Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

My favourite Indy movies are Raiders and Temple of Doom.
    I know a lot of people love Last Crusade, but I always found it lacklustre, like a "lite" version of an Indiana Jones movie.

Temple of Doom has a great story and it moves at a relentless pace. It's a great film and the dark theme really works. However, some of the scenes which were cut for timing/pacing should have remained in the movie for the sake of coherence, such as the scene where Indy puts some planks over the lava pit to allow the slave children to escape the Thuggee mines. The planks then catch fire preventing Indy, Willie and Shorty from escaping via the same route.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      , tonally I think Crystal Skull fits into the franchise better than the mean-spirited and nasty Temple of Doom.
      I really liked Temple of Doom. But I do think it would have been better if they had toned it down to a bit. Released it as a PG movie instead of pushing the envelope to PG-13.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Falstaff13
        Persistent Member
        • May 28, 2008

Temple of Doom is often credited with being the reason (maybe the final straw) for the PG-13 rating being implemented.
        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          Well, the latest news about the Indy franchise is not making it look very good for the movie. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is being changed. Old man Indy has been removed from the streaming shows. No longer narrating the episodes. Take that as you will...
          Not only was old Indy removed, as has already been mentioned, but you you also haven't been able (legally) to get a copy of the original Young Indy series for decades. George went back and edited the episodes into two hour movies, often combining episodes that have no relationship with each other.

Cultural vandalization is bad enough when others do it, but when you have creators doing it to their own work, as George did with the OT Star Wars Trilogy and Young Indy, it's especially heartbreaking. I have never once seen a director's cut of a film that was better than the original theatrical version. I wish directors and studios would just let our cultural heritage be passed on to future generations without trying to "improve" it. And if you do have to butcher it, please allow both versions to exist, instead of hiding the originals away somewhere in a vault like Star Wars or Young Indy.

I love George, but it's an unforgivable sin.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

No one is going to rain on my Indy parade. If it wasn't for the new movie there wouldn't be all this sweet new Indy merch. I mean, come on, they're bring back Kenner figures and Indy Lego sets!
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

TV Spot:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

looks better and better

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I think it looks great.

Comment

• Dannyc
                    • Feb 6, 2023

Having seen Temple of Doom in the theater as a 9 year old, always found it to be a fun, non-stop wild ride of a movie. Never quite understood the criticisms of it being not fun and too dark.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Final trailer:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Dannyc
                        Having seen Temple of Doom in the theater as a 9 year old, always found it to be a fun, non-stop wild ride of a movie. Never quite understood the criticisms of it being not fun and too dark.
                        Because it wasn’t, compared to Raiders. That said, it was my favorite Indy film as a kid when I was young and dumb. Consequently it’s always had a special place in my heart, but it clearly was the weakest of the three films. That’s not a knock, as Raiders is one of the greatest films of all time, regardless of genre.

Since KOTC, Temple of Doom now seems Oscar worthy (back when the Oscars still meant something).

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

feels a little odd having a stones song in an Indiana Jones movie but this looks like a great and fun movie. really looking forward to it

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

I know a lot of people cite Last Crusade as their favourite of the trilogy. I've never fully understood that.
                            To me, it always felt like "Indy lite", lacking the tough, two-fisted grit of Raiders and the wild, frenetic darkness of Temple of Doom.
                            A decidedly underwhelming third installment.
                            I guess people just loved Last Crusade's generally lighter tone and the father-son dynamic of Henry and Indy.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                              I know a lot of people cite Last Crusade as their favourite of the trilogy. I've never fully understood that.
                              To me, it always felt like "Indy lite", lacking the tough, two-fisted grit of Raiders and the wild, frenetic darkness of Temple of Doom.
                              A decidedly underwhelming third installment.
                              I guess people just loved Last Crusade's generally lighter tone and the father-son dynamic of Henry and Indy.

Yeah, I also think Ford and Connery had great chemistry, which is one of the things that won audiences over.

Still, Raiders is clearly and by a wide margin is the best of the three. To me, anyway.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

reviews i have read so far are slamming it. i don't really care what the critics think, but it is still disheartening to hear. i for one plan on actually putting my butt in a theater to watch it

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎