X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Two Things I Learned Watching the Third Season of Batman

I haven't seen Batman's third season in many years, despite having DVD copies years before the official set was released. TBH, I've only lazily watched the rebroadcast versions on MeTV. They run the first two seasons and the first episode from season 3. I assume it has something to do with the syndication package they licensed.

First- Eartha Kitt really was the best Catwoman in the series.

I've always favored Julie Newmar's performance but I've also always known that was partially based on how absolutely stunning she is. I still think she did a great job in the role, especially with her tortured attraction to Batman. Kitt had to stand out in a single episode and had to share time with the great Caesar Romero and she did a great job inhabiting the role. Like a lot of other characters in the series, she did not choose to reflect the comic book representation but instead delivered an over-the-top version that fit well into the campy, over-the-top show.

Second- I don't think Batgirl ever punched anybody.

I did remember thinking that she only ever mounted a table or something raised and kicked people. That was incorrect as she does use other objects as weapons and even once grappling with Eartha Kitt's Catwoman. Well, grappling might be an exaggeration. She grabs wrists with Catwoman before shoving her into the restraining arms of Chief O'Hara. I'm not done with the season yet, so maybe she'll clobber someone yet. Did I miss her single punch?
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Kitt is my wife's favorite Catowman, and as much as I love Newmar, Kitt is more..well, cat-like, isn't she?

And no Batgirl never threw a punch. She wasn't allowed for some strange reason!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

What bothered me in season 3 was they cut back on the backdrops where it looked like a stage production instead of a tv series.

The other problem I had was why the created a new Batgirl instead of introducing Batwoman and Bat-girl?
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

The budget cuts show in the sets and the format change is pretty jarring too.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

3rd Season Batman makes 3rd Season Star Trek look like Shakespeare.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

Entertainment historian Fred Grandinetti makes the case that TV’s Batgirl was emasculated and humiliated, unlike her comic book counterpart.

Short article describing Batgirl's combat theory

20221109_084419.jpg

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

While I love the addition of Batgirl and adore Kitt's Catwoman, the show almost became a parody of itself at times in this season. That wasn't totally unwelcome because it's still played completely straight, but at times it's kind of stinky. Sorry for the technical term.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Adam is in on the joke too much in this season. He started to do that in Season 2, but he's really leaning into it this season. It felt like everyone was bored and ready to move on. Unfortunately for many of them, they didn't move onto much for a very long time!
                sigpic

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

Entertainment historian Fred Grandinetti makes the case that TV’s Batgirl was emasculated and humiliated, unlike her comic book counterpart.

Short article describing Batgirl's combat theory

20221109_084419.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I may as well plug a series of great books I was lucky enough to contribute to, "The Subterranean Blue Grotto Essays on Batman' 66" edited by Jim Beard. There's an essay for every episode of Batman. The Season 3 book is enlightening, with different writers expressing what worked and what didn't, and why it didn't.

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I have a lot of concerns about season 3--a lot. But Eartha Kitt is not one of them--I think she's marvelous, especially considering what she's given to work with.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

I Guess season 3 had (some) good things, Yvonne Craig in her costume, Joan Collins in her outfit….wow!
                        we got to see Frank Gorshin one more time as the Riddler, Batman and the Joker surfing and walkie talkie hot dogs and King Tut actually finding out that Bruce Wayne was Batman until he got conked on the head with a rock in the mining tunnel.

Unfortunately we also got, Nora Clavicle, Lord Fogg and Lady Peasoup, Cassandra Spellcraft and Kabala, Eartha Kitt was unfortunately only in 2 episodes, Egghead went from sinister smart to a wimpy coward.

They could have a least brought back Bookworm which would had been a good story line with Barbara Gordon the Librarian, maybe Mad Hatter too and False Face, anything would have been better than Nora Clavicle and Minerva, a horrible episode to end the series with.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

I did not like any of the not-comic book characters. There were so many b-d list characters they could have picked out from the comic books one has to wander why bother creating new ones.

Also Why didn't they use Killer Moth in the series instead of just the unaired pilot?
                          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• warlock664
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Wee67

First- Eartha Kitt really was the best Catwoman in the series.
                            False.
                            Julie Newmar.
                            Always and forever.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                              I did not like any of the not-comic book characters. There were so many b-d list characters they could have picked out from the comic books one has to wander why bother creating new ones.

Also Why didn't they use Killer Moth in the series instead of just the unaired pilot?
                              Well that's just sad, King Tut, Bookworm, Ma Parker, Egghead and Shame were all well done characters and portrayed perfectly. I suspect that some were written with actors in mind.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎