Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you geek out on , besides toy collecting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bionicfanboy66
    Career Member
    • Jul 30, 2012

Podcasts, live video streaming, radio broadcasting, NASA, Sci-Fi, comics, Seattle Seahawks(despite their underperformance on Sunday), and keyboards(I play a little, badly, but I do play when I get stressed), and the harmonica(same deal as keyboards).

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
      Career Member
      • Jul 30, 2012

Originally posted by apes3978
      I 'geek out' on just about anything to do with the original 'Planet of the Apes' era: Anything from the original book to the last magazine (circa 1977) and everything in between...

While the new 'Caesar trilogy' is okay as its own thing, I'm really not into them like I would be with the original films, and the Tim Burton incarnation gets no respect from me at all.
      I've heard something about Peter Macon(Bortus from The Orville) being cast as Cornelius in the next Planet Of the Apes film.

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Bionicfanboy66
        I've heard something about Peter Macon(Bortus from The Orville) being cast as Cornelius in the next Planet Of the Apes film.
        Hmm, then either they're just using the name of an existing character for the new film (same way they used Caesar for the new trilogy), or they're bumping their new timeline way ahead and still using an existing character (my guess is the former). I'll probably watch it to see what they come up with, but it'll be something I either have to watch at the theater or Pay Per View, since I won't be able to do my usual standard operation when it comes to new movies, that being just paying the $15-20 and buying it when it comes out on DVD. Now that The Mouse owns the 'Planet of the Apes' properties, no more DVD/Blu-Ray releases (unless the return of the former Disney head changes that and they go back to releasing to the home video market again).

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
          I paid $23 for it on DVD when it came out, I forced myself to watch it multiple times. It definitely would be forgettable by today's standards. But Apes fan were starved for new content.
          I only paid .99c at a thrift store, so I wasn't pained as much as you were with the cost.

I did a quick search and found this: According to the Chained CPI measurement, $23 in 2001 is equal in buying power to $35.91 in 2022. Nowadays, $35.00 would net you an HD 4K disc, not just a standard DVD. You was robbed I say! J/K

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by thesharkman
            love vintage Rolex and am lucky to own some, but i wish I kept what I sold over the years....lol. The prices are way out of my league now. I got to try on a Newman and it was surprisingly small to me. =)

thesharkman
            They aren't Rolex, and probably not worth Rolex money on the secondary market, but back when we were in High School (mid to late 80s), my cousin had a huge collection of Swatches. It seemed like every time I seen him, he had a new one... I don't know if he still has any of them or not, but some of them have to be worth something (depending on rarity of course).

Comment

• mike69
              Museum Super Collector
              • May 4, 2011

I love going to record shops. I literally can spend all day in one!!

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

Other stuff I collect besides toys include, bubblegum cards, vintage comic books (Archie, Josie, cheesy romance, Millie the Model, Wonder Woman, etc.), vintage newspaper comic strips (Brenda Starr, Nancy and Sluggo, etc.) old TV Guides, 60s movie/TV mags, TV shows on DVD, celebrity autographs. I also have many scrapbooks and photo albums of Elizabeth Montgomery, Charlie's Angels and Dark Shadows.
                Last edited by RonnyG; Dec 12, '22, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• shaunaconda
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by mike69
                  Me too, I’ve been collecting vinyl again!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by apes3978
                    I only paid .99c at a thrift store, so I wasn't pained as much as you were with the cost.

I did a quick search and found this: According to the Chained CPI measurement, $23 in 2001 is equal in buying power to $35.91 in 2022. Nowadays, $35.00 would net you an HD 4K disc, not just a standard DVD. You was robbed I say! J/K
                    I'm sure some others have gotten taken worse on the early DVD craze. I just remember that one being particularly bad. The last time I went Ham on dvds was Christmas of 2017 where I got the complete Mission Impossible series and Six million Dollar man season 5.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                      SynthoRes Transmigrator
                      • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by mike69
                      Glad to see another musicophile in the midst. I could spend all day in the record shop or record show, which I do, especially when I visit a city. Building up my music collection is my hobby and I've relegated to only high resolution digital audio and CDs along with still buying vinyl. The former two going hand in hand and upgrading to HD audio when available.
                      I've been a vinyl hound since I was 15 and have purchased at least one piece of vinyl each year so you would thing my collection would be big but it has ebbed and flowed as I would sell as well. I've given myself challenges in collecting, with the current being collecting my desert island discs on colored vinyl. Which so far has been trying to get my entire record collection on colored vinyl. Now I'm aiming on upgrading my TT to this:

Always wanted a clear TT and even though they have been around for years, the price tag was out of reach until this year with Audio-Technica announced this model. I've already upgraded my CD player, now just need a decent receiver/amp and some better speakers...JBL...and I'm set.

I do miss record shows and glad there are more now.

Comment

• mike69
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • May 4, 2011

I don't know what it is but, nothing compares to the sound of vinyl!!
                        Last edited by mike69; Dec 13, '22, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• mike69
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • May 4, 2011

Originally posted by SeattleEd
                          Glad to see another musicophile in the midst. I could spend all day in the record shop or record show, which I do, especially when I visit a city. Building up my music collection is my hobby and I've relegated to only high resolution digital audio and CDs along with still buying vinyl. The former two going hand in hand and upgrading to HD audio when available.
                          I've been a vinyl hound since I was 15 and have purchased at least one piece of vinyl each year so you would thing my collection would be big but it has ebbed and flowed as I would sell as well. I've given myself challenges in collecting, with the current being collecting my desert island discs on colored vinyl. Which so far has been trying to get my entire record collection on colored vinyl. Now I'm aiming on upgrading my TT to this:

Always wanted a clear TT and even though they have been around for years, the price tag was out of reach until this year with Audio-Technica announced this model. I've already upgraded my CD player, now just need a decent receiver/amp and some better speakers...JBL...and I'm set.

I do miss record shows and glad there are more now.
                          Very nice!! I'm using a Sansui stereo from the late 70s.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

fellow vinyl fan here. i use a mid sixties magnavox console system. still sounds pretty damn sweet though i think i need to change out one of the speakers. i don't got to record store all that often as they are way overpriced IMHO. i usually only hit them on RSD if there is some release i want. i do hit estate sales a lot though looking for things. really i don't buy much anymore as i already have so many there isn't a whole lot that i am still looking for

Comment

• SeattleEd
                              SynthoRes Transmigrator
                              • Oct 24, 2007

The sad part of recent NEW vinyl releases are that most are mastered from digital sources and those that claim they are from a analog master tape source is usually from high resolution audio (DSF or PCM files) that are transferred to tape as they are a flat master then master to analog vinyl. As an audiophile and former audio engineer, this bothers me but I come to terms to just enjoy the music so I focus on the fun aspect of collecting and listening. I relegate my audiophile discs to indulgent listening when my ears feel like being very discriminate.
                              Here is something that has become a popular subject, flat masters. There have been some releases of flat masters transfers to digital, meaning the final mastered album that is meant to be heard in the studio setting is being dumped on digital release, kinda like the early days of CDs when albums were directly dumped to CD without any mastering. Nowadays everything is mastered to digital(Streaming services DO compress audio and EQ it) AND to vinyl. I prefer a flat master. I have a copy of the Pink Floyd's The Wall on flat master and if feels good to crank it up and have it sound all leveled out.
                              And yes, vinyl does have a nice sound to it. Always will love it but I also love clarity on quiet albums and digital is way to go for my ears. Love what you like and enjoy it!

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                                Career Member
                                • Jun 8, 2015

in no order

Music: Albums, CDs, Guitars, Amps

DVDs/VHS tapes

Books

Magazines

artwork

Comics!!!!!!!!!!

Comment