Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Some 50th Figures (Clothing Issues?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Thoughts on Some 50th Figures (Clothing Issues?)

I finally opened my BBTS shipment of The Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam and Aquaman. Maybe it's my recent crankiness with life in general, but I am a little underwhelmed. Maybe even disappointed.

The Flash was my most excited one to open and before I even opened him, I saw a huge gap between his suit and neck line. I opened him to see that the suit is just ill fitting. It seems like it was cut to the smaller body as it refuses to come all the way up in the crotch, helping cause the neck line issue. I've managed to pull it up a bit, but a gap persists and it bugs the heck out of me. I've seen others online that do not appear to have this issue, so my only hope is that Walmart eventually gets these in so I can sift through them like I did with Batman, Superman and Robin and find one satisfactory to me. At least the head sculpt is nice. But back in the box he goes...

Green Lantern was next. Paint apps on the mask could have been cleaner, but it's not really noticeable from a distance. The suit fits perfectly. A Really nice figure, from head to toe.

Aquaman and Shazam both have the suit crotch issue, not going all the way up, but at least there is no gap at the neck on Aquaman. I just have to futz with the suit to get the belt to not be crooked (the shorts seem to be cut or sewed no symmetrically on both legs) and use a stand to guarantee he stay upright. Shazam has a neck gap, but it's kind of expected with the character. The material feels a little weird and he could use a little futzing to get his belt straight too.

The newest bodies are definitely lacking in range of motion, but I love that GL can bend his ring wearing hand's wrist. And stickers just suck. If you get good ones (GL, Aquaman's belt), they work fine. Middle of the road ones (Flash), they are okay. But get a wrinkled or nicked one (Shazam) and Blech!

50th Green Lantern has already replaced my FTC GL in my JLA line-up. FTC's Hal was a fine figure, but Mego's blows it away. Just... Wow. The jury is out on The Flash. Maybe I will see if differently tomorrow when I am hopefully in a better mood and state of mind. And I can place them next to each other for a comparison. I haven't decided what to do with the repros. I had FTC on Type S bodies of Superman and Batman which were easily replaced with the 50th versions, along with adding Robin, but I don't have the space for the others right now. And depending on Green Arrow comes out, he might be good enough to replace my hybrid FTC and Mattel displayed JLA GA.
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Given we have 50th anniversary WGSH figs and I have the chance of buying these at retail for the first time in my life, I find it hard to nitpick or complain about these. I know as adult collectors, we call do that, but these ones hit different for me. "IF" I ever see these at a Toys R Us or Walmart in my city, I will grab every camel toed, crotch buldging one I see..........wait, that came out wrong.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

It's a crap-shoot with mail order and mass-production. My Flash has a well-fitting neckline but a suit run.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Xavion2004
        • Dec 15, 2022

I can relate, TRDouble. As a general rule, I try not to open toys when I’m in a bad mood, but if I followed that rule in 2022, I’d have a room full of unopened boxes stacked from the floor to the ceiling.

My Flash has a small gap between his suit and neckline, but I didn’t give it much thought. I saw it more as another “perfect imperfection”. I seem to remember having that issue with my Megos in the 70s, especially Captain America.

I’m sure it also helps that the only one I’ve opened is an extra Batman I picked up at Wal-Mart. For me, they lose a bit of their nostalgic charm out of the box.

This is also why I’ll always be more of a 6” to 7” scale collector in the Marvel Legends style. Clothed figures in any scale drive the perfectionist in me cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. There are just too many things that can and do go wrong. Fortunately when it comes to Mego repros, I’m a little more relaxed when it comes to my expectations.

Comment

• puckace
          Museum Super Collector
          • Feb 5, 2009

At least you guys have seen these in stores. MIA in the Walmarts around me. Stinking Walmart cancelled my Flash order on Christmas Eve. Talk about the Grinch (Wally) :(

I've had to go online for every single one of these. Thank goodness for Zlc. I should have my Flash in about a week. I've wanted a Mego Flash since I was a kid in the 70's. My 40+ year wait is almost over!

Comment

• Xavion2004
            • Dec 15, 2022

There are not enough words in the English language (or any other) to describe just how much Wal-Mart sucks, both as a brick and mortar store and as an online retailer. Those cheap prices come at a cost, and that cost is your mental and emotional well-being.

Comment

• nubee
              Career Member
              • Feb 15, 2010

[QUOTE=TRDouble;1496250]I finally opened my BBTS shipment of The Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam and Aquaman. Maybe it's my recent crankiness with life in general, but I am a little underwhelmed. Maybe even disappointed.

The Flash was my most excited one to open and before I even opened him, I saw a huge gap between his suit and neck line. I opened him to see that the suit is just ill fitting. It seems like it was cut to the smaller body as it refuses to come all the way up in the crotch, helping cause the neck line issue. I've managed to pull it up a bit, but a gap persists and it bugs the heck out of me. I've seen others online that do not appear to have this issue, so my only hope is that Walmart eventually gets these in so I can sift through them like I did with Batman, Superman and Robin and find one satisfactory to me. At least the head sculpt is nice. But back in the box he goes...

Green Lantern was next. Paint apps on the mask could have been cleaner, but it's not really noticeable from a distance. The suit fits perfectly. A Really nice figure, from head to toe.

Aquaman and Shazam both have the suit crotch issue, not going all the way up, but at least there is no gap at the neck on Aquaman. I just have to futz with the suit to get the belt to not be crooked (the shorts seem to be cut or sewed no symmetrically on both legs) and use a stand to guarantee he stay upright. Shazam has a neck gap, but it's kind of expected with the character. The material feels a little weird and he could use a little futzing to get his belt straight too.

The newest bodies are definitely lacking in range of motion, but I love that GL can bend his ring wearing hand's wrist. And stickers just suck. If you get good ones (GL, Aquaman's belt), they work fine. Middle of the road ones (Flash), they are okay. But get a wrinkled or nicked one (Shazam) and Blech!

50th Green Lantern has already replaced my FTC GL in my JLA line-up. FTC's Hal was a fine figure, but Mego's blows it away. Just... Wow. The jury is out on The Flash. Maybe I will see if differently tomorrow when I am hopefully in a better mood and state of mind. And I can place them next to each other for a comparison. I haven't decided what to do with the repros. I had FTC on Type S bodies of Superman and Batman which were easily replaced with the 50th versions, along with adding Robin, but I don't have the space for the others right now. And depending on Green Arrow comes out, he might be good enough to replace my hybrid FTC and Mattel displayed JLA GA.[/QUOTE

I have 3 50th anniversary Shazam. All 3 of 'em r the same regarding the short inseam. From my rudimentary research via Google, the original Shazam had the same issue. I'm thinking since the 50th anniversary r reproductions made as close as possible to the originals, the "flaws" were also included. Just my guess on the matter.

Regarding the Flash. I have one as u mentioned and another where the neck line of the suit went up to the figure's head.

Just FYI. I bought all mine from ZLC . (No Walmart nearby.)

Comment

• darkbros
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 3, 2012

I'm terribly on the fence about these.

I want the same "Super Stoked Excitement" I got when I saw the Mattel RAH heroes were being released and we got an
                accurate JLA GA, a Hal Jordan, A Barry Allen, and two of my three most wanted from the Legion of Doom...Black Manta and Cheetah.

I want the same " Pleased as Punch Happy to have them Excitement" when FTC gave us Bizarro, Gorilla Grodd and ToyMan, and Samurai and
                yes, ( less than perfect) Black Vulcan and Apache Chief.

But I've been to four Walmarts now, and I've seen, held and turned over and over, Superman, Batman and Robin 50th anniversary figures,
                and I just can't get myself to walk up to the register with the damn things.

4 year old me says "Yay! their out!!"
                53 year old me says "remember all the posts thus far about the issues", and as I see a run here in that Superman suit, and I see an uneven
                pair of Batman shorts, and I read about Broken arms, and lack of possibility....."GAAAH!"

Eventually, I hope, nostalgia will take over, and 4year old me and 53 year old me will come to a consensus and I'll end up with a set
                that will stay boxed ( which I'm not an MIB collector, so that will be a struggle) and at least Batman, Robin and Shazam, three of my
                five favorite Megos of all time, will go home with me.

but for now, I struggle.....
                Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

My Walmart still has the rest of the case still there. I bought one set of three.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I'm looking forward to seeing these in store here next month.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• puckace
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Feb 5, 2009

Well at least you guys have the opportunity to look at them/pick them over. All I see week after week is bobble head Burham, Avatar, and a few boxed nuns.

Comment

• puckace
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Feb 5, 2009

Shocked this morning to find a lone Medusa at my local Walmart. Needless to say she came home with me

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^Congratulations, she's a scarce one now.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

From what I've seen at my Wallys, I think she's two per case.

Comment

• Figure8
                              Museum Patron
                              • May 18, 2016

I got GL and Flash today. Haven't opened them so I can't say anything about the quality of the bodies. What I can say is that these 2 guys just make me happy, probably as happy as a kid when I got a new Mego. It's actually incredible to finally own a genuine 8 " Mego GL and Barry Allen Flash! I can't stop staring at these two and I think Mego simply nailed their look. GL is perfect. My Flash has a chest emblem that's not fully attached and, yes, there's the gap between the suit and the cowl. But I really don't mind this, because I appreciate the vintage feel of it. Barry wouldn't have been perfect if they'd made him back then. Now I can't wait for my Batman, Robin and Shazam to arrive. And I'm sure to order doubles of GL and Flash to open and play with as soon as they're more widely available, maybe even here in Germany.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎