X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Ames is coming back?

Just read they are suppose to be coming back later this year. They're suppose to be starting small by opening only seven stores.
  • Robert_Anthony
    Museum Patron
    • Sep 5, 2015

I have heard of Ames. But there weren't any near me. But, there was a chain like them...Caldor. According to a report by NBC CT last month...

Ames Department Stores, Inc. made the announcement on their website that they will be opening locations in Connecticut once again starting in the Spring of 2023. The department store chain closed down its locations in the early 2000s. NBC Connecticut contacted a spokesperson listed on the website for additional details. In an email response, Shannon de Molyneux replied Monday night and said the company would be opening stores in Connecticut, New York, and Pennsylvania first before expanding to Rhode Island.
    Wonder if any will be near me...live in Greenwich, CT. So, anywhere between here and say Norwalk I would accept. Maybe even Port Chester, NY.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Up by me they were called Ames/Big N

Comment

• greenlanternmego89
        • May 8, 2010

Originally posted by Robert_Anthony
        I have heard of Ames. But there weren't any near me. But, there was a chain like them...Caldor. According to a report by NBC CT last month...

Wonder if any will be near me...live in Greenwich, CT. So, anywhere between here and say Norwalk I would accept. Maybe even Port Chester, NY.
        Always good to see a fellow CT resident on here!

Hoping they pop up in the eastern part of CT as well. Oh the memories of Ames

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

They were around for several years by me. They took over a few old Gold Circles.

Comment

• rykerw1701
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 27, 2007

Growing up, Ames was my go to store in a rural town in Western NY. They were basically Kmart, and given that Kmart recently finally died a long and painful death, I can't see where there is a place for Ames anymore. But I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

I wonder what business model they'll operate under. Department stores seem to be a thing of the past.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

The jury still seems to be out on if the source of these reports is credible, or if it's basically a hoax.

Ames was a strong retail presence in my town and area for many years, and I'd love to see them return. But seems pretty far-fetched.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

If it is a hoax, it's a cruel hoax. I started having visions of a Two Guys popping up in my area and it was glorious!
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                    Banned
                    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                    Growing up, Ames was my go to store in a rural town in Western NY. They were basically Kmart, and given that Kmart recently finally died a long and painful death, I can't see where there is a place for Ames anymore. But I hope I'm wrong.
                    There’s still 3 Kmarts left. Not dead, but certainly on dearth’s door. The greatest irony is I think Blockbuster will outlast Kmart.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Very cool.

I think that they used to carry Robotech figures.

It could be great, if they fill the store up with many good things.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Suppose to be releasing more info next month.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎