Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Could Bring Back One Childhood Store...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

My second choice would have been Woolworths. I love five and doens and that’s the special one to me.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Gemco. My dad bought me my very first Megos there, a Kirk and a Spock.

A couple of cool Gemco toys and video games commercials…

Lots of game systems and cartridges creeping their way in...

Atari 2600 TV Commercialhttp://adtari.comclassic computer & videogame commercials

It was a membership California-based retailer owned by Lucky Stores (now Albertsons). Target bought the majority of its buildings and real estate holdings.

The other one is Woolworth. I loved their Lunch counter and Soda Fountain. Sooooo awesome!

Honorable mention: Montgomery Wards and The Emporium-Capwell.

And I do miss Sears in its prime. Great store back in the day. I also miss the old school Radio Shack too. Who didn’t like the cool build your own transistor radio set kit? Or those awesome walkie talkies?

Yeah, I miss all that…
      sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Merlin's Books in Tampa. This place played a huge role in making me the nerd I am today.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

I used to buy most of my action figure in the 70-80's at K-Mart in town. It was the biggest selection of toys beside Bottom Dollar but they sold more knock-off toys and those Whitman 3 pack comic books.

True story: While at Bottom Dollar we picked up some Knock-Off Barbie blow-up furniture that was used in the Wayne Foundation. Just wish I had taken more photos of my toys back then.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Duncan
            Museum focus-groupie
            • Jun 27, 2009

I think I'd bring back an old magazine & book store that sold stuff that had supposedly been thrown away for refunds from the publisher (or something like that). We used to get the coverless & 1/2 cover comics & mags, and coverless books, generally in the $.50 to 3 or 4 for $1 range. Good times. I got my baseball cards and Marvel stickers there...grape Charms pops, and occasionally a grab bag of random crap. One grab bag had a bumper sticker promoting streaking. We need more cheap reading materials and streaking in 2023.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

My RC Batman came from TG&Y...my Aquaman bendy from Skaggs Albertson(the first store that I know of like a Walmart Supercenter half grocery store and half department store), my Land Adventurer was from Page Drug Store and my Robin and Batmobile from Sears Wishbook. Not sure where my Evel Knievel set cane from.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Duncan
                We need more cheap reading materials and streaking in 2023.
                If there's anything that can bring our divided world together...
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I'm going with Nichols. It was similar to K-Mart,just without the Blue Light Special.

Comment

• KnightDetective
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                    I'm going with Nichols. It was similar to K-Mart,just without the Blue Light Special.
                    Oh yeah, a stop at Nichols during a road trip was always a treat! Had my first and only Mego Iron Man sighting there. In the same town, Mammoth Mart and Clarks (later Cooks).

Roses (used to be fantastic, discovered Star Wars there), Ben Franklin (best Halloween stuff in town), Pope's (Big Jim, POTA, Brach's candy counter and popcorn), but most of all my hometown Woods 5 & 10! Still vividly remember spotting the endcap of Mego display boxes for the first time. Aurora models, Big Jim, Johnny West, huge Lone Ranger diorama, tropical fish and a wonderful snack bar/lunch counter where they offered smaller versions of the Pepsi Looney Tunes glasses and delicious steamed hamburgers. Somehow they neatly packed all you'd ever want or need into a fraction of the space Wallyworld takes up.

Sorry, you asked for just one. Got carried away. I'm in my happy place right now!

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Shelby's

Back in the day (early-mid 80's) bought a ton of their Star Wars clearance stuff just to put away.

Original Star Wars MOC die-cast ships were like .99 cents apiece

Bought like 20 Y-Wings and they eventually lead to my trading/collecting Megos and lunchboxes

Die-Cast Y-Wings started it all for me

Comment

• J.B.
                        Guild Navigator
                        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
                        Die-Cast Y-Wings started it all for me
                        Die-Cast Y-Wing is my all-time favorite Star Wars toy.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by J.B.
                          Die-Cast Y-Wing is my all-time favorite Star Wars toy.

Always LOVED the Y-Wing Fighter too

Seems the most realistic of all Star Wars ships

In a way, a scaled down USS Enterprise

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎