Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy Guru is at it again, claiming MOTU is canceled.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Toy Guru is at it again, claiming MOTU is canceled.

I see he's caused quite a stir declaring MOTU Origins and Masterverse are dead. He claims retailers were notified of this in October. Other YT hosts have come out swinging that he's spreading misinformation.

Since it sounds like this is either totally, or at the very least largely BS, what does this guy have to gain from this? Is he so hell-bent on making waves he's willing to completely erode what little credibility he has left in the industry and fandom? Does he have that huge of an axe to grind against Mattel for no longer being their brand manager he's willing to destroy his own personal cred to take them down with him? I find it utterly baffling, and strangely fascinating.

There's way too much ire and vitriol in toy collecting nowadays, but when someone who brands themself an "expert", and actually once had a position to back that claim up, goes around and spreads misinformation as fact...well, I kind of get the rage.
    sigpic
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Here's a rebuttal from Geek. Dad. Life.

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

And one from Rodimus Primal

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

And a very cheeky one from Analog Toys:

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I just can't stand him. He can shove The Mighty Spector...somewhere.

The only MOTU vids I follow are Toy Habits. Fans but not jerks.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, it's not true. He has also claimed Mattel doesn't own MOTU and would lose the rights in 2023. Also, obviously, not true. Negativity sells online I guess and it's an easy way to get clicks.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, I remember that. He was the only guy saying that, and of course it never happened.

Waiting for Pixel Dan to post a video on this. He's such a nice, fair guy, but I know he's going to want to squash this rumor pretty hard, as he's already doing on socials.
              sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

Toy Guru is a joke, during his run at MOTU he made people buy his make-a-figure entry even though he did not win back in the day.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Waiting for Pixel Dan to post a video on this.
                  I saw he already debunked it on twitter. I'm guessing he probably won't make a video about it to avoid drawing more attention to it.

About the rights issue. No idea why TG keeps pushing that lie. Even a quick google search debunks the ownership issue. For example, in 2014 Donald Glut, who wrote the first four mini comics, sued Mattel for the ownership of MOTU and unsurprising lost. The court ruled Mattel owns MOTU. Not Classic Media/Dreamworks/Univeral. Mattel. Mattel owns the IP full stop.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, if Mattel ever sold away the MOTU rights, they'd have to be pretty stupid. I can't imagine they would do that with their third most successful IP after Barbie and Hot Wheels.

It's like he has to make himself relevant in these circles, and the only way he knows how is making up stuff and stirring the pot. It's really sad. Move on dude. You had your time with this license, and it's over.
                    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

And let's suppose that 2023 is the last year. So what? Three-and-a-half years is a good run, they've done about 60 figures so far and have 2023 mapped out. Snake Mountain is forthcoming, hooray.

Would I like Princess of Power and Fuerza-T waves? Absolutely! But if I can get:

Sy-Klone
                      Snake-Face
                      Modulok
                      Spikor
                      Two-Bad
                      Slamurai
                      Shadow-Weaver
                      Battle Bones & Slime Pit

...I'd be so happy. It's a great toy line, a valentine to fans. I don't expect or want it to be MOTU Classics.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 17, '23, 1:36 PM.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I watched a bit of Rodimus Primals vid and I like to clear up the rights issue a bit more.

Mattel owns the MOTU and She-Ra IP. The toys, characters, designs, etc. Universal owns the Filmation library including the He-man and She-Ra cartoons. But they do NOT own the characters or IP. Only the Filmation looks of the characters. Mattel can still get VERY close to the Filmation designs because of their original style and licensing guides which had hybrid toy and cartoon designs.

The MOTU live action movie rights are also kind of a mess. But that's another story.

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

This is almost a social media cliche at this point.

1. Make outrageous and unsubstantiated claim to get people worked up.
                          2. When people challenge or refute you, claim how they are trying to suppress the truth.
                          3. If it happens to come to pass (regardless of whether it was exactly like you said or on the timetable you mentioned), then take your victory bow.
                          4. In the more likely event that it doesn't come to pass, then brag how it was only due to you speaking out and mobilizing your followers.

Almost genius... so long as you are not beholden to things like honesty or integrity...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                            ...Mattel can still get VERY close to the Filmation designs because of their original style and licensing guides which had hybrid toy and cartoon designs.
                            I personally don't advocate Filmation variants for Origins, but I'd like another She-Ra with tiara instead of mask. Perhaps the Bubble version?

Mattel has not always used the best judgment with variants: Mini-comic Stratos, for example, is a notorious peg-warmer. But had Matted inverted his accessory colors to match vintage variations, I think he'd have much better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                              This is almost a social media cliche at this point.

1. Make outrageous and unsubstantiated claim to get people worked up.
                              2. When people challenge or refute you, claim how they are trying to suppress the truth.
                              3. If it happens to come to pass (regardless of whether it was exactly like you said or on the timetable you mentioned), then take your victory bow.
                              4. In the more likely event that it doesn't come to pass, then brag how it was only due to you speaking out and mobilizing your followers.

Almost genius... so long as you are not beholden to things like honesty or integrity...
                              Could apply to politics as well.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎