• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Happy Life Day!!

star wars holiday special ad.jpg
    The Star Wars Holiday Special is a 1978 American television special that originally aired on November 17, 1978, on CBS. It is set in the universe of the sci-fi-based Star Wars media franchise. Directed by Steve Binder, it was the first Star Wars spin-off film, set between the events of the original film and The Empire Strikes Back (1980). It stars the main cast of the original Star Wars and introduces the character of Boba Fett, who appeared in later films.

Chewbacca and Han Solo try to get to the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk to celebrate Life Day but are impeded by an Imperial blockade. Chewie's family passes the time with various forms of entertainment.

I remember when this came on TV, my whole family sat in the living room (brother and I were on our beanbags) watching this like we were getting a free Star Wars movie. As a kid I enjoyed the movie and knew my parents could care less about this but sat through 2 hours so we could enjoy a Star Wars movie. It wasn't till 90's while in the Navy I attended my first Star Trek convention, and they had a dealer selling bootleg VHS movies. I bought SWHS, Legends Of the Super-Heroes and the 'press kit" to Star Trek. I could not wait to watch them so late that night while on board the ship (along with other sailors) we watched the SWHS and laughed. It brought back so many memories, even the commercials. Years later I found a better version on DVDR in which I still have.

I do not care about people bad mouthing this special, it's one of the few things from my childhood that I still remember with happy thoughts.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

I remember watching the special when it came on and I hadnt seen the actual movie at that point.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Vivid memories of watching TSWHS that night in 1978.
      I still watch the Nelvana animated segment pretty regularly.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I believe I've said this before, I think people are overly harsh towards the SW special. It's not any worse than any other of the 70s variety entertainment shows or specials that were popular at the time. Yet, it gets way more hate than the Superhero roasts, Paul Lynn Special, Donny & Marie, Sonny & Cher, etc. At least the SW special had the cartoon with Boba Fett. If it still brings you happiness, that's awesome. Don't anyone take that away.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

it gets all the hate because Star Wars is still so relevant. those other things are mostly forgotten. i watch the cartoon fairly often as well, as it is now on Disney+. I have a decent copy of the special on DVDr but it is a bit of a slog to sit through

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

As a kid I was wandering why they never released the Wookie family as action figures. Wasn't till many years later I learned the reason.
            th (5).jpg
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

At least we got The Wookiee Storybook.

PUNY HUMANS!