X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Shrinking accessories...

I shrunk some new Apes astronaut grey boots. It did not go well. They showed all the stress of being taken out of the mold they were cast in. When they stress and stretch out the material the boots are made out of removing them from the mold, they retake their original shape very well. Enlarging them in acetone makes the stressed material show the original damage and it doesn't revert back to the original shape when shrunk. Evident are where the boots are gripped to be pulled from the mold. Also evident is that the heal gets stretched and the toes pointed while being removed. So the gripped side stays stretched slightly, the area where the heal and arch meet stays stretched, and the toe of the boot stays pointed.
    I might try to shrink another pair in naphtha and I think that will work way better because they won't be getting expanded before they are reduced.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

Another unfortunate victim of shrinkage.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• ddgaff1132
        Persistent Member
        • Oct 3, 2007

Not sure if this fits the intended narrative, but. I had several Ken an Sunshine Fam boots I tried the acetone shrink method on. In my case it's the length of time dipped in the solution. These type of boots seem to be made of a softer vinyl. They really shrunk to the point of imploding. I believe the suggested dip time is 10 min. (Heads). I have yet to figure dip time for these boots.
        Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
        MEGO MOTORS

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎