X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

McFarlane Batman '66 Opened

After buying so many of the McFarlane Batman '66 TV Series figures, after getting Mr. Freeze, I decided to open the lot and replace my Mattel figures. It was not an easy decision, because I like the Mattel figures, but they are not mix 'n match for me, except maybe Penguin, and having a new villain to add was the final tipping point (maybe if I ever opened my Mattel Batgirl, I would have waited, but it's still MIP and my unopened 3-pack). I wish I had better pictures of the Mattel figures, but since I don't, I tried to do similar pictures of the McFarlane figures.

Mattel (with a McFarlane Eartha Kitt Catwoman because...?)
    Batman 66 Mattel-1.jpg

McFarlane (with Mattel Alfred):
    Batman 66 McFarlane-1.jpg

My full Batman '66 Shelf w/Mattel Figures:
    Batman 66 Mattel-2.jpg

Full w/McFarlane:
    Batman 66 McFarlane-2.jpg

This display gets changed around from time-to-time. It used to have all of the FTC figures.

I like the look of the Mattel figures. The skinny bodies have more of a 60s vibe and the muted colors may be more screen accurate. Details are nice too, like The Joker's pinstriped pants, Penguins umbrella and cigarette holder, and Batman's neck collar, But they are really gangly looking, with the extra articulation.

McFarlane's colors just pop. Accurate or not, they stand out. The bodies are thicker and look more squat, have less articulation, but definitely less gangly looking. Head sculpts are as good as, and in some cases, better than Mattel's. Details are lacking though; where are The Joker's pinstripes, and Penguin's umbrella (I used Mattel's) and cigarette holder? I get the latter not being there. But Robin's scalloped cape is a big misstep. I miss the Mattel hands too, mostly the pointing Joker hand.

I think McFarlane made worthy successors to Mattel. I might like Mattel's Penguin more and The Joker is a toss up, pinstripes notwithstanding. And the McFarlane Batcave makes for a good display backdrop for anything Batman '66. Having Mr. Freeze in the display is pretty cool too.
  • Mego-Amigo
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 22, 2011

Nice display. I like the Mattel figures but I actually like McFarlane's better. I'm looking forward to McFarlane's Batgirl and Egghead coming up soon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for the comparisions. Other than the Batcave (which I used to supplement my Mezco 5 points Batcave) and an Eartha Kitt my wife picked up, I've avoided the McFarlane '66 line. A few years back this would have been unheard of for me, but at some point I'm like "Do I want duplicates of the same characters in the same scale, or other characters/figures?". But this makes me consider rethinking that notion. I wasn't impressed with the flat capes, chunkier bodies and Burt's chipmunk cheeks at first, but some of the later figures are really nice.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎