X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xavion2004
    • Dec 15, 2022

Upgrading FTC Mary Marvel

Hi All,

Along with the first wave of Mego 50th Anniversary WGSH figures, I picked up a FTC boxed Mary Marvel (Kresge version). I have a soft spot for the character, especially this version, as she was one of my first 7-11 Slurpee cups. I always wanted a Mego of her back in the day.

Anyway, I love the outfit on the FTC figure, but that body makes me cringe. I haven’t held an original female Mego in hand in 45 years, so I don’t know if it’s modeled on that original body or not, but it just feels completely wrong. Also, while the Invisible Girl head is nice enough in and of itself, the face seems a little too mature and the hair seems a little too red for Mary.

The best answer I’ve found looks like moving the outfit to a Type S bandless female body (Yvonne) along with a matching medium breast retro head adapter. For the head, I kinda like the Mego Waltons Mary Ellen head, and there are a few available at a reasonable price on eBay. It seems like they’ve held up well with no perceptible graying that I can see.

Will this work? I guess my biggest concern would be the flesh tones on the Mary Ellen head not matching the Type S flesh body. It doesn’t have to be exact, but I’d like it to be close enough that it isn’t distracting. Also, is there a pair of red underwear available that would fit her? The white lace underwear she came with just seems completely out of place to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Well, I guess I’ll find out soon enough. I ordered the body and the medium breast plate/retro head adapter from CTVT. If it works with the FTC head she came with, I’ll go from there.
    Last edited by Xavion2004; Dec 17, '22, 5:38 PM.
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Paul Clark (Dr. Mego) has red undies shorts on his website that he says will fit both male and female 8 inch figures take a look when you get a chance, I think there $3.00

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

One of my problems was the fact that when looking at the pic her hair is red instead of brown like the comic books.
      2016_FTC_DC_KresgeAction_MaryMarvelFULL.jpgmary marvel.jpg
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by monitor_ep
        One of my problems was the fact that when looking at the pic her hair is red instead of brown like the comic books.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]34624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34625[/ATTACH]
        She also should have female yellow boots not yellow slippers.

Comment

• Xavion2004
          • Dec 15, 2022

Well, I think I made a mistake on the Type S body and retro head adapter. I should have done a search for “Yvonne” instead of “Type S Female body”. Apparently that combo isn’t going to work. Live and learn.

Thanks for the heads up on the red shorts from Dr. Mego. I’m going to order a pair shortly. I also picked up a Mary-Ellen Walton head for her. I agree that the hair on the one she came with is way too red. I think this will be a better match:

This is the version that the figure is based on, and the one I have the most nostalgia for. I think it’s a similar situation as Supergirl. The slippers were in fashion for a brief period of time in the early 70s, but they both reverted back to boots later on:

Last edited by Xavion2004; Dec 17, '22, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Yes--when DC reintroduced the Marvel Family in late 1972, their clothing and hairstyles were modernized. Mary Marvel initially featured slippers, much as Mod-ernized Supergirl did. Later, Mary had cuffed boots like her '40s version, and Supergirl switched to boots matching her cousin's.

There are ultra-rare yellow cuffed Dinah-Mite boots that would work for Mary; luckily they have been reproduced.

Also, if you like tights on your Super-Gals (I usually do), you could use the lower half of a repro Supergirl bodysuit under Mary's skirt.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 17, '22, 11:01 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              Yes--when DC reintroduced the Marvel Family in late 1972, their clothing and hairstyles were modernized. Mary Marvel initially featured slippers, much as Mod-ernized Supergirl did. Later, Mary had cuffed boots like her '40s version, and Supergirl switched to boots matching her cousin's.

There are ultra-rare yellow cuffed Dinah-Mite boots that would work for Mary; luckily they have been reproduced.

Also, if you like tights on your Super-Gals (I usually do), you could use the lower half of a repro Supergirl bodysuit under Mary's skirt.
              Wow! That's a great idea... thanks! I have some extra tights from the new Uhura that I picked up on the cheap, but I only have so many of them.

I have struggled with finding the right head with the right hair color for Mary Marvel. I have a Mary Ellen, but it doesn't work for me, so she sits in a box, head-less.

As for the 8" Yvonne body and the adapters, they did not work at all for me. Here is my experience with one: http://megomuseum.com/community/show...80#post1494280

Comment

• Xavion2004
                • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by TRDouble
                Wow! That's a great idea... thanks! I have some extra tights from the new Uhura that I picked up on the cheap, but I only have so many of them.

I have struggled with finding the right head with the right hair color for Mary Marvel. I have a Mary Ellen, but it doesn't work for me, so she sits in a box, head-less.

As for the 8" Yvonne body and the adapters, they did not work at all for me. Here is my experience with one: http://megomuseum.com/community/show...80#post1494280
                Using the lower half of a repro Supergirl bodysuit is a great idea! If Mego had made Mary in 1974, that’s probably what they would have done, and it might help the slippers stay on a little better.

I did see your post when I did a forum search for “Yvonne”. Unfortunately, I had already ordered the body and adapter at that point. Hopefully I’ll find an use for it somewhere down the line. I’ll have to see the Mary-Ellen head on the figure before I decide for sure, but even if it ends up being just a placeholder, I can’t imagine it will look any less “Mary” than the one she came with.

Did you decide to just leave your Mary on the body she came with?

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Get a WOZ Dorothy head and comb out the braids
                  JediJaida

Comment

• Xavion2004
                    • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by JediJaida
                    Get a WOZ Dorothy head and comb out the braids
                    I saw quite a few custom Marys sporting the Dorothy head, but it just didn’t really do it for me.

How about the 1985 blockbuster Mary Marvel movie starring Nancy McKeon as Mary?

I’d have to comb out that wild hair with some hot water, and possibly trim it a bit, but it could work.

(Before anyone tries to do a search, I’m just kidding about the movie! )

Comment

• danadoll
                      Micronaut Nut!
                      • Apr 11, 2005

Daisy Duke head, with a hair trim?

Dana
                      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Xavion2004
                        • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by danadoll
                        Daisy Duke head, with a hair trim?

Dana
                        That’s a good one! I’m still pretty rusty on my Mego history and completely forgot about Daisy. The hair color is certainly a match. That may end up being “Plan C”.

I got the S-Type body today. Really like the body itself, and the dress fits beautifully. The slippers don’t, but might if I heat them up first. I’ll see about the heads when they arrive, but I don’t have very high expectations after TRDouble’s experience.

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

What about one of the Charmed girls or Jo from Facts of Life? **UPDATE: I see you already considered Nancy McKeon as Jo! LOL

Jo_Polnizczek_The_Facts_of_Life_Wave_Two_Action_Figure_Mego_Corp2.jpg
                          Phoebe_Halliwell_Charmed_Wave_Two_Action_Figure_Mego_Corp3-1.jpg
                          Last edited by RonnyG; Dec 21, '22, 9:08 PM.

Comment

• darkbros
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by Xavion2004
                            I saw quite a few custom Marys sporting the Dorothy head, but it just didn’t really do it for me.
                            since julie garland was the original inspiration for Mary, I went with it and it works for me.
                            I even left the braids to give it a 'younger" look.

mmarvel.jpg

YMMV.

the FTC released figure I always said looked like Mera, so that's who she ended up becoming.
                            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Xavion2004
                              • Dec 15, 2022

Here’s Mary with the Jo head after I combed the heck out of it. Not bad, but I’m too much of a perfectionist to be truly satisfied with it. I don’t like the way the head sits on the neck, and the bangs are problematic.

EDIT: I think we’ve got a winner. Apparently, I didn’t have the head all the way on. I heated up the neck area with a hairdryer and it popped firmly into place. I worked on the hair some more and got a nice shape to it. A tiny bit of hair gel blended the bangs in nicely.

For the era I’m going for, I don’t think I’m going to top this. If I was going for a more 40s/50s Mary, I would have definitely taken another look at the Dorothy head. That was a fascinating bit of trivia. I had no idea she was based on Judy Garland.
                              Last edited by Xavion2004; Dec 23, '22, 7:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎