Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...eh...what's with the 50th Ann. legs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by zeedox
    I'm not sure why anyone would want to not look closer at the issue. I buy them anyhow, I enjoy them, I have doubles, I'll get all the new ones regardless. So much care went into these. They don't feel at all like knock off nostalgia. But time will roll on, and not being able to bend the legs of a super hero toy? I bought Batman and Robin from the Classic TV Toys 12" scale, swapped Robin's mask with a Lone Ranger one and I am shocked to have to admit they are more fun. They shouldn't be more fun.
    I agree 100%...At this juncture, Mego should've made sure of some simple quality issues..for example...ROM and Costumes. Oh, and don't forget the small body frame from the inception.
    Last edited by Ivaniski; Dec 31, '22, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• thatblockoguy
      • Mar 24, 2010

Originally posted by zeedox
      Is there a fix of some kind?
      So is the QC issue that the legs don’t bend properly? Still trying to infer from the discussion what the issue is?

Comment

• Xavion2004
        • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by thatblockoguy
        So is the QC issue that the legs don’t bend properly? Still trying to infer from the discussion what the issue is?
        What I have experienced first hand: The leg doesn’t want to bend more than 45 degrees at the knee (and that may be kind). The OGs bent 90 degrees at the knee.

What I believe others are experiencing: Even just a little pressure to move the knee beyond that point can cause it to break.

How I believe others have solved the problem: Trimming enough plastic behind the calf to allow for the full 90 degrees of motion.

What Mego is doing to solve the problem: A running production change.

What I want to know: How are we supposed to know which figures have the running change and which don’t when buying a figure in a brick and mortar store or online?!?

How I’m personally dealing with this issue: Leaving my full set of seven MIB and waiting for the running change before buying any more to open. (I already picked up an extra Batman from Wal-Mart to open). I want multiples to build out a counter display, so this isn’t that big a deal for me, but for those that want to open, display, and/or play with the figures, it kinda sucks.

How Mego plans to make it up to us: Vouchers for free Waltons 50th Anniversary figures. (Limit of two per household.)

Comment

• thatblockoguy
          • Mar 24, 2010

Thank you Xavion. Have people been finding these same issues on all the new bandless bodies like Shazam and Black Adam or are thèse issues unique to the 50th anniversary figures

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            It would make your comment more meaningful if you did!
            Wouldn't be an issue if they came to market with a finished product. And if people like you weren't so condescending about it. Too short, not quite as short, breaking joints, waist gaps all should have been taken care of long ago before it was sent off to China.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Xavion2004
              • Dec 15, 2022

What exactly ARE the three running changes? If fixing the articulation at the knee is one of them, what are the other two?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Wouldn't be an issue if they came to market with a finished product. And if people like you weren't so condescending about it. Too short, not quite as short, breaking joints, waist gaps all should have been taken care of long ago before it was sent off to China.
                Oh, I thought we were both being snarky. My bad!
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Not only am I snarky and condescending, I'm also helpful! Here's everything so far:

The three changes were:
                  The first change was to make the torso larger. The second change was to make the connection between the torso and pelvis more sturdy.
                  That should have been it since the legs were fine on the first two figures, but the factory evidently used an older version of the legs that didn't bend as far without anyone realizing. It wasn't discovered until the figures had shipped.

The broken limbs:
                  This is the result of people trying to bend the joints without checking which direction the joint is turned. Here's a tip on how to keep that from happening.

There is a raised elbow bump on the forearm at the back of the joint. Feel around on the arm until you find it and turn it to the back, then you can bend the arm forward in the correct direction.

If it's hard to feel thru the outfit, rotate the forearm until it's backwards. You should really be able to feel it in the front because of how much it will stick out.

Same with the knee. Feel for the kneecap and you'll know that's the direction to bend.

As far as how to cut the back of the knee, this shows the before and after. The cut one is Green Lantern which is why he has white joints.

The goal is to expose more of the joint itself. The main cuts are the bottom edge on back of the thigh and kind of a wedge shape on the back of the calf.

The results are a bigger range of motion.

So there you have it. And it was only kind of condescending, so there's that!
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Xavion2004
                    • Dec 15, 2022

Thanks for clearing all of that up, CrimsonGhost.

After years of collecting Hasbro’s 1/12 lines, I have a sixth sense when it comes to backward joints in general, so I didn’t get tripped up by that one when I opened Batman. Your tutorial would have definitely saved me some time, though.

Comment

• nubee
                      Career Member
                      • Feb 15, 2010

I wonder what "updated" issue will come with the new body? Mego really need to get their act together. Luckily for me, the knee issue is not that big of a problem for me as was that dang sidekick body that I disdain. Mego fix the height issue but then generate a knee issue where there wasn't before.
                      Last edited by nubee; Dec 31, '22, 6:51 PM.

Comment

• Ivaniski
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 24, 2007

There is another issue...it's with the heads...for example, the Superman and Shazam heads have problems with the eyes. Superman's eyes are slanted forward (should be flat, really evident from the side profile of the head)...Shazam's eyes are not symmetrical...Left eye sits lower the right eye. These were the issues that I had with the FTC heads and eyes...Lopsided and slanted. I will be providing pictures soon. Incidentally, Mego should have "Beta testers" to test a sample figure for posing and thoroughly check the sample figure for any Errors/Malfunctions. I will do it for free if selected. I mean...like my buddy told me today, and I QUOTE..."ITS LIKE MEGO AND FTC SHARED THE SAME DEFECTIVE MOLDINGS FOR THEIR WGSH HEADS".
                        Last edited by Ivaniski; Jan 1, '23, 4:18 PM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Ivaniski
                          There is another issue...it's with the heads...for example, the Superman and Shazam heads have problems with the eyes. Superman's eyes are slanted forward (should be flat, really evident from the side profile of the head)...Shazam's eyes are not symmetrical...Left eye sits lower the right eye. These were the issues that I had with the FTC heads and eyes...Lopsided and slanted. I will be providing pictures soon. Incidentally, Mego should have "Beta testers" to test a sample figure for posing and thoroughly check the sample figure for any Errors/Malfunctions. I will do it for free if selected. I mean...like my buddy told me today, and I QUOTE..."ITS LIKE MEGO AND FTC SHARED THE SAME DEFEICTIVE MOLDINGS FOR THEIR WGSH HEADS".
                          Here is what I previously posted.
                          Mego Shazam Wv15 Head Deformity.jpg

Comment

• Ivaniski
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 24, 2007

Exactly,... look...don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer"...But, here we are 50 years later and these figures have issues that could've easily been detected before production began. To call these "Action Figures"...does an injustice to the purchaser...these should be for individuals that prefer to keep them in the box for display only (akin to a semi-statues)..C'mon Mego; I wouldn't mine paying $30 a figure..If you would've given us the same bodies used for your 14" Superhero line....(great body articulation, better costume material with ironed emblems on the shirts. C'mon Mego Let's get this right !!!
                            P.S. Superman's and Aquaman's neck are too long....REAL BUMMER !!!
                            Last edited by Ivaniski; Jan 1, '23, 4:57 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by TRDouble
                              Here is what I previously posted.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]34707[/ATTACH]
                              Captain Quasimodo.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

The broken limbs:
                                This is the result of people trying to bend the joints without checking which direction the joint is turned. Here's a tip on how to keep that from happening.

That's not all of it. I had a RC Batman that I had to heat up to break loose both elbows. Its not all in people bending them the wrong way.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎