Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best body available to convert female FTC figures to?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xavion2004
    • Dec 15, 2022

Best body available to convert female FTC figures to?

If this seems a bit redundant after my Mary Marvel thread, I apologize, but after picking up a 1966 FTC Batgirl the other day, it’s become more of a general question.

I have a female S-Type body, and I think they’re great, but they are problematic as several have mentioned when it comes to the feet being too big for FTC footwear, and issues with retro heads fitting properly and securely, even with the retro head adapter piece.

While doing some research last night here on the forum, I noticed that some posters got excellent results moving the FTC 1966 Batgirl to a Mattel Retro Action Cheetah body. (I didn’t even know that line existed until a couple of days ago).

So, what IS the preferred female body to upgrade FTC figures with a direct swap? S-Type seems out. Mattel RAH has been proven to work, but Cheetahs apparently aren’t as cheap and plentiful as they were a couple of years ago. Has Mego produced a better female body since their relaunch? Should I try to find an original Mego Type 2 female body? Or am I just better off waiting to see what they come up with for the 50th Anniversary Super-Gals?

This is so confusing for a newbie. If it’s the RAH Cheetah, I’ll pony up since there aren’t many FTC female figures beyond Mary and Batgirl that are “must haves”. I just want to make sure I’m not wasting money.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Is the Mattel retro cheetah body the same as the Janine in the Real Ghostbusters set with Samhain? I have one in the closet. And I can use the Samhain figure in my monsters.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

yeah same body on all Mattel retro females
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

I thought it would be but I hadnt bought many of the Mattel pieces.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

The Snapstars dolls are really close to Mego scale too.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Xavion2004
            • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
            Is the Mattel retro cheetah body the same as the Janine in the Real Ghostbusters set with Samhain? I have one in the closet. And I can use the Samhain figure in my monsters.
            I really appreciate the offer, but I checked eBay, and that’s a pretty pricy set. I wouldn’t feel right having you split up your set or giving you anything less than fair market value for her. I have a line on a couple of Cheetahs at a reasonable price if I decide to go that route. Right now, that’s where I’m leaning. There’s no telling if the 50th Anniversary Super-Gal figures will even be backwards compatible.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Unfortunately, there is no perfect option for females... but I agree that the Mattel body is the best option currently.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

I was lucky a few years back to get the Cheetah on clearance. Those female bodies are the best out there for Remego purpose.

About the Yvonna. When I was doing my own Elvira custom I noticed that the feet were too big so I shaved off the little toe and part of the foot. After that the boots/closed toe shoes work.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Xavion2004
                  • Dec 15, 2022

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I have one Cheetah on the way for $33.52 shipped. Sadly, that appears to a pretty good deal based on recently completed auctions. I’m going to wait for that one to arrive and convert one of the FTC ladies over before trying to track down another one.

I may have to get the Dremel out at some point and try monitor-ep’s suggestion on the Yvonne/Type-S feet. I feel like I would have to find a way to make the Type-S body work for FTC swaps if I continued to buy FTC female figures, but I’m trying to keep it to a minimum. I never intended to go beyond the Mego 50th Anniversary figures, but there are a handful of characters like Mary Marvel. Yvonne Craig Batgirl, Black Canary, the Atom, and the Creeper that I always wanted as a kid and that have been done by FTC. I’m not sure if any of them will be made by Mego either within or outside of the 50th Anniversary line.

Comment

• Xavion2004
                    • Dec 15, 2022

Well, that was a fiasco. I couldn’t wait to transfer my Mary Marvel from the FTC body to the Mattel Cheetah body, but I just wasn’t crazy about the result. Although I like the Mattel body better overall, it was just too small for the dress.

I was also having a hard time getting the Jo head off the FTC body, and when trying to heat it up, I fused a bit of the hair. Fortunately, I was able to comb it out and put the figure back together, but not the result I was hoping for.

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Xavion2004
                      Well, that was a fiasco. I couldn’t wait to transfer my Mary Marvel from the FTC body to the Mattel Cheetah body, but I just wasn’t crazy about the result. Although I like the Mattel body better overall, it was just too small for the dress.

I was also having a hard time getting the Jo head off the FTC body, and when trying to heat it up, I fused a bit of the hair. Fortunately, I was able to comb it out and put the figure back together, but not the result I was hoping for.
                      Aw, that stinks! For Jo, did you heat it up using hot water? Not only does it get the benefit of the heat, but the water also seems to soften it up a bit. Plus, I've never had an issue with water damaging the hair... water can only get so hot before it evaporates...

Comment

• Xavion2004
                        • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by sprytel
                        Aw, that stinks! For Jo, did you heat it up using hot water? Not only does it get the benefit of the heat, but the water also seems to soften it up a bit. Plus, I've never had an issue with water damaging the hair... water can only get so hot before it evaporates...
                        No I used a hairdryer. I won’t be doing that again.

After I made that faux pas, I did use hot water in a cup with a little of my wife’s conditioner and combed it out. Everything turned out fine. Fortunately, if there’s one things these figures have, it’s plenty of hair!

On another positive note, my first thought after opening Cheetah was “What a nice figure. Kinda seems like a shame to use it for fodder”. So I put her back together, I’ll find a custom box for her, and she can join the rest of the WGSH.
                        Last edited by Xavion2004; Jan 6, '23, 6:58 PM.

Comment

• ToyBob
                          Museum Patron
                          • Feb 21, 2022

That is interesting, I just got a Janine but haven't taken it out yet, but that has got me looking into the Cheetah that shares the same body. I'm still cutting my teeth with restorations but I'll file that away for when I try customs. I sure do have high hopes for this new Mego female body, for all the things I like about the brand I just don't like that original body much Ie. more doll than action.
                          I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• darkbros
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 3, 2012

If you want to use the Yvonne / Gracie / Type S Female, contact White Elephant Toys and have them send you the smaller feet.
                            they make the smaller feet now and *chef's kiss* Mego style boots and high heels fit them just nice, no shaving all.

In fact, just buy theYvonne/ Gracie straight from them.

If you want the best body with that coke bottle shape, the Mattel RAH Cheetah / Janine/ Wonder Woman is the best bar none,
                            when it comes to a leotard. Yvonne / Gracie can fill out the front, but the hip silhouette isn't there like the Mattel RAH.
                            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• ToyBob
                              Museum Patron
                              • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by darkbros
                              If you want to use the Yvonne / Gracie / Type S Female, contact White Elephant Toys and have them send you the smaller feet.
                              they make the smaller feet now and *chef's kiss* Mego style boots and high heels fit them just nice, no shaving all.

In fact, just buy theYvonne/ Gracie straight from them.
                              That was interesting learning about figure feet how the shoes are thicker and bigger than real life-size shoes are and you get the cumulative result in the final girth. Guess I grew up with molded in figure clothes so I never thought of things like this. Shame the ankle bend isn't very deep in the adapter, though getting OG shoes to fit is still nice. Can see why the boot-leg was devised for the Mego system Ie. just eliminate the whole conflict between the parts.

Originally posted by darkbros
                              If you want the best body with that coke bottle shape, the Mattel RAH Cheetah / Janine/ Wonder Woman is the best bar none,
                              when it comes to a leotard. Yvonne / Gracie can fill out the front, but the hip silhouette isn't there like the Mattel RAH.
                              Does coke bottle mean like wider hips than hourglass?

Never quite understood how the "fashion doll" standard of measurements came about in the past and stuck around so long? It's like vague rounded pyramid bosoms, an upside down cone for a ribcage, leading to hips narrower than a man, with girthy hip haunches, and a flat butt.

Mego's OG female body is satisfactory enough for the most part but does have that narrow hip/big haunch thing going on. Funny with the male bodies the shoulders can made too wide by default in a lot of brands where I think the Mego male faired well at not being too hyperbolic or having extra abs.

I do like my new style big Poison Ivy, the diaphragm seam can make it easy to change bust size like S-type bodies can, hoping the new 8" Mego female body includes this easy configuration option. Be nice have some hip/thigh piece swaps in the same manner, action figures are always so,so hip narrow.
                              I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎