Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenlanternmego89
    • May 8, 2010

Thoughts on bandless MEGO hands?

So this has been a topic that may have been discussed here in the past.

But I was gifted the MEGO Green Arrow that came out not too long ago and I LOVE the new posable bodies. I can actually pose these in ways I've always wanted to now which is AMAZING especially for the price point!

I do have one thing that has been on my mind since having the figure in hand. NOTE: It's not a negative, it's just an esthetic thing for me.

It's the hands.

There was something about the MEGO hands that i love so much which became the standard for the figures after the Type 1 bodies. The new hands do capture a striking similarity to the original Type 1 hands. But aesthetically I always loved the later hands more and when I see them it screams MEGO to me.

This was probably implemented also for fully clothed figures to determine if the figures are using the new posability or not and thats fine. But I just WISH they had the older style hands personally.

Again, this isn't a negative at all, the hands are very beneficial especially for someone like Green Arrow. I just personally am fond of the other style of hands that became commonplace.

Am I alone?

• PB
    • Jul 2, 2021

It’s not just you. I prefer the Type 2 hands as well. They are a more neutral pose and I always associate that style with mego specifically. When it comes to the super heroes, you don’t really need a trigger finger for Superman and I would argue he looks strange with one.

Mego evolved their own body design three times even before Type 2 so I can’t fault them for moving on. The new hands remind me too of the earlier style in shape but they look to small compared to all other Mego bodies. If they were going for a more anatomically accurate proportioned bandless body, then why are the shoulders bigger than ever? The waist articulation is a step backwards aesthetically and functionally too loose.

I don’t want bands either but I’ll still be reaching and restringing type 2 for my Mego customs.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

I'm actually not a huge fan of the vintage Mego hands. Accessories need to be really narrow to fit in the hand, and the hands were hard plastic. The male hands were poor and the female hands were downright terrible.

Unfortunately I don't think the new hands significantly improved them. As you mentioned, they do seem a little undersized. And they aren't much better for accessory support.

The upcoming Super Joe Unlimited release reminded me how much I loved the vintage Super Joe hands. Super Joe had a more cupped hand with a flexible "kung fu grip" that could hold weapons, look like a fist, etc. It gave the figure a lot more play options. Admittedly, they are now notorious for dissolving over the years, even for figures never removed from the package... but still...

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

The Star Trek original mego hands held the phasers and communicators pretty well, although the type 2 were much better for holding than type 1’s were. But I agree that most other original Mego hands weren’t to good for holding any accessories they came with, Green Arrow and Conan come to mind, and Tarzan’s little black knife.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎