X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Question about the AA Action Jackson figure

I know there are a couple of A/J threads on the first page of this category, but since my question does *not* have to do with those threads topics, I'm starting a new inquiry...

I was reading this page about the Mego A/J figures https://thetoycollectorsguide.com/action-jackson/ and it says that the African American was also released in a bearded version, but he's very rare... I have never before read or heard anything about there being a bearded AA figure made by Mego.

Is this true, or is the author just blowing smoke?
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Before NeMego released AJ I collected AJ figures and outfits. For some reason the Black AJ was unbearded and hard to find. I was disappointed when CTVT released the repro heads and did not make a beard version of the "AFRICAN AMERICAN JACK"
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Dec 12, '22, 3:51 PM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Yeah, I figured the guy who wrote that page I posted was blowing smoke...

You're right, when the NuMego started reissuing figures, a *bearded* AA A/J would have been the way to go...

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

I've never seen one. We still find oddball things from time to time so I suppose it's not ridiculous to assume that there may be an AA AJ floating around with a painted on beard as a factory error or something, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence it was a regular occurrence/variant.

I have noticed a couple different skin tones on the AA AJs in my travels.

There isn't much concrete info on this stuff available but I think we'd know if this were the case or not. So probably less "blowing smoke" and more just not clear on the information available.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by apes3978
          I know there are a couple of A/J threads on the first page of this category, but since my question does *not* have to do with those threads topics, I'm starting a new inquiry...

I was reading this page about the Mego A/J figures https://thetoycollectorsguide.com/action-jackson/ and it says that the African American was also released in a bearded version, but he's very rare... I have never before read or heard anything about there being a bearded AA figure made by Mego.

Is this true, or is the author just blowing smoke?
          It's bull plop, it simply never happened. I guess anything is possible in the world of Mego but no, it's never been sighted or reported and it's not a thing.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
            It's bull plop, it simply never happened. I guess anything is possible in the world of Mego but no, it's never been sighted or reported and it's not a thing.
            Oh really? Then how do you explain the 3 I just listed on eBay for $10K a piece?!?

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

Would it be easier to somehow stain a bearded Caucasian head to a dark coffee color?maybe a red and blue plastic dip mix and then the old dezombie trick?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Just dye it brown.

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                Would it be easier to somehow stain a bearded Caucasian head to a dark coffee color?maybe a red and blue plastic dip mix and then the old dezombie trick?
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Maybe mego will continue the POTA line and release a Dodge astronaut, that might make a decent African American Action Jackson? I know a little ways back that someone on ebay was selling an unpainted custom POTA Dodge head.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

I'm not sure having a white AJ do blackface is the answer.

AA AJ has a unique sculpt and I think that's part of the charm. It's not just a recolor.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

That's true, I had forgotten the unique sculpt.

I suppose it's similar to GI Joe, first a recoloring but then a new sculpt.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

It wouldnt be difficult to milliput a beard on the CTVT AAAJ head and color it.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎