Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Cavill Fired! Then Rehired! Now Fired Again!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Henry Cavill Fired! Then Rehired! Now Fired Again!

Once again, Cavill is out as the Kryptonian. Interesting times for the DC movies.
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Henry Cavill: I have just had a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran and it's sad news, everyone. I will, after all, not be returning as Superman.
      After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn't the easiest, but that's life. I respect that James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes.
      My turn to wear the cape has passed, but what Superman stands for never will. It's been a fun ride with you all, onwards and upwards.
      What a monumentally idiotic decision by Gunn and Safran.
      WB had their ideal cinematic Superman in Cavill.
      The future could have been glorious, but now they've squandered an opportunity for greatness.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

It's hard to understand everything that's going on at Warner Brothers Discovery and more specifically the DCEU. I get the need for a single, focused soft reboot. The DC properties are all over the map. It's properties are handled differently in each movie, without a focusing vision to create a single, impactful brand. And their most successful and lauded films like Joker and Shazam don't fit in at all.

That said, jettisoning the proverbial baby with the bath water seems an odd choice. There are definitely some things worth saving in the DCEU. Hopefully, whichever direction Gunn takes them in will make us appreciate the genius/vision that will emerge. I'm not optimistic, but who knows. Hopefully.

Another article talking about WBD's financial motivations.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Maybe they're pulling a Marvel and the same actor will pivot between TV and cinema? Goodbye Ezra and Henry, hello Tyler and Grant?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

in fairness he never actually had a new contract. it was all just talk that he was coming back but no actual deal was ever struck

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

Funny that Ezra has a solid lock seemingly. Henry seems perfectly adequate as Superman. The Nissan of Supermen. Routh was the Kia. Welling was fine but seems too angsty. And Welling and Cain are just too old for most DC movies now. Tyler. Just doesn't do it for me.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

I think Cavill could have been a great Superman if he had been given the right material. You could say the same about Routh. But the fact is... if you bring in Gunn to right the ship (lol... literally a "hired Gunn"), you need to re-cast. It won't be popular in the short-term, but it is the right decision. Make a clean break from the Snyder-verse and take things in their own direction.

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

Would have loved to see Cavill in a fun Superman movie, but I do understand the move. I hope they figure out a way to shoehorn Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa. I think they are very popular in those roles and could be a good bridge to the new universe.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 29, 2007

[QUOTE=sprytel;1495796]I think Cavill could have been a great Superman if he had been given the right material. You could say the same about Routh. But the fact is... if you bring in Gunn to right the ship (lol... literally a "hired Gunn"), you need to re-cast. It won't be popular in the short-term, but it is the right decision. Make a clean break from the Snyder-verse and take things in their own direction.[/QUOTE

It makes sense to me that every piece he brings over from the recent DC universe is just one more mental hurdle for people that didn’t enjoy that version. Just start fresh… I’m ok with that. I just wish somebody would not be afraid to have Superman be a truly noble person. I guess that’s just not in vogue anymore. Hollywood is so cynical with their superheroes.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Tyler Hoechlin's Superman is just that on Superman and Lois. It's refreshing to see. He's not perfect, but he's a selfless human being who's always trying to do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do. That's Superman (and Captain America, honestly).

I wish Cavill had gotten the chance to play THAT Superman. He certainly had it in him. He's a very charming, and seemingly warm person. He's been very diplomatic about all of this, but he was also diplomatic in saying he wanted to play a fun, uplifting version of the character, without bashing Snyder's controversial (and in my opinion, wrong-headed) take.

I just hope they gave him a HUGE severance package, because as I understand it, the guy quit The Witcher and turned down other commitments to return as Superman in this now aborted set of films.
                      sigpic

Comment

• wise guy
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 29, 2014

Gunn is doing a younger Superman and hopefully getting away from that depressing DCEU . They need to ditch this Black Adam and Flash too. Caville only came back because The Rock tried to take over and force them to do this, but Black Adam was not making them enough money .

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Looks like he'll be involved in a new Warhammer 40,000 series for Amazon, as both actor and executive producer.
                          That'll be a great project for him, as he's a major Warhammer 40K fan.

The former Superman star has secured another leading role in a beloved fantasy gaming franchise, having previously appeared in Netflix's The Witcher. Cavill said his Warhammer role was "a nigh-on lifelong dream come true".
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 29, 2018

As per TMZ...Cavill's cameo in Flash is being cut and so is Gadot's. Affleck possibly having role expanded.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎