X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Captain Action Collecting gotchas

Collecting Captain Action is a challenge. Not only was it from a toy maker that wasn't small exactly, but it wasn't producing millions of toys like Hasbro GiJoe was. It also was only in the stores for a few years as well. Marx is a similar company, but let's be honest, Marx figures and accessories were made to last, and last they have. Same goes with the Hasbro GiJoe.

So regarding Ideal's Captain Action, scarcity is high, and demand is high because of scarcity, and also because of popularity of the licenses they had. They also weren't built to last unfortunately.

Ideal's deficiencies were many.

Bad paints, and masks that ripped too easily. The equipment/accessories were brittle and broke or were lost too easily. How did any of the GH pocket watches and Spiderman spiders survive?

The parachute was a cool toy no doubt, but how many poor Captain Actions were forced to spend the rest of their lives on crutches? This leads into the early Captain Action figures with the common broken elbows and wrists. Which was happily fixed on the 2nd issue body with the nylon joints. Action Boy's weak ankles are legendary as well.

Bodysuits that would snag if you looked at them the wrong. We know now that taking the hands off before putting on a body suit is the best option to avoid snags and runs, but how many kids on Christmas morning just wanted to switch Aquaman into Spiderman only to find they shredded Spiderman's right sleeve? The horror!

These all above were all immediate issues kids probably found right away.

Us collectors 50+ years later also got to deal with fun fact that the equipment/accessories loved to melt into unused trash while in contact with all of those rubber belts. Also all of the rubber bits and belts, Aquaman fins etc, shrinking so much they are unusable and wouldn't even fit on the figures anymore.

Sigh.....

But overall, this is another part of what makes collecting Ideal's Captain Action fun. Finding a piece that shouldn't have survived, but against all odds it did. It weathered sitting in a box for decades before showing up at your house, to be carefully taken out and placed on a figure for your collection. At least that's the plan, until you accidentally drop it on the floor and it breaks, (which I have done)....
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Excellent points. I only have one vintage CA item--an Aquaman bodysuit--and I'm so impressed by the fabric and construction. It's high-quality, similar to '60s GI Joe clothing. The lining, collar facing are all nice touches.

I think the figure itself is fantastic in comparison to GI Joe, and the accessories are well-designed if not durable.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Excellent points. I only have one vintage CA item--an Aquaman bodysuit--and I'm so impressed by the fabric and construction. It's high-quality, similar to '60s GI Joe clothing. The lining, collar facing are all nice touches.

I think the figure itself is fantastic in comparison to GI Joe, and the accessories are well-designed if not durable.
      I agree, the costumes are nice, but fragile to a certain extent. The figure itself is better articulated than Joe, easier to pose and has actual hands that can hold things. Imagine that!

It's basically a copy of the Marx Buddy Charlie figure.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thesharkman
        Museum Patron
        • Nov 1, 2019

at least you don't have to pay TOYSHOP prices for multiple-melt marked pieces now...LOL.

thesharkman

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by thesharkman
          at least you don't have to pay TOYSHOP prices for multiple-melt marked pieces now...LOL.

thesharkman
          Yeah no doubt.... You never knew what you got until the mailman arrived back then, not even pictures usually.

Oh and I found an old Toy Shop recently while looking for something else. From 1997 maybe?? I used to puts ads in there from time to time back in the day.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Shermanator
            • Dec 27, 2014

Excellent summary of the trials and tribulations of the CA collector Danny!

Steve

Comment

• thesharkman
              Museum Patron
              • Nov 1, 2019

Originally posted by drquest
              Yeah no doubt.... You never knew what you got until the mailman arrived back then, not even pictures usually.

Oh and I found an old Toy Shop recently while looking for something else. From 1997 maybe?? I used to puts ads in there from time to time back in the day.
              I had a running ad for matt mason stuff.

thesharkman

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎