Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SHIN ULTRAMAN in US Theatres this January 11th & 12th Only!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

SHIN ULTRAMAN in US Theatres this January 11th & 12th Only!!

sorry for the late Heads up, been busy. I missed the US debut back in October at the Chicago Intl. Film Fest and still have the unused ticket!

Got mine for this coming Wednesday and Thursday and I am damn wel looking forward to seeing this, should be killer!!!!

plus check out the new trailer in the connection page!

Tsuburaya production's original film "Shin Ultraman". Shin Ultraman comes to US and world theaters. Director by Shinji Higuchi, Written by Hideaki Anno.

!

Elevate your entertainment calendar by viewing our upcoming events. Discover a world of exciting experiences, from movie premieres to exclusive screenings

Hope a lot of you make it out and see it!!

Cheers!!!
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

This looks super awesome and I would love to go, but am in a rural area where there are no theaters showing. Is this supposed to go to a regular distribution type schedule, or only the special 2 days? I am guessing I will have to wait for whatever streaming options come up in the future.

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

Did anybody here get to go see this? What did you think? I went to last night's showing (dubbed version) and had a blast.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I enjoyed it but if I'm honest, a lot of what nostalgia-driven fun. (which is fine!) The movie itself just wasn't great. The monsters were fantastic and the battle scenes were pretty cool. I loved that they kept some of the original music cues and sound effects in it. BUT... Some of the plot just didn't make sense, the dialogue was silly at times (at least the translated dubbing, anyway) and the acting was meh. There were definitely part that were so bad they were good like the director's choice to shoot an entire 3-person conversation from butt-level through the arms of chairs. The non-fight scenes were about the production level of Sy Fy originals.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Duncan
          Museum focus-groupie
          • Jun 27, 2009

I also saw the dubbed version, and this is basically what I thought, too. I wanted to like it and I wanted it to be good, but it only partially connected with me. I didn't like the abrupt editing through the whole movie (in the beginning, the wife was afraid that it was going to be some kind of stop-motion photography), the villains didn't work for me, and I really didn't like the long expositions on human nature. It's like an overly dramatic 7th grader wrote some of the dialogue after seeing It's a Wonderful Life for the first time. But the nostalgia was fun and the monsters and fights checked most of the boxes, though I was really hoping for less CGI and more guys in costumes. Now I want to see Shin Godzilla to compare.

Originally posted by Wee67
          I enjoyed it but if I'm honest, a lot of what nostalgia-driven fun. (which is fine!) The movie itself just wasn't great. The monsters were fantastic and the battle scenes were pretty cool. I loved that they kept some of the original music cues and sound effects in it. BUT... Some of the plot just didn't make sense, the dialogue was silly at times (at least the translated dubbing, anyway) and the acting was meh. There were definitely part that were so bad they were good like the director's choice to shoot an entire 3-person conversation from butt-level through the arms of chairs. The non-fight scenes were about the production level of Sy Fy originals.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by knight errant00
            Did anybody here get to go see this? What did you think? I went to last night's showing (dubbed version) and had a blast.
            Sorry, I went both nights and hadn't had a chance to comment, still dealing with Jeff Beck's death.

ok, Wednesday, was the SUBTITLED version and I don't know why but I was charged $19 as opposed to $14 for the Dubbed version on Thursday?!?!??? Even the manager couldn't tell me why??

I agree with some of the opinions here as I liked it, it was a good film, but NOT a Great film. The effects where great, I did enjoy the interviews that Director: Shinji Higuchi and actor: Takumi Saitoh did before the film and I was impressed with Saitoh-San and his acting.

The S-Class Species Suppression Protocol (SSSP) is the 21st century version of SCIENCE PATROL except they all wear suits and instead of getting out in the filed with ray guns, they run out into the field with LAPTOPS!!!! Which does not surprise me in this day and age and I thought that was brilliant!!!!

Saitoh-San is Shinji Kaminaga, our answer to Shin Hyata in 2022/23. And he pulls it off really good and I am not gonna SPOIL what happens to him later on.

Actress: Masami Nagasawa is Hiroko Asami who is assigned to work with the SSSP and is partnered up with Kaminaga. There was potential love interest there and maybe it will be explored in possible(?) Sequels??? Asami was with the Japanese version of the CIA; the Public Security Intelligence Agency before she got transfered. and let me say She is HOTT!!!! She came across as a bit of a WENCH compared to how Japanese women are portrayed and act in society. And I loved every bit of it. She can be my "BUDDY" anytime!

The Villain's? Well at least one was a TRUE Villain. The other...

I found this interesting as instead of fighting and destroying half of OSAKA or NAGOYA or OKINAWA, Ultraman and ________ go to a ____ and... Aw go see it on dvd when it come out.

But there is fighting don't get me wrong, especially in the beginning and there were some interesting Theories as to why KAIJU ONLY COME TO JAPAN! It does make you wonder; OKAY, what do we do if ALIENS come to Earth and not to the US, but to Ukraine, Mexico, Japan, Finland! How is it HANDLED????? It deals more with Invasion rather than Catastrophe; That I think is the key message here in this film and we see how Japan handles it.

If it is led to believe that this is the FIRST in a TRIOLOGY, then I wonder where they will go from here? Especially with what happens to all of them at the end and what they ALL went through individually and as a Group.

And a FYI Already DVD sales are happening here are some

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TBR-33094D

Lots of stuff Merchandising Most of it sold out!!!

Still I enjoyed it for what it is and am grateful that TSUBURAYA and TOHO worked together on this. Here's to the future.

JG!
            Last edited by Jorge Galvan; Jan 18, '23, 1:16 AM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

I saw the subtitled version and enjoyed it very much. (Subtitles always beat dubbing, in my opinion.)
              The battle scenes are fantastic. A few more epic kaiju confrontations would've been nice, but overall it was cool to see Ultraman in this incarnation.
              I hope the proposed sequels happen.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎