Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best body available to convert female FTC figures to?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KnightDetective
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by darkbros
    Yvonne / Gracie can fill out the front, but the hip silhouette isn't there like the Mattel RAH.
    At the risk of being inappropriate, I have three words for White Elephant Toys regarding this: Clip-on booty!

Comment

• ToyBob
      Museum Patron
      • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by KnightDetective
      At the risk of being inappropriate, I have three words for White Elephant Toys regarding this: Clip-on booty!
      Can't talk about human like bodies without somebody getting mad. I had similar thought for a belly plate like that, was trying to figure out a body shape for short cartoon character figure but Felix the Cat was slimmer than Bart Simpson or Mego Oz Munchkins.

The Mego body system is based on the of best overall average in proportions, the male figure basically changed from a medium girth original to a mild buff muscle man(Well mild by comic book standards heh.) that could still work for non super hero characters.
      Different era I guess but if I had to speculate on what the Mego female figure should have updated to in the 70s would likely be a figure similar to what Susan Storm looked like in that time period, more rounded hips and generally more visually striking silhouette. Like even fashion doll arms & legs have a very fine featured "straight line" appearance that's not very dynamic looking like super hero comics do anatomy.
      I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• KnightDetective
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by ToyBob
        Different era I guess but if I had to speculate on what the Mego female figure should have updated to in the 70s would likely be a figure similar to what Susan Storm looked like in that time period, more rounded hips and generally more visually striking silhouette. Like even fashion doll arms & legs have a very fine featured "straight line" appearance that's not very dynamic looking like super hero comics do anatomy.
        I read once that fashion dollmakers understated some of the female doll proportions (especially the waist) to allow for the scale of fabrics, layers, etc. to build up to the desired form. Seeing some of the stuff done these days with thin, properly scaled fabrics is impressive. Alas, too pricey to be practical for Mego, at least judging by Mezco and NECA prices.

(Not a dig at those companies. Can't imagine how they get that quality in mass market numbers from modern factories.)

Comment

• ToyBob
          Museum Patron
          • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by KnightDetective
          I read once that fashion dollmakers understated some of the female doll proportions (especially the waist) to allow for the scale of fabrics, layers, etc. to build up to the desired form. Seeing some of the stuff done these days with thin, properly scaled fabrics is impressive. Alas, too pricey to be practical for Mego, at least judging by Mezco and NECA prices.

(Not a dig at those companies. Can't imagine how they get that quality in mass market numbers from modern factories.)
          Yeah I could see that in some respects, it's what happened in both male & female for small foot scale with shoe scale material tolerances for thicknesses. But even then the fashion doll standard is much too like a seamstress dummy in overall anatomy aesthetics Ie. not very human looking underneath the clothes.
          The waist isn't the worst issue but the hip silhouette has more in common with a Star Wars droid than a human. Also the way the torso is completely amorphous in definition was always strange, not just realistically shaped breasts but collarbone definition, rib diaphragm, a touch of abs, and a bellybutton are missing, again very robotic skin.

There certainly is a much wider range of affordable thinner clothes to use now than compared to the past, like those early vinyl coats on Kenner SW had no give to them, just eternally starched.
          I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎