Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your definition of a "Super Hero"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Hulk---simpler definitions on anything really is the way to go
    your definition seems to nail it nicely

and the rest of the stuff you said about a hero and villain's parallel
    to humanity's moral compass/spectrum rings dead on to me as well

THATS why I've become a deeply interested superhero fan over the last
    18 years or so

Specifically, a fan of Superman as an icon defined a lot by his various morals
    most poignantly, for me, his code against killing at all costs

but many superheroes and villains fill in other niches as well

Just for one example I find the Joker's fascination with chaos and
    (to a lesser extent) lack of emapthy to be intriguing as far as villains go
    It seems the Joker really embodies alot of evil to me, the black to
    Superman's white----they may not normally go up against
    each other in the comics etc., but as far as DC & Marvel characters
    go----they are my favorites because of the whole moral icon thing
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Hulk
      To me a Superhero is someone who has extraordinary abilities, natural or otherwise, who regularly sacrifices their own self interests for the sake of others.
      That's it in a nutshell, folks....nice and simple...gets the job done without putting restrictions on/eliminating anyone because of lack of "powers".
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

now define "extraordinary"
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Sentry
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 3, 2007

My personal defintion of a super hero is a person who was normal on the surface then one day something happened to them to change their life forever, then they themselves decide what they want to do with what happened to them, they either try to be a better person or they choose to be a menace.

Hulk knows right from wrong. He has the brain of a 4 year old (depending on which Hulk we are talking about here there are 5 different Hulks 3 are good 2 are baaaaad in ways that scare even me and he's my favorite comic book hero!) Hulk is very gentle to where deer and rabbits will come and eat from his hands, where animals like that scurry and run from the beast known as "Man" (The Lawgiver rules!) He has a very big heart and wants to do the right thing but people are scared ignorant things that bring the worst out in wonderful and "Incredible" things. (Just ask King Kong)

Heroes mostly are tormented, having very large crosses to bear and dealing with everyday problems as well as the wicked idividuals that try to make days bad for everyone else to profit on.

The PERFECT example of a SUPER HERO is my screenames sake "The Sentry"
          totally idestructible but he has a dark side, the void. Most of the appeal to a Hero like this is how much he has on his shoulders and has to deal with daily.

For the most part I consider Judge Dredd to be one helluva hero he dosen't have superpowers but he has a willpower like none other.
          Sometimes willpower is all you need in a dark and dismal world like the one we live in and in the world of comics.

Truthly, I would rather be normal and not have the hassle (although I would love to have the Hulks power, hell, who wouldn't?) Life sucks enough sometimes without having supervillans making it worse!

Comics show us in a way how good we really have it, as normal people and if that message is clear in the story with the character, well then that's good enough for me.
          sigpic
          http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
          [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

-Superheroes are bigger than life: They engage in adventures and situations far beyond those you'd expect in real life. They save the world, they uncover deep reaching sisnister plots, they change the course of mighty rivers....

-Superheroes are iconic. They represent an idea rather than a person. Batman is NOT a character; no matter which version, or who's writing him. He's an idea... he's the need for justice within us all. A REAL person who led a twenty year crusade against crime because of the trauma of his parent's death would develop all sorts of problems. (I shouldn't say that.... some aspiring comic writer might read it and then we'll have to put up with "Batman: The Bedwetting Years" or somesuch...)

-Following from the above; they're not subject to the same sort of circumstances real people are. And when they ARE; it's a bigger than life thing. Lonely Superman flees to his frozen base to contemplate the world... he doesn't just grab a hankie and crank one out. (I probably shouldn't have mentined THAT either....) If they WERE subject to the same rules, laws and psychology we are, would they be able to wear their undies outside their tights? I think not.

Don C.

>For the most part I consider Judge Dredd to be one helluva hero he dosen't have superpowers but he has a willpower like none other.

Dredd has the BEST superpower: "win." That's what he does, and the best stroies were written with this in mind. As soon as Dredd showed up, the story was over; the entertainment came from watching the reactions of the crooks, or the insane odds Dredd would overcome. (He beat the Devil, not by outwitting him; but with a stick.... until he gave up. No THAT'S tough!)

Willpower can be a superpower too. Plus, Dredd has equipment rivaling Batman's, and access to insane levels of medical tech. (PLUS: Prior to the Judge Kraken thing he had cybernetic eyes with lowlight, IR and targeting.)

>Heroes mostly are tormented, having very large crosses to bear and dealing with everyday problems as well as the wicked idividuals that try to make days bad for everyone else to profit on.

Well.... that's sort of a newer thing. This was Marvel's schtick when they started in the 60's. But I don't think it's neccessary to have tormented heroes.

Don C.
            Last edited by ctc; Jun 11, '07, 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎