X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

A Christmas Story Christmas

The new HBO movie. All in all, I liked it. Every music cue is lifted from the old movie. The same actors in the same roles where possible. The surprise cameo by the character of Isaac Asimov (it makes sense in the story) and the return of Scut Farkus and his fellow eyes...all of it made a familiar and filling casserole even if it wasn't amazingly original and then the loop back in time...
    It's worth a watch.
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

My mother and I watched it a few days before thanksgiving. We both really enjoyed it. It can't compare to the original, but a good movie nonetheless. And I was also please with Julie Haggerty(Airplane!) filling in for Melinda Dillon(who has retired from acting.)

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

Watched it the other night. When it started out I thought I wasn’t going to like it, for whatever reason…. The vibe seemed a hair off. But it grew on me and in a bit, I was all in with all the fun callbacks. And it has its heart in the right place. It’s definitely worth a watch this Christmas season.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

my wife and I really enjoyed it. she is not a big fan of the original but she really liked this one. it was a sweet, fun throwback movie

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Huge fan of the original movie!, but haven't had a chance to watch this yet but plan to.

I've visited the original house in Cleveland which is pretty neat. I was a little saddened to know they weren't able to use the original house in this production, and actually they filmed this new one in Bulgaria of all places.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

It's a fun add on to the original movie. I don't know if they used the original Grover Dill actor who is leading a movement to buy the original house from the movie. The new movie only had his character for about .73 seconds and didn't show his face. Sgt. Farkus was a great bit and I was happy to see him. Since it was 1973 I was really hoping to see some Mego WGSH or even AJ.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

My family are huge fans of the original, and have visited the house as well. We really enjoyed this movie, and it resonated with me a lot, personally. I was a little skeptical in the early scenes, but I quickly warmed to the new characters and the feel of the movie. I got choked up in spots, I'm willing to admit.
              sigpic

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

Just read this Grover Dill story. How apropos

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎