Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

I really don’t understand the rules on this forum. I mention Ezra Miller’s legal troubles as a reason for not seeing the Flash, and it gets deleted. I say it’s silly to call Temple of Doom mean spirited and it gets deleted.

Anyone who doesn’t think Kathleen Kennedy has done a good job running Lucasfilm gets called a sexist and that’s ok. It has nothing to do with the terrible quality of the product. Let’s go straight to calling people istaphobes.

Whatever. This will be deleted as well, so what’s the point in even responding. I just wish it was spelled out more clearly in the terms of service that any post not in total alignment with mod sensibilities is subject to immediate deletion, regardless of whether it does or doesn’t break any other TOS.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Perhaps a moderator hasn't yet noticed the post that's upsetting you. You could report it. The member you're upset with has had posts removed IIRC; so have I.

Or, perhaps it's just you.

I don't know, I'm not a moderator.

But, I can guess at a few things, having been here a while:

*Acrimonious, back-and-forth exchanges, what some might consider trolling, are sometimes removed.

* Calling out moderation is likely not going to make your case more convincing to moderators.

*Overtly sexist, homophobic/transphobic, and racist posts are often removed.

This is a moderated forum, I've never assumed that my posts might not be removed. This one might be. I knew, when signing up, that this was a sandbox that that I could play in for free, but that if I left a turd in it, it might be scooped.

I usually try to avoid you here and that's easy because I seldom comment on pop culture anymore, so this is posted with apprehension.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 4, '23, 4:22 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by B-Lister
        Temple of Doom is unwatchable. Complete garbage.
        That's your opinion. Not everyone shares it. For me, it's the second best Indy movie. Far better than Last Crusade, Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny.

Nothing. It's just sexism. They don't think a WOMAN deserves the right to play in their 80s toy box.
        Her gender has nothing to do with it, at least not as far as I'm concerned. Her staggering mismanagement of Lucasfilm's franchises is the primary reason why I want to see her tenure as president come to an end.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Whatever. This will be deleted as well, so what’s the point in even responding. I just wish it was spelled out more clearly in the terms of service that any post not in total alignment with mod sensibilities is subject to immediate deletion, regardless of whether it does or doesn’t break any other TOS.
          This is a moderated forum, and we don't allow relational conflict; it gets zapped. I've seen some truly combative and caustic posts, and over what? Movies and Toys?

That's what moderation is, you're making sure the pot doesn't boil over, or things don't go off the rails. I've had to kill a lot of threads here over the past few months because they seem just to devolve into something political or horrendous.

Since you asked publicly, I've noticed a trend where you jump on members here. I won't allow that.

Also, you don't know me; you don't know my sensibilities because I don't share them here. I just try to make sure everybody gets along and has fun.

I've had it mentioned to me (by people who contact me privately) that they that their opinions are being shouted down. That concerns me, and we will take care of the community. You can choose to participate and keep it civil or not, but please don't publicly demean the job I do because you're offended by what someone else said.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Dannyc
            • Feb 6, 2023

Nothing. It's just sexism. They don't think a WOMAN deserves the right to play in their 80s toy box.
            Well, she's been entrenched in popular 80s film franchises since the early 80s so a little too late for someone to be disgruntled about that.

Personally, I think it's an instance of figureheads (regardless of gender) catching all of the flak when fans feel slighted that things dont go their way. Post-prequels, leading up to the Disney sale, seems like most fans didn't think too fondly of Lucas (and McCallum) either. Only difference now is opinions are even more amplified.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Dannyc
              Well, she's been entrenched in popular 80s film franchises since the early 80s so a little too late for someone to be disgruntled about that.

Personally, I think it's an instance of figureheads (regardless of gender) catching all of the flak when fans feel slighted that things dont go their way. Post-prequels, leading up to the Disney sale, seems like most fans didn't think too fondly of Lucas (and McCallum) either. Only difference now is opinions are even more amplified.
              actually, in this case, i think it is because she injects her social justice warrior ideas into everything that's been put out. In fact I think she has even stated this is what she is doing. turns a lot of people off. but yeah, there is a toxic element to a lot of fandom these days, especially Star Wars. keyboard warriors

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Well I missed some fun on this thread, but to get it back on track, my family and I went to see Dial of Destiny this afternoon and I got back a little bit ago.

I was worried from when this was announced that it might be a train wreck. Crystal Skull was just a pretty terrible movie, and I love the franchise and didn't want another bad memory.

I found Dial of Destiny well exceeded my expectations and I'm happy to say that. Perfect movies don't exist today IMO, and nostalgia smooths over the rough edges of movies we saw in our youth, and I know that. But honestly this movie was fun to watch, not perfect, had some pacing issues and some interesting plot choices, but I left the theater ready to see it again. That's usually my barometer for was it good or not if I'd come back and put my $$ down again to see it.

Here's my Indy order, Raiders, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, Dial of Destiny, Crystal Skull.

I almost even put Dial of Destiny in front of Last Crusade....
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by palitoy
                  This is a moderated forum, and we don't allow relational conflict; it gets zapped. I've seen some truly combative and caustic posts, and over what? Movies and Toys?

That's what moderation is, you're making sure the pot doesn't boil over, or things don't go off the rails. I've had to kill a lot of threads here over the past few months because they seem just to devolve into something political or horrendous.

Since you asked publicly, I've noticed a trend where you jump on members here. I won't allow that.

Also, you don't know me; you don't know my sensibilities because I don't share them here. I just try to make sure everybody gets along and has fun.

I've had it mentioned to me (by people who contact me privately) that they that their opinions are being shouted down. That concerns me, and we will take care of the community. You can choose to participate and keep it civil or not, but please don't publicly demean the job I do because you're offended by what someone else said.
                  I've never jumped on anyone, shouted anyone down, or called anyone names. Nor can that be argued in good faith when posts calling forum members sexist or other names remain untouched.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                    Banned
                    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                    Her gender has nothing to do with it, at least not as far as I'm concerned. Her staggering mismanagement of Lucasfilm's franchises is the primary reason why I want to see her tenure as president come to an end.
                    I wonder if I'm a misandrist too, since I hated the Star Wars prequels and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                      That's your opinion. Not everyone shares it. For me, it's the second best Indy movie. Far better than Last Crusade, Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny.

It is indeed my opinion. And I didn't present it as anything more than that.
                      I didn't say you were wrong for liking it, or even for disagreeing with me.

I will say, the reasons I don't like it are the fact that Kate Capshaw is all but useless. Nearly all of her lines are just her screaming. Add to it the horrific depictions of Asians, and the fact that most critics of Crystal Skull will damn it for the fridge, while overlooking using a raft as a parachute.

As for Kennedy, I disagree that she's mismanaged anything. I've enjoyed most of her output.
                      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Dannyc

Well put.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                          I've never jumped on anyone, shouted anyone down, or called anyone names. Nor can that be argued in good faith when posts calling forum members sexist or other names remain untouched.
                          I never called anybody a sexist. Perhaps that's why it remains untouched.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                            Banned
                            • Mar 31, 2018

I never called anybody a sexist. Perhaps that's why it remains untouched.
                            Gotcha.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

I will say, the reasons I don't like it are the fact that Kate Capshaw is all but useless. Nearly all of her lines are just her screaming.
                              Sure, but Willie's character was written to be a somewhat vacuous damsel in distress; deliberately a stark contrast to Marion Ravenwood's tough, no-nonsense self-reliance.

and the fact that most critics of Crystal Skull will damn it for the fridge, while overlooking using a raft as a parachute.
                              Funnily enough, I reminded many Crystal Skull detractors of that very fact back when the movie came out in 2008. But it seems they draw the line at the fridge.

As for Kennedy, I disagree that she's mismanaged anything. I've enjoyed most of her output.
                              I've enjoyed some of it, but simply enjoying a percentage of output doesn't negate the fact that she's objectively mismanaged the company's franchises on several levels over the years.

Back when GL first announced her as becoming the new president of Lucasfilm, I was quietly optimistic. After all, she'd been involved in every Indiana Jones movie, and she had decades of producing experience under her belt. What could go wrong?
                              Well, quite a few things, apparently.

Examples of her mismanagement are the high profile box office failures and underperformances of several key movies, multiple firings of directors, often well into a movie's production (Josh Trank, Lord & Miller, Colin Treverrow, even Gareth Edwards having the ending of Rogue One reshot by another director), several projects announced to great fanfare only to be quietly cancelled or shelved, the failure of the Galaxy's Edge attraction, the well documented chaos surrounding the production of The Dial of Destiny, and of course the mishandling of the SW Sequel Trilogy by allowing it to essentially become a game of round-robin storytelling without a cohesive narrative vision underpinning it.
                              Now, you might say that every studio suffers such mishaps, and that it's simply par for the course in the movie industry. But Kennedy has undeniably taken a production company of sure-fire money-making IPs and (seemingly) gleefully overseen their degradation and devaluation.

So yeah, I think it's time she moved on.
                              Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jul 5, '23, 6:16 AM.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎