Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you geek out on , besides toy collecting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Top of my list is kitchen gadgets. Then it's George Harrison. To find out he started Handmade Films because he was a big fan of 'The Producers' is just kinda cool. Also love the stories you hear about him from Tom Petty.

Comment

• shaunaconda
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 29, 2020

Originally posted by Wee67
      That is a fascinating hobby! You should randomly post some of them on YouTube. Along with being a Cowboys fan, I'd love to look at the production values over the years. Do they include commercials! That would be the real cherry on top!

There was a woman in my hometown (Philadelphia) who recorded TV 24 hours a day for over 30 years!

https://recorderfilm.com/#:~:text=Ma...0passed%20away.

I’m probably too lazy to put stuff on YouTube. Interesting though…there are some games on there that I know came from my old VHS tapes.

There are quite a few games that have the commercials. A lot of the early games that are available came from the network masters. For example Monday Night Football games from 1970 have the commercials intact.

Wow! that Marion Stokes link is really cool. I know a lot of people that will be interested in this story.
      Last edited by shaunaconda; Dec 2, '22, 7:04 AM.

Comment

• apes3978
        Permanent Member
        • Nov 19, 2005

I 'geek out' on just about anything to do with the original 'Planet of the Apes' era: Anything from the original book to the last magazine (circa 1977) and everything in between...

While the new 'Caesar trilogy' is okay as its own thing, I'm really not into them like I would be with the original films, and the Tim Burton incarnation gets no respect from me at all.
        Last edited by apes3978; Dec 5, '22, 9:32 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by apes3978
          …………….. and the Tim Burton incarnation gets no respect from me at all.
          Back in the day hated Burton's version with a passion

Today, with the more pleasing modern prequels it's easier for me to except Burton's contribution as a mirror-universe once-off.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

VHS tapes and old video games. Can't really collect the boxed games anymore because of all the speculators and scammers buying up every boxed game in sight to grade and slab them. But I still enjoy playing the 2600, NES, SNES, etc. games.

Dungeons and Dragons. Don't really play it anymore but I keep up on it and collect the books and starter sets. I also enjoy some of the D&D retro clones like Basic Fantasy.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• YoungOnce
              Career Member
              • Aug 29, 2007

Bronze Age comic book runs
              Tom Baker Dr Who
              Hammer/Universal/50's bug movies sci-fi and horror
              TV shows from my youth
              Music from my youth
              Dungeons and Dragons (actually, been playing an old school game that's more like the D&D we grew up with... it's called Dungeon Crawl Classics)
              Introducing the best of all the stuff I geek out about to my kids and grandkids...

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                ………..
                Tom Baker Dr Who
                ……….....
                You talking Tom Baker (early 80's) being flooded in the USA (thanks to PBS) ?

If so, i'm right there !!!

Comment

• thesharkman
                  Museum Patron
                  • Nov 1, 2019

Originally posted by J.B.
                  Watches.
                  likewise....vintage of course =)

thesharkman

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Have a Red LED Timex from the mid-70's

Got it from my Ma as an 8th Grade grad gift.

No matter what I can't get it to work .. modern batteries don't fit etc......

Took it partially apart screwing around ... still nothing

Want to just chuck the whole thing out but the sentimental value keeps me saving it.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by J.B.
                      Watches.
                      Originally posted by thesharkman
                      likewise....vintage of course =)

thesharkman
                      The King

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• thesharkman
                        Museum Patron
                        • Nov 1, 2019

love vintage Rolex and am lucky to own some, but i wish I kept what I sold over the years....lol. The prices are way out of my league now. I got to try on a Newman and it was surprisingly small to me. =)

thesharkman

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

I 'geek out' on just about anything to do with the original 'Planet of the Apes' era: Anything from the original book to the last magazine (circa 1977) and everything in between...

While the new 'Caesar trilogy' is okay as its own thing, I'm really not passionate about them as I would be with the original films, and the Tim Burton incarnation gets no respect from me at all.

Regarding Tim Burton's 'POTA'- I'm mad at myself for selling myself out by watching it... I refused to watch it when it initially came out, and went over 20 years without watching it. However 2021 found myself viewing it, and hating it. The thing is everything I said about it in 2001, before I even seen it turned out to be true-I "knew" what the movie was gonna be, and my 'predictions' were spot on as far as it being a piece of trash.

It's a generic gripe said when people see a movie they don't like, but "I want my 2 hours back!"

Like I said, I think the new trilogy was okay on its own merits (and seen as its own take on the 'POTA' name), but they're classic cinema compared to the Burton flick.

Comment

• publiusr
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Aug 23, 2015

Great interest in tornadoes, HPL…

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

Regarding Tim Burton's 'POTA'- I'm mad at myself for selling myself out by watching it... I refused to watch it when it initially came out, and went over 20 years without watching it. However 2021 found myself viewing it, and hating it. The thing is everything I said about it in 2001, before I even seen it turned out to be true-I "knew" what the movie was gonna be, and my 'predictions' were spot on as far as it being a piece of trash.

It's a generic gripe said when people see a movie they don't like, but "I want my 2 hours back!"

Like I said, I think the new trilogy was okay on its own merits (and seen as its own take on the 'POTA' name), but they're classic cinema compared to the Burton flick.
                              I paid $23 for it on DVD when it came out, I forced myself to watch it multiple times. It definitely would be forgettable by today's standards. But Apes fan were starved for new content.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

The occult and vintage Halloween devil stuff.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎