he has no idea and just comes off as having an axe to grind. It's probably best to try to ignore him.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I normally do, and will moving forward. I just find this behavior kind of fascinating to watch. Makes you wonder if he really believes what he's saying at any moment or is just constantly spinning in different directions to get attention.
                  sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

It's pretty apparent all parties are just guessing at this point, so it's really pointless to keep it going. There is no insider here.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

I mean, the line isn't on clearance at any stores, so he's not even doing good conjecture.

Select stores have clearanced out some figures in the post holiday resets, but every major retailer still carries MOTU Origins, at full price.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Some figures are on clearance in some stores around me, and Ollie's got large shipments of the beasts and some vehicles, but Marvel Legends also get clearanced, and that line isn't canceled.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

The Target near me doesn't have any MOTU on discount. But they did have the new Masterverse wave with Frosta. Which is an awesome figure, BTW.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

I forgot which video of his it was but someone in his comments section asked his thoughts on Mego's DC stuff. His reply? "That line is dead." I'm thinking to myself "Really?" This was sometime last year.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Please, I know more about Mego than he does, and I'm just a slightly-informed layman collector.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

I saw Mattel confirmed on their official MOTU Instagram channel the MOTU lines aren't going anywhere. More toys coming in 2023 and beyond. Eventually the Origins line will end, as all toy lines eventually do, but it will not because of something some youtuber said.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎