Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: What do you geek out on , besides toy collecting?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Liu Bei View Post
    I wanted to get a second Raspberry Pi to get my Dreamcast online too, but haven’t been able to get one without paying scalper prices for some time, so I’ve had to hold off.

If the brainless bureaucrats in Washington ever manage to accidentally get the economy back on track, I’d like to go back and get that project done. The Dreamcast community has really worked their butts off to keep that system alive and relevant.
    I happened to have a few extras of the Pi's, and was able to do it. Honestly it was cool but I haven't signed back on with it in at least a year I bet. But yes I agree it's been an odd couple of years for buying stuff at prices we assumed were stable. Just shows how precarious the economy actually is.

Another tech category I appreciate is old TV's and stereo equipment. This Panasonic Videosphere is one of my favorites. This one is not mine, but mine looks just like this one down to the clock. Some didn't come with the clock.

Last edited by drquest; Jan 8, '23 at 6:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drquest View Post
    I happened to have a few extras of the Pi's, and was able to do it. Honestly it was cool but I haven't signed back on with it in at least a year I bet. But yes I agree it's been an odd couple of years for buying stuff at prices we assumed were stable. Just shows how precarious the economy actually is.

Another tech category I appreciate is old TV's and stereo equipment. This Panasonic Videosphere is one of my favorites. This one is not mine, but looks just like this one down to the clock. Some didn't come with the clock.

Thatís rad. Iím a fan of old TVs as well, especially vintage American brand CRTs. My next target is a vintage C64 monitor similar to the one I grew up with.

Images

Another tech category I appreciate is old TV's and stereo equipment. This Panasonic Videosphere is one of my favorites. This one is not mine, but mine looks just like this one down to the clock. Some didn't come with the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Liu Bei View Post
    That’s rad. I’m a fan of old TVs as well, especially vintage American brand CRTs. My next target is a vintage C64 monitor similar to the one I grew up with.
    I'd probably dig hanging out and talking shop with the two of you. I've always been more than a little fascinated by tech, but it's a broad interest that doesn't necessarily translate to knowing a lot about any ONE thing. However, I am particularly drawn to tech that died off in the evolutionary sense. Things that might have been "technically" better than what won out in the long run due to market forces or consumer tastes. There was a resiliency and ruggedness in some of that stuff and times might have been better when you could still "open it up and fix it" without voiding the warranty.
    Last edited by Makernaut; Jan 8, '23 at 7:23 PM.

Images
    I went through a very brief old TV phase. Been trying to find some info about one I had but sold a while ago. I picked it up in a thrift store in Tampa. It was was a large red sphere, but larger and a bit more ovalular than the Videosphere. It had a red visor that slid up to reveal the screen, almost like an astronaut's helmet. I don't even remember the manufacturer. Maybe Sony.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    I found the Memorex MSP-TV 1300 Video Ball, but it looks smaller than the one I had.

Last edited by Wee67; Jan 10, '23 at 10:32 AM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.