X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Doctor Who - 2022/2023

And that's it. Jodie Whittaker, the first female Doctor, has regenerated.

Appearances from past Doctors and companions at least made "The Power of the Doctor" somewhat watchable.

Whether RTD can reverse the decline of the show when it returns next year remains to be seen. However, it's unlikely after Chibnall's vandalism of almost 60 years of DW continuity with his "The Timeless Children" debacle.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Oct 23, '22, 4:34 PM.
    PUNY HUMANS!
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Boy howdy, IMO that was a shining example of what this era has become. It was bloated, derivative of past seasons, and full of padding with some genuinely sweet and sincere moments. I won't go into the effects (yikes!). I had a big smile on my face when Jody regenerated because it meant getting rid of Chibnall, but I really felt bad for Whittaker. She got the wrong showrunner. I truly feel she got cheated in some respects by sloppy writing, weird music choices and ugly design.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

And Disney + will be the exclusive home for the new seasons outside of the UK and Ireland.
      (Also nice to see the BBC giving one of the classic DW logos some love. (My favourite of all the DW logos, too.)

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Oct 26, '22, 6:28 PM.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^Ooh, that's great news. We used to watch Doctor Who regularly, but during the Capaldi run, Dish couldn't decide whether or not our package got BBC America and kept pulling it, then bringing it back. We then dropped cable and went to streaming only, so I've been out of the loop with Who for years.
        sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

I’m surprised anyone is still watching this. To be fair to Jodie, who is the worst doctor ever and never should have been cast, this franchise was going downhill long before she came on the scene. Capaldi’s run was hardly any better. The only reason it doesn’t get crapped on as badly as Jodie’s is because he was a better, more charismatic actor, and because Moffat wasn’t narcissistic enough to flush 60 years worth of history down the toilet.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Liu Bei
            I’m surprised anyone is still watching this. To be fair to Jodie, who is the worst doctor ever and never should have been cast, this franchise was going downhill long before she came on the scene. Capaldi’s run was hardly any better. The only reason it doesn’t get crapped on as badly as Jodie’s is because he was a better, more charismatic actor, and because Moffat wasn’t narcissistic enough to flush 60 years worth of history down the toilet.
            I tend to agree. Capaldi deserved better stories. There was such great potential for his tenure as the Doctor, but it was squandered by Moffat.
            And Chibnall's time as show-runner has been catastrophic. The writing for Whittaker's run was absolutely terrible, by far the worst in the show's history.
            Bringing Tennant back for a limited run before Gatwa takes over is an attempt to rekindle interest in the show, but unless RTD erases the nonsensical garbage of "The Timeless Children" (which is unlikely), things don't look good for DW.
            Last edited by Bruce Banner; Oct 26, '22, 6:31 PM.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
              Banned
              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
              I tend to agree. Capaldi deserved better stories. There was such great potential for his tenure as the Doctor, but it was squandered by Moffat.
              And Chibnall's time as show-runner has been catastrophic. The writing for Whittaker's run was absolutely terrible, by far the worst in the show's history.
              Bringing Tennant back for a limited run before Gatwa takes over is an attempt to rekindle interest in the show, but unless RTD erases the nonsensical garbage of "The Timeless Children" (which is unlikely), things don't look good for DW.
              That’s exactly what it is, just desperate flailing. RTD can’t save the show, because he won’t be allowed to undo what Chinballs did, assuming he even could. Whatever interest the BBC has in Doctor Who, it’s in no way connected with telling good stories or honoring the legacy of the show.

That said, I may not be the best person to ask. I never really enjoyed any NuWho, starting with Eccleston. The show never rose above tolerable for me. Classic Who is the only real Doctor Who in my book.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Liu Bei

That said, I may not be the best person to ask. I never really enjoyed any NuWho, starting with Eccleston. The show never rose above tolerable for me. Classic Who is the only real Doctor Who in my book.
                Same here. Nu-Who was always overrated, IMO. One or two genuinely good episodes, but overall very mediocre.

(But I'm also critical of later era classic Who, which started to go downhill fast when John Nathan-Turner took over as producer in 1980.)
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I'm such a purist, I don't think any Who episodes after the first one were even close to watchable!!

Kidding, of course. I really wanted to like this. I was hoping for one decent, last episode to fairly evaluate Whitaker. She never had a fair shot at the role. Just terrible writing and even worse stories. I'm very apprehensive about bringing Tennant back (whom I loved as the Doctor). It just feels like the ultimate forced attempt at relying on things that worked in the past rather than engaging with something new. Just plain lazy! I mean, how many times are the Daleks AND the Cybermen going to come back and be wiped out. I did enjoy watching Sacha Dhawan chew up the scenery as the Master.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

New Doctor's companion announced. Actress Millie Gibson playing Ruby Sunday.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Trailer:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

After living through the late Capaldi/Whittaker years I find myself spent on all things Dr Who.

Can't imagine myself ever getting back into it.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I'm cautiously optimistic and Capaldi was superb.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Mikey
                              After living through the late Capaldi/Whittaker years I find myself spent on all things Dr Who.

Can't imagine myself ever getting back into it.
                              At least you made it that far. I couldn't even get past Eccelston. NuWho has been trash from the get-go, at least for me. It just never did feel right.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎