Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mego 50th Anniversary WGSH - What's in Wave 4?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TitansLair
    • Jan 6, 2023

Mego 50th Anniversary WGSH - What's in Wave 4?

I'm really loving the The 50th Anniversary World’s Greatest Super-Heroes line from Mego! I'm curious though, "The TOP 13 50th Anniversary DC MEGOS We’d Like to See" article at the excellent 13th Dimension mentions "Mego is evidently planning 24 figures overall."

That 24 is a curious number, since only 16 have been confirmed by Mego! That leaves 5 figures left unannounced from the OG run (Teen Titans and Mister Mxyzptlk) plus 3 mystery figures.

What do you think will be in Wave 4?

Wave 1 (December 2022)
    1. Superman
    2. Batman
    3. Robin
    4. Aquaman
    5. Shazam
    6. Green Lantern (NEW)
    7. Flash (NEW)
    8. Green Arrow (delayed to May)

Wave 2 (May 2023)Pre-orders up
    9. Joker
    10. Penguin
    11. Riddler
    12. Reverse Flash (NEW)

Wave 3 (Date TBD)Announced in video
    13. Wonder Woman
    14. Batgirl
    15. Supergirl
    16. Catwoman

Wave 4 (Date TBD) Unannounced / Speculative
    17. Mister Mxyzptlk (?)
    18. Wonder Girl (?)
    19. Speedy (?)
    20. Aqualad (?)
    21. Kid Flash (?)
    22. ?
    23. ?
    24. ?

I'm excited that "24" number is almost a lock for a Teen Titans re-release but also curious who might fill out the roster. Lex Luthor? Bizarro? Sinestro? Mera? Or a re-release of the Montgomery Ward exclusives, Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson and Clark Kent?

What do you think?

Links

https://13thdimension.com/the-top-13...to-see-ranked/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQLACWRPBJA

• Xavion2004
    • Dec 15, 2022

I would imagine that a non-removable cowl Batman and a non-removable mask Robin are under consideration.

I think they’ve opted to pass on Mr. Mxyzptlk after replacing him with Reverse Flash in the Super Foes wave…unless the line goes really deep.

Teen Titans…most likely, but between how late in the game they came out and how limited availability seemed to be, I think the nostalgia factor takes a big hit…and therein lies the problem. I would expect declining sales with each DC wave released. I’m not trying to be negative, and believe me, I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but unfortunately, that seems to be how it works with nostalgia based toy lines.

I think our best hope to keep this going is this:

Wave Four: Teen Titans

Wave Five: Spider-Man, Captain America, Batman, Robin

Wave Six: Iron Man, Falcon, Hulk, Daredevil (definitely the “Marvel Version” of GL and Flash), Green Goblin, Lizard

Wave Seven: The Fantastic Four, Thor

Wave Eight Tarzan, Conan

I think the Marvel license is essential for any sort of longevity.
    Last edited by Xavion2004; Jan 7, '23, 8:01 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Personally, I'm not in favor of reissued Teen Titans--not at the expense of other 8" figures. FTC did TT and did them pretty well except for Aqualad's awful head, and one can even upgrade them now on an S-type body. Of course, it might give Mego a chance to reuse that "sidekick" body.

And I'm guessing that DM has no interest in doing Mxy. IIRC he dislikes that figure/character. So, with the Marvel and ERB licenses less likely than more DC, here are my remaining eight choices to make 24 figures:

1. Hawkman

2. Mera

3. Mr. Freeze

4. Brainiac

5. Bizarro

6. Black Lightning

7. Poison Ivy

8. Nubia!

Alternates: Man-Bat, Scarecrow (though I expect to see him as a regular DC release), Luthor
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 7, '23, 9:24 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnpauljones
        • Oct 13, 2007

I would definitely go for Martian Manhunter. The Retro Action figure was my favorite of that line and I bet Mego could surpass that.

Comment

• johnpauljones
          • Oct 13, 2007

I would also think NonRC Batman and NonRM Robin would be candidates. How much would the license for Tarzan possibly be?
          I’d also pony up for Red Tornado. He was in the JLA during Mego’s heyday.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I really want Secret Identities, I wonder how Mego might offer these?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TitansLair
              • Jan 6, 2023

Originally posted by Xavion2004
              I would imagine that a non-removable cowl Batman and a non-removable mask Robin are under consideration.

I think they’ve opted to pass on Mr. Mxyzptlk after replacing him with Reverse Flash in the Super Foes wave…unless the line goes really deep.

Teen Titans…most likely, but between how late in the game they came out and how limited availability seemed to be, I think the nostalgia factor takes a big hit…and therein lies the problem. I would expect declining sales with each DC wave released. I’m not trying to be negative, and believe me, I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but unfortunately, that seems to be how it works with nostalgia based toy lines.

I think our best hope to keep this going is this:

Wave Four: Teen Titans

Wave Five: Spider-Man, Captain America, Batman, Robin

Wave Six: Iron Man, Falcon, Hulk, Daredevil (definitely the “Marvel Version” of GL and Flash), Green Goblin, Lizard

Wave Seven: The Fantastic Four, Thor

Wave Eight Tarzan, Conan

I think the Marvel license is essential for any sort of longevity.

I'd be bummed if they skipped the Teen Titans; I think there's a nostalgia factor there (even if they never appeared in the window box packaging). I'd be really disappointed if they skipped the Titans in favor of all-new figures that just doesn't seem right

Likewise, as dodgy as that Mxyzptlk figure is, it'd be a shame to have that be the only figure ignored completely

I would LOVE LOVE a Marvel run of these, so let's hope they get the license

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                Radioactive!
                • Feb 13, 2010

I'd love to see characters who could 'substitute' for the unavailable Marvel figures: Killer Croc for Lizard, Commander Steel for Captain America, Black Spider for Spider-Man, Blockbuster for Hulk, Eclipso for Green Goblin, Metallo (Bronze Age) for Iron Man, Shining Knight for Thor, Claw for Conan, Elastic Lad for Mr. Fantastic, Sun Boy for Human Torch, Blok for Thing, and Invisible Kid for Invisible Girl.

Comment

• wise guy
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 29, 2014

Since these are 50 th anniversary I would guess Teen Titans (new bodies) and painted heads Batman, and Robin, Mr. Myxptlk (new fat body). I don't think third string figures will be in this series but Martian Manhunter, John Stewart,Black Adam
                  Deathstroke should make it to boxed versions

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Scarecrow is rumored already. The Marvel stuff if it happens will be thru Hasbro ala Ghostbusters. I'd like more what if type figures like Luthor Hawkman Atom.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

It would be sweet if mego got back the Marvel license, but I’m not holding my breath, it might be to much of a high price tag depending. For future waves, Alter-egos with the additions of Billy Batson, Oliver Queen, Barry Allen and keeping with DC, Hawkman and added villains Lex Luthor, Mxyzptlk on fat body, Parasite and Black Manta and Black Adam.

Maybe Tarzan (if you can get the Rice Burroughs license) and Isis would be a nice addition to the female wave.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

I hated the fat Mxyzptlk but had one because that was the only Superman villain. I did go the way of getting a Kojak to fill in. If they do another Black Adam I hope he comes with his cape.

Back in the 70's I could care less about the alter-egos, really what are you going to do with Bruce Wayne & Dick Grayson? There was no boardroom for them the go to. Clark Kent made since but without the rest of the Daily Planet characters he didn't fit in.

I would love it if they would release Mera, Black Canary, Zatanna, Hawkgirl.

If they are going to re-release the Teen Titans please fit the mistakes like Speedy outfit. I would also like to see Aquagirl get released.
                        Last edited by monitor_ep; Jan 8, '23, 9:01 PM.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TitansLair
                          • Jan 6, 2023

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                          I hated the fat Mxyzptlk but had one because that was the only Superman villain. I did go the way of getting a Kojak to fill in. If they do another Black Adam I hope he comes with his cape.

Back in the 70's I could care less about the alter-egos, really what are you going to do with Bruce Wayne & Dick Grayson? There was no boardroom for them the go to. Clark Kent made since but without the rest of the Daily Planet characters he didn't fit in.

I would love it if they would release Mera, Black Canary, Zatanna, Hawkgirl.

If they are going to re-release the Teen Titans please fit the mistakes like Speedy outfit. I would also like to see Aquagirl get released.
                          I think we all hated tall, fat Myx - but to me if you're going to do an anniversary line with all the figures, you have to throw him in. A nice compromise might be to do him as a 6-inch figure so it's more in keeping with the character.

I'm with you on the secret ID figures; I'm not sure if a mass retailer like Walmart would see value in them. But again, Brice, Dick and Clark were technically part of the OG run; Maybe instead of a Montgomery Ward exclusive they can make it an online exclusive LOL

Comment

• TitansLair
                            • Jan 6, 2023

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            Scarecrow is rumored already. The Marvel stuff if it happens will be thru Hasbro ala Ghostbusters. I'd like more what if type figures like Luthor Hawkman Atom.
                            Scarecrow would honestly be disappointing, we already have 4 Batman villains. Luthor would be great, he's a big oversight in the original run. Atom is viable! I'd be cool if he came with a mini plastic version of himself like how GL came with the lantern.

I'd love Hawkman but those wings might be problematic for a Mego figure (and yes, I know FTC made one)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Hawkman is well within the range of "later" Mego--compare Mego Flash Gordon figures' detailed accessories. Admittedly, he's not perfect for a box, but the wings could be packaged unattached.

I'm all for a Scarecrow with a better Bronze-age head, but I don't think he has to be 50th anniversary.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎