• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Happy national Mego Super-Hero day!

From Mego Corp.
    "On November 8th 1972 MEGO debuted the World's Greatest Super-Hero action figures at EJ Korvettes - a NY based retailer with over 50 stores - ahead of the New York Toy Fair in February.
    Marty wanted to see what the kid's reaction to the brightly colored boxes and figures for Superman, Batman, Robin, and Aquaman.
    What he saw was that the kids were buying up Batman, Robin, and Aquaman, but Superman was not selling.
    Marty asked a boy why he didn't want Superman and the kid said "that's Bizarro Superman - he's a bad guy! The S is backwards - that's Bizarro!"
    Marty looked at the figure and realized the emblem was printed backwards - a detail that most adults wouldn’t notice, but a child familiar with the characters would.
    The error was quickly corrected and when the full production line shipped out in the spring, Superman and the others sold quickly!
    In celebration of that special day when the MEGO World's Greatest Super-Hero action figures first hit store shelves, - Ben Holcomb, author of “World’s Greatest Toys” has supplied us with an image of the actual Korvettes Counter Display Unit box filled with original boxed MEGO figures.
    We are declaring today National Mego Super-Hero Day! Please forward this post to your fellow Mego fans! Let’s all celebrate this day by posting pics of our favorite Mego World’s Greatest Super-Hero action figures!"
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Mego SuperHeroes (minus wonder woman).jpg

It would be a few years later that I bought my first Mego. Thanks to reruns of the live action shows Batman 66 & Adventures Of Superman along with Wonder Woman, Shazam/Isis Hour. The Incredible Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man and 2 Captain America movies I had all the Batman Family, Superman Family, Shazam & Isis, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America along with Lizard. Batman 66 was our show, we had the Wayne Foundation Batmobile & Batbus. For some reason we did have the Bat-Cycle and I never remember seeing the Batcopter.

Back in the day we would either buy our Megos at K-Mart or Friday Night at Target. Target was in Houston (2 hrs away) and my parents would stop in there so that my brother & I could get a new Mego to play with while going to the wrestling match. In-between each match there could be long breaks so this way we would have something to play with during those times.

Because Isis was out, I missed out on Wonder Woman. I have no idea why we never picked up they other Marvel characters. I know we watched the characters, but it could have been that we just did not see them back then.
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Nov 8, '22, 11:52 PM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Count_Popula
      Museum Super Collector
      • Aug 28, 2018

I've always considered it magical that I was born in 1972, and WGSH launched about 6 months later! By the time I was 3 or so, I already had armfuls of Megos. My Mom would buy them for me at KMart, Toys R Us, and mall toy stores. In our lower middle-class neighborhood in Houston, there was even a guy who had a "toy shop" he ran out of his garage, and local families including mine would buy Megos and other cool products there. Not sure how the legalities of that worked out, but it was a pretty cool perk from a different time. I'm still obsessed with Megos today, definitely The World's Greatest Toy Company! Happy Anniversary, WGSH!

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Mego SuperHeroes (minus wonder woman).jpg

It says that Wonder Woman is not shown in the picture, I also noticed that Tarzan is not in the pic, did they not have permission from the ERB estate? or was this pic taken after Tarzan was dropped? I do see Green Arrow who replaced Tarzan on the window box art, just curious.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Wonder Woman was dropped from the Super Gals to make room for Isis. This confused me because I wanted a Wonder Woman and could not find one on the shelf.

Tarzan was under a short license, Mattel wanted to release him under their Big Jim lineup. So it seems since the first Super Friends was out and included Green Arrow in promotions Mego decided to include him.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡