Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you geek out on , besides toy collecting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I love vinyl records because I grew up with them but honestly I can't tell the difference between a good vinyl record and a CD.

If anything, a CD has no pops …

Just had my hearing checked 2 years ago --- they said it was fine

I just don't hear a difference, unless the new mixes are turned up way too high (which seems to be the norm) --- THAT I can hear

Comment

• Mongoose1983
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2010

I believe like many of you here I have lots of records and CDs. And I have two vintage hifi stereo systems at home. I love the old stuff. There's many bands I love, and I am also a huge C&W music buff. I wouldn't call myself a record collector though. I like KISS and Bachman-Turner Overdrive. I collect BTO memorabilia, tour books, posters, music books, press kits, guitar picks, anything actually.

Oh, I like guitars and basses, too. I'm always busy with them.

I am very much into vintage Tamiya RC cars, mostly buggies and monster trucks.

I love and collect vintage Monster Truck things. Anything up until 1993. Toy cars, magazines, books, tapes, baseball caps, anything I can find. Say BIGFOOT, yeah! A few years ago my buddy in TX got me a couple of mid 80's BIGFOOT caps and got them signed specially for me by Bob Chandler AND Jim Kramer in St. Louis, MO. To those who don't know, Bob Chandler owns Bigfoot 4x4 and he created Monster trucks in the 70's. Jim Kramer was the first driver, and he was also a partner in the company. To this day I can't think of a more surprising birthday present.

I also love Planet of the Apes, movies, series, cartoons. I have the DVDs, now the Blueray discs. I love all of the movies. My cousin gave me tickets to see the Tim Burton version a couple of decades ago. All I can say is I had fun seeing it. I haven't seen it again since then, but if I come across it on DVD someday I will definitely buy it. I haven't seen the last movie for some reason. I liked the new ones, all of them actually, but of course I like the old ones better.

And old series. Most any series a late 70's early 80's kid saw I like. Incredible Hulk, Dukes of Hazzard, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Fall Guy, Rockford Files, Chips, Starsky and Hutch, ADAM 12, etcetera. I used to buy myself box sets for my own birthdays.

I also like old sports memorabilia of my local soccer team. Books, magazines, autographs, posters, pennants.

I like power tools, too. I love to fix stuff myself, and build things to help my needs here. I have some nice Milwaukee tools, and I have a feeling for old Black & Decker stuff, even though I know the tools they made aren't really top notch stuff. I just like them. In a perfect world all tools would be the Makita or Milwaukee type.

Toys. I decided to stay off die cast cars. I sold most my collections. But Oh I loved 70's Matchbox cars. And figures, of course I love Megos. All lines. I only have the ones I like the most. Now the one line of figures I love the most is Matchbox's Fighting Furies. Both lines, Cowboys and Pirates. They must be the coolest ever! I also have the Six Million Dollar man and Bigfoot figures.

And last but not least books. I'm a college professor, so I am surrounded by them.

By reading this I can confirm I am very much into reminiscing, LOL.

Hope you all will have a fantastic NYE celebration!
      www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• Xavion2004
        • Dec 15, 2022

Pro Wrestling. I do watch some AEW (mainly for MJF and Jaime Hayter) and WWE (mainly for the Bloodline and Shotzi), but my true love is the territory days from the 70s and 80s (Mid-South, Memphis, Mid-Atlantic, Georgia, Florida, Southeastern, World Class, etc.)

The NFL in general and Fantasy Football in particular. I used to play in several fantasy leagues, but I’ve cut it down to one dynasty league, and that’s worked well for me. My favorite team is the Jacksonville Jaguars, but they haven’t made it easy.

Music videos. Our cable system got MTV shortly after it launched in ‘81, and it was magnificent…until the record companies and the lowest common denominator ruined it for rest of us by alternating between taking it way too seriously and turning the what was once an art form into a caricature of itself.

Music in general, especially late 70s pop and disco, early 80s new wave (generally the more obscure stuff), 80s R&B (huge fan of early Jam & Lewis productions/compositions), and 80s/early 90s rap and hip hip (when it was still lighthearted and fun). However, these days, I mainly listen to contemporary indie bands. Most of the bands I like fall under the umbrella of “Dream Pop” or “Bedroom Pop” like Magdelena Bay. However, my favorite band, and somewhat of an outlier compared to most of the other music I listen to, is the Arctic Monkeys. I used to have immaculately cared for vinyl and CD collections, but now I’m just a Spotify guy.

Comics. Mainly Silver and Bronze Age. I had a brief renaissance circa 1997-2001, but then the books just started getting way too dark and violent for my tastes. The writing went down the tubes as well. It’s kind of hard to care about the characters if they’re just treated like malleable cannon fodder for the latest relaunch or big event.
        Last edited by Xavion2004; Dec 31, '22, 7:21 AM.

Comment

• shaunaconda
          Museum Super Collector
          • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by Xavion2004
          Pro Wrestling. I do watch some AEW (mainly for MJF and Jaime Hayter) and WWE (mainly for the Bloodline and Shotzi), but my true love is the territory days from the 70s and 80s (Mid-South, Memphis, Mid-Atlantic, Georgia, Florida, Southeastern, World Class, etc.)

The NFL in general and Fantasy Football in particular. I used to play in several fantasy leagues, but I’ve cut it down to one dynasty league, and that’s worked well for me. My favorite team is the Jacksonville Jaguars, but they haven’t made it easy.

Music videos. Our cable system got MTV shortly after it launched in ‘81, and it was magnificent…until the record companies and the lowest common denominator ruined it for rest of us by alternating between taking it way too seriously and turning the what was once an art form into a caricature of itself.

Music in general, especially late 70s pop and disco, early 80s new wave (generally the more obscure stuff), 80s R&B (huge fan of early Jam & Lewis productions/compositions), and 80s/early 90s rap and hip hip (when it was still lighthearted and fun). However, these days, I mainly listen to contemporary indie bands. Most of the bands I like fall under the umbrella of “Dream Pop” or “Bedroom Pop” like Magdelena Bay. However, my favorite band, and somewhat of an outlier compared to most of the other music I listen to, is the Arctic Monkeys. I used to have immaculately cared for vinyl and CD collections, but now I’m just a Spotify guy.

Comics. Mainly Silver and Bronze Age. I had a brief renaissance circa 1997-2001, but then the books just started getting way too dark and violent for my tastes. The writing went down the tubes as well. It’s kind of hard to care about the characters if they’re just treated like malleable cannon fodder for the latest relaunch or big event.
          Do you watch those Wrestling documentary type shows on Vice TV? “Tales from the Territories” was really good. World Class is what I grew up with.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

My go-to songs right now

Comment

• Xavion2004
              • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by shaunaconda
              Do you watch those Wrestling documentary type shows on Vice TV? “Tales from the Territories” was really good. World Class is what I grew up with.
              I’ve seen a few of them on You Tube. For “Tales from the Territories, I’ve watched the Memphis and Florida episodes. I know the World Class and Mid-Atlantic are on there as well, but I haven’t watched them yet. I also saw the Dark Side of the Ring episodes on Gino Hernandez, Dino Bravo, and The Plane Ride from Hell. Those were really good.

I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic territory. When we finally got cable in our area, I was able to watch the WWF on Channel 20 from Washington DC (this was just before Vince Sr passed away…it was boring AF), Georgia on WTBS, and Southwest on USA. I started reading the Apter mags and was dying to see Mid-South and World Class, but only got to see the occasional match that would air on WTBS or USA. It’s pretty amazing to have all of that footage at our fingertips now.

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Mongoose1983
                I also love Planet of the Apes, My cousin gave me tickets to see the Tim Burton version a couple of decades ago. All I can say is I had fun seeing it. I haven't seen it again since then, but if I come across it on DVD someday I will definitely buy it
                Just check any used media store, or thrift store-It seems there's always a copy or two or three lurking on the shelves.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

I’ve seen a few of them on You Tube. For “Tales from the Territories, I’ve watched the Memphis and Florida episodes. I know the World Class and Mid-Atlantic are on there as well, but I haven’t watched them yet. I also saw the Dark Side of the Ring episodes on Gino Hernandez, Dino Bravo, and The Plane Ride from Hell. Those were really good.

I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic territory. When we finally got cable in our area, I was able to watch the WWF on Channel 20 from Washington DC (this was just before Vince Sr passed away…it was boring AF), Georgia on WTBS, and Southwest on USA. I started reading the Apter mags and was dying to see Mid-South and World Class, but only got to see the occasional match that would air on WTBS or USA. It’s pretty amazing to have all of that footage at our fingertips now.
                  Grew up with that Southern style wrasslin’ on TBS (GCW and later WCW). I honestly just never could get into the cartoonish stuff Vince was peddling up north. We had Missy Hyatt while fans up north got Moolah. Steamboat and Flair were tearing down the house down south while Hogan was tagging with Mr. T.

Thank the Lord Hogan finally got a real gimmick when he came down south and turned heel with the NWO. Pro Wrestling always worked best when they were able to blur the lines between fiction and reality. It was hard to take a dead man powered by a mysterious urn too seriously, but when Kevin Sullivan booked his own divorce and drew blood in a wrestling match that ended up in an arena bathroom with Chris Benoit getting his head crushed between the bowl and toilet seat and then brutally thrown down the stairs, well, it was easy to believe two real life enemies had just gone into business for themselves.
                  Last edited by Liu Bei; Jan 5, '23, 3:01 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

The Road Warriors (Hawk and Animal) were the best tag team ever, all Vince could do up north is make a silly poor copycat version called Demolition (Ax and Smash) with make up stolen from KISS. The NWA was much better than WWF.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                      Banned
                      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by TrekStar
                      The Road Warriors (Hawk and Animal) were the best tag team ever, all Vince could do up north is make a silly poor copycat version called Demolition (Ax and Smash) with make up stolen from KISS. The NWA was much better than WWF.
                      Absolutely. The Southern territories were loaded with great tag teams / factions. The Road Warriors, the Steiner Brothers, the Rock and Roll Express, the Midnight Express, the Fabulous Freebirds, the Four Horsemen, Doom, etc…

Even WCW’s 90’s teams, when the company was mostly awful, were better. WWF never had anything remotely close to the Hollywood Blondes.

Vince’s cartoon characters up north just never had that allure for me. Once he got Hart and Michaels headlining shows is when I was finally able to stomach the product. Of course, by the time WCW was ruling the airwaves, it took former WCW talent (Steve Austin) to propel the WWF into the Attitude Era and save Vince and company from bankruptcy, and eventual victory in the Monday Night Wars.

As soon as Austin was gone and WCW dead and buried, Vince immediately reverted back to the cartoon character shtick you see ruining the product once more. And unfortunately, that great Southern Style wrestling has vanished completely from the big stage, and now we’re left with gymnasts doing 30 minutes of high spots.

Comment

• greenlanternmego89
                        • May 8, 2010

Pro wrestling, comic books, recollecting old magazines and shockingly...slipper socks. Those things are the best. Especially here in New England when it gets cold.

Comment

• Xavion2004
                          • Dec 15, 2022

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                          And unfortunately, that great Southern Style wrestling has vanished completely from the big stage, and now we’re left with gymnasts doing 30 minutes of high spots.
                          Nobody knows how to tell a story anymore, and with face and heel turns becoming face and heel turnstiles, it’s hard to be invested in the characters. I think we all knew, on some level, that the outcomes were predetermined, but man…at least in the old territory days, you could easily suspend disbelief, especially as hard as those guys worked.

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                            Absolutely. The Southern territories were loaded with great tag teams / factions. The Road Warriors, the Steiner Brothers, the Rock and Roll Express, the Midnight Express, the Fabulous Freebirds, the Four Horsemen, Doom, etc…

Even WCW’s 90’s teams, when the company was mostly awful, were better. WWF never had anything remotely close to the Hollywood Blondes.

Vince’s cartoon characters up north just never had that allure for me. Once he got Hart and Michaels headlining shows is when I was finally able to stomach the product. Of course, by the time WCW was ruling the airwaves, it took former WCW talent (Steve Austin) to propel the WWF into the Attitude Era and save Vince and company from bankruptcy, and eventual victory in the Monday Night Wars.

As soon as Austin was gone and WCW dead and buried, Vince immediately reverted back to the cartoon character shtick you see ruining the product once more. And unfortunately, that great Southern Style wrestling has vanished completely from the big stage, and now we’re left with gymnasts doing 30 minutes of high spots.
                            One of my favorite all time moment was when the Von Eric brothers were against 2 of the Freebirds, it was Christmas time and Santa was shaking hands with the kids at ringside, then all of a sudden Santa jumps into the ring and starts beating up one of the Von Eric’s, Kevin I think, then more Von Eric Bros jumped in and started tearing off Santa’s clothes and there was pillow stuffing all over the ring and Freebird Santa was closed lined and tossed over the top rope, you should have seen the expressions on all the little kids at ringside, it was priceless.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Nobody knows how to tell a story anymore, and with face and heel turns becoming face and heel turnstiles, it’s hard to be invested in the characters. I think we all knew, on some level, that the outcomes were predetermined, but man…at least in the old territory days, you could easily suspend disbelief, especially as hard as those guys worked.
                              And to fans in the territories, in that age, buddy, wrestling was REAL. Jim Cornett and the Midnight Express had to flee the arena for their lives after beating the Mulkey Brothers in their hometown on Christmas Day.

Ricky Morton used to to sell so good one time he was caught in a submission hold against the Midnight Express, and he looked out to the audience mouthing “help me” to some old granny in the stands, and buddy did she. She hobbled to the ring swinging her purse and was damn sure gonna take Cornette’s boys out until security got to her.

Wrestling was so good back in the day. This crap out there now is unwatchable. They’re better athletes, no doubt, but like you said, none of them can tell a story or cut a promo to save their lives.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                                Banned
                                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by TrekStar
                                One of my favorite all time moment was when the Von Eric brothers were against 2 of the Freebirds, it was Christmas time and Santa was shaking hands with the kids at ringside, then all of a sudden Santa jumps into the ring and starts beating up one of the Von Eric’s, Kevin I think, then more Von Eric Bros jumped in and started tearing off Santa’s clothes and there was pillow stuffing all over the ring and Freebird Santa was closed lined and tossed over the top rope, you should have seen the expressions on all the little kids at ringside, it was priceless.
                                That sounds awesome. I’ll see if I can find that on the WWE Network on Peacock or YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎