X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

RIP Jeff Beck

Legendary guitarist and bluesman Jeff Beck has passed at age 78. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...it-1234659559/

I love a lot of his stuff, but a particular favorite was the cover of People Get Ready he did with Rod Stewart. I just love the guitar tones in that version.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • shaunaconda
    Museum Super Collector
    • Mar 29, 2020

Very sad…He was one of the all time greats!! He had a unique playing style, and was versatile with what type of music he could play.
    I was lucky enough to see him live a couple times…RIP!

Comment

• libby 1957dog
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 3, 2009

yeah jeff and rod have been friends /enemies since the mid 1960s lol

here they are a couple of years ago when the hostilities had ceased lol doing it live on stage at the hollywood bowl

jeff still had it ,rod maybe not so mutch

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

such shocking news. I just saw him live with Johnny Depp in November. man, he could make that guitar sing. RIP

jb7.jpg

Comment

• libby 1957dog
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 3, 2009

heres the jeff beck group at the bbc ,stranger than hi ho silver lining is the four top cover at around 50 mins lol

shame the jeff beck group dont get the recognition for the blueprint they laid down that pete grant followed to put led zeppelin together , might have been a different story if they had played a woodstock as intended ,

but jeff buggered off back to england just before as he had got word someone was "knobing" his "old lady" lol

Comment

• megoapesnut
            The name says it all!
            • Dec 3, 2007

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Damn. My buddy and I always argued over Beck or Eddie Van Halen as the best guitarist on the planet. I was always arguing for Eddie but years later threw in the towel and agreed with him on Beck. So sorry to hear this.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
              Career Member
              • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by libby 1957dog
              yeah jeff and rod have been friends /enemies since the mid 1960s lol

here they are a couple of years ago when the hostilities had ceased lol doing it live on stage at the hollywood bowl

jeff still had it ,rod maybe not so mutch

Here is an earlier performance with Rod and as he starts playing "People Get Ready" wait till 0:55 seconds into the tune and see Jeff's face!!! HAHAHA! they then go into "I ain't Superstitious"

Rod Stewart joins Jeff Beck on the stage at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles
              Last edited by Jorge Galvan; Jan 13, '23, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

My first Jeff Beck gig was in 1989. He had put out the GUITAR SHOP lp and he had a trio with Terry Bozzio on drums and Tony Hymas on keys. What made this such a good tour was it was a Co headlining gig with Stevie Ray Vaughn. this night Stevie opened and Jeff closed, at the end they would do SUPERSTITION as the encore together. Then sadly Stevie died not long after that.

I own all of Jeffs records and even those he Guested on, such as STANLEY CLARKE's solo lps and the incredible GARDEN OF LOVE LIGHT by Narada Michael Walden. Jeff was always full of surprises.

I went to a Jennifer Batten clinic some years ago and for those who don't know she toured in Jeff's band as 2nd Guitarist!!! Incredible! So naturally I picked her brain on Jeff and she was so kool telling me things about the man.

"Does he ever talk about COZY POWELL?" I asked as Cozy died in a car accident in 1997. She said; "Jeff has a BIG Picture of COZY hanging In his Living Room" that made me smile.

"Where the two of you gonna do YARDBIRD TUNES?" Was another and she said; "I was practicing them and tried to get him to do some, but he didn't want to do any." HAHAHA! Imagine Jeff Playing off to Jennifer subbing for JIMMY PAGE!!

I am not sure how many more times I went to see him, crappy memory of mine, but I pulled out a 2015 tour shirt this past Wednesday ( yesterday the 11th ) and I remembered that gig at the CHICAGO THEATRE as he had JIMMY HALL who sang on his FLASH LP from 1985 touring with him and they did do "SHAPES OF THINGS" HAHHAHA

I was on my way to the dentist and on the train ride home I am fumbling on my stoopid phone and I see. JEFF BECK DEAD AT 78.

I thought it was some kind of fkn stoopid sick joke but no it horribly turned into a nightmare. so I sat there staring out the window of the train and was thoughtless, how could this happen? Yes we all get old and die, but you would think someone like Jeff would say, "Hey Im gonna retire at age _______." And ride off into the sunset and live out his life in peace and grow old and die in their 90's or 100's. You stop and think, this **** does NOT HAPPEN to someone like Jeff Beck!!! So the shirt I wore that day I had with me in bed and I cried and I so badly wanted to wake up and see that it was some kind of stoopid mistake and he was still alive, but he wasn't and it wasn't until I heard from Brian May and what he had to say.

and I cried some more and it made me appreciate how much one human can affect so many people on this planet. My only saving grace is that I hope he is in Heaven reunited with friends and family and that he is again in the company of LEMMY, COZY, JIMI and most of all KEITH RELF. his old mate.

Jeff Beck. YARDBIRD FOREVER.

JG.
                Last edited by Jorge Galvan; Jan 13, '23, 1:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎