Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...eh...what's with the 50th Ann. legs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
    Oh, I thought we were both being snarky. My bad!
    Nahh you and the "Doctor" come off as condescending and smug. Little arrogant even.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Ivaniski
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 24, 2007

Hence the WGSH Shazam eyes...one higher then the other. Both Superman a work in progress.
      20230101_205436.jpg
      20230101_205520.jpg
      20230101_205455.jpg
      20230101_205507.jpg

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

It’s pretty funny but, I really don’t remember any quality issues with the original mego’s, I’m sure there were but for the most part, bodies were in good working condition and outfits fit properly, there might have been some minor issues like a figure with broken knee pins on the blister card, but honestly there wasn’t much to complain about unless you really beat up on the figure and the limbs broke off, but it took some doing and it would have been the fault of the person.

Today 45-50 years later, things are (supposed) to be better quality and better factory produced, but obviously that’s not the case here with the complaints from folks who have bought these 50th anniversary mego’s and it’s understandable and a bit aggravating I’m sure. Now with saying all this, is it safe to say that the mego’s we had as kids were better quality at a much cheaper price? or maybe the factory workers of today just don’t put the effort into making something with the quality it deserves?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          Nahh you and the "Doctor" come off as condescending and smug. Little arrogant even.
          I am definitely all of those.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Xavion2004
            • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by TrekStar
            It’s pretty funny but, I really don’t remember any quality issues with the original mego’s, I’m sure there were but for the most part, bodies were in good working condition and outfits fit properly, there might have been some minor issues like a figure with broken knee pins on the blister card, but honestly there wasn’t much to complain about unless you really beat up on the figure and the limbs broke off, but it took some doing and it would have been the fault of the person.

Today 45-50 years later, things are (supposed) to be better quality and better factory produced, but obviously that’s not the case here with the complaints from folks who have bought these 50th anniversary mego’s and it’s understandable and a bit aggravating I’m sure. Now with saying all this, is it safe to say that the mego’s we had as kids were better quality at a much cheaper price? or maybe the factory workers of today just don’t put the effort into making something with the quality it deserves?
            I mean, I played with my Megos day in and day out for hours at a time as a kid, and most of them were replaced at least once, but that was due to normal wear and tear over a year or more. It was just the usual stuff that most of us probably experienced like lost/damaged emblems, gloves and boots splitting at the seams, accessories breaking (Green Arrow’s bow and quiver were especially bad), paint rubs, marks or stains on the costumes, snaps coming loose, etc.

Maybe they should have recreated the original bodies as well.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

We don't need friction here, can we take it down a notch please?
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Ivaniski
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by Xavion2004
                I mean, I played with my Megos day in and day out for hours at a time as a kid, and most of them were replaced at least once, but that was due to normal wear and tear over a year or more. It was just the usual stuff that most of us probably experienced like lost/damaged emblems, gloves and boots splitting at the seams, accessories breaking (Green Arrow’s bow and quiver were especially bad), paint rubs, marks or stains on the costumes, snaps coming loose, etc.

Maybe they should have recreated the original bodies as well.
                I wholeheartedly agree with you sir. Currently...I'm replacing these new wave bodies with just basic Doc Mego bodies....I've been re-stringing for years now and feel that it brings me closer to the original Mego body of yesteryear. Incidentally, the bodies that Mego produced 4 or 5 years ago (in their re-launch) had major issues also....strung too tight that the arms would collapse upon doing horizontal position with the arms. Again, a bona-fide beta tester for the prototype action figure should be selected. Hence, one of many of my re-strung figures....The Green Arrow pictured below......
                Picture002Small_original.jpg.
                Last edited by Ivaniski; Jan 1, '23, 11:41 PM.

Comment

• zeedox
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 10, 2007

The real issue is the original Megos were in the toy aisle, this collectable market just isn't the same demographic, I think folks are half expected to not open the box...

Comment

• Xavion2004
                    • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by zeedox
                    The real issue is the original Megos were in the toy aisle, this collectable market just isn't the same demographic, I think folks are half expected to not open the box...
                    I think that’s definitely part of it, but while I don’t think it’s fair to expect a figure created expressly for the adult collector market to hold up under hours of play like the originals did, I do think it’s fair to expect them to hold up under general handling and posing like any other adult collectible action figure.

Having said that, these 50th anniversary figures have been a fun ride that I continue to enjoy despite a few bumps in the road.

Ivaniski, your Green Arrow looks fantastic!

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

I’ve had some tightness in one of my Batman’s elbows, but that was it. The rest is feeling to make sure the joint is in the correct direction before bending the (limited range) joint.

That said, it’s probably not a good idea that unwritten instructions are needed to properly move the joints without breakage for a product sold to the general public at mass retail like Walmart.

Also said, there is only one lonely Robin left at my Walmart. These have seemed to sell better than any previous Mego figures, at least by wave releases, not necessarily individual figures.

Comment

• Figure8
                        Museum Patron
                        • May 18, 2016

I got Shazam today and his eyes ... look ridiculous. One is much lower than the other and funnily slanted. This problem is beginning to drive me a little crazy to be honest. I noticed it first with Mego's new Riddler, but didn't mind that much because it gives him a kind of sinister villain look. I did mind very much when I got Shazam and Black Adam from the last wave and BOTH had those non-symmetrical eyes. The WGSH Shazam is more or less ruined for me because of this problem (although they did a good job with the suit) and I seriously consider cancelling my preorder for Superman. So please, please, Mego, fix this problem! It's also a terrible disservice to your very talented sculptors because I'm sure they don't sculpt the eyes that way ...

Comment

• Ivaniski
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 24, 2007

I just forwarded this email to ZLC. I'm really liking the bodies height and the heads being the same scale...However, the lack of knee bending to it's fullest extent...Is. a turn-off for me. Does anyone know if Mego plans to address this issue.....
                          Dear, ZLC
                          Would love to know if Mego is fixing the issue with the knees not fully bending in their New 8" Superhero line. I bought the entire 50th Anniversary Mego Superhero line, and I had to dremel all of them. Wish they get resolve this ASAP.
                          Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 26, '23, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• darkbros
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 3, 2012

And again....4 year old me wants 50th anniversary figures.....
                            53 year old me says..."With these problems, no thank you."

*sigh*

I hate 2 say it, but I almost wish for the 50th anniversary figures we had just gotten them "Captain Action Style"...a kit with a head, outfit, and at a reduced price
                            where we could just buy our bodies we wanted and assemble them ourselves.

For the few problems I've had with NuMego bodies ( broken hip pins, a Kris Monroe with two left arms, and the Black Dye staining everything),
                            I actually long for those days, at least those where livable / replaceable.
                            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• scott metzger
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Ivaniski
                              There is another issue...it's with the heads...for example, the Superman and Shazam heads have problems with the eyes. Superman's eyes are slanted forward (should be flat, really evident from the side profile of the head)...Shazam's eyes are not symmetrical...Left eye sits lower the right eye. These were the issues that I had with the FTC heads and eyes...Lopsided and slanted. I will be providing pictures soon. Incidentally, Mego should have "Beta testers" to test a sample figure for posing and thoroughly check the sample figure for any Errors/Malfunctions. I will do it for free if selected. I mean...like my buddy told me today, and I QUOTE..."ITS LIKE MEGO AND FTC SHARED THE SAME DEFECTIVE MOLDINGS FOR THEIR WGSH HEADS".
                              THere seems to be something odd going on in the factories with what I referred to as "face schlorp." With some of the previous heads, like Cavill Superman and Picard, one side of the face drooped down. I thought changing to the solid heads would fix that, but a couple of the newer solid heads had the same problem (like the Big Red Cheese). It has to be something in the molding process, but I have no idea what. Most of the heads are fine, but a few schlorp.

Comment

• hizzy
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Apr 1, 2023

Did mego ever improve on the knee issue? Did they ever implement the rolling changes mentioned upthread? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎