X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Korg 70,000 B.C.

I came across this show by accident looking up old board games.

It was a live action Hanna Barbara Saturday morning TV show about Neanderthals from 1974. I have absolutely no memory of this or was even aware it existed.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

I was too young to remember this but since they had a comic book I have since started to get familiar with the show:

Korg featured the adventures of a family of Neanderthals during the Ice Age. It was intended to be educational, and was based on the best then-current research about Neanderthal life; however, some situations had to be watered down for a young audience. Actor Burgess Meredith supplied the narration. There were 19 episode in the season. The DVD only has 16 of the 19 episode.

Korg 70,000 B.C..jpg

A board game of the same title was produced by the US toy company Milton Bradley as a direct tie-in. Charlton Comics published a Korg comic book from May 1975 to November 1976 (well after the show had left the air). The series was written and drawn by Pat Boyette, and lasted nine issues.

korg70000bc01-cover (1).jpg

Korg 70,000 B.C. lunchbox.jpg

Korg 70,000 B.C. bg jpg.jpg
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I had the lunchbox--I've no idea why, as I don't recall the show at all.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

I like the comic book cover, I can see someone making custom figures of Korg.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

I had the View-Master reels, but I only vaguely remember ever watching the show.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I remember catching the show once as a kid, no dinosaurs, no Brian. The only thing that kept it in my consciousness was the local variety store had the boardgame from about 1974 until the late 1980s. It was right next to the Planet of the Apes kit that started me on this journey.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i have no memory of this show at all. don't think i have ever even heard of it in passing.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

There is a youtube channel that is showing 15 episodes:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

So, was Mego's OMBC a riff on Korg? I've always assumed so.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

th (13).jpg

The Mego cave men were marketed the movie One Million BC.
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Well, in the same way Mad Monsters were marketed for Universal horrors. Certainly OMBC was not licensed and 9 years later. But Korg was contemporaneous with the line, and Mego chose to do a family like the show, not tribes as in the film.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 22, '22, 5:09 PM.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

I remember the show. I liked it better than the cartoon that had a modern family living in the past with a cave family.

Comment

• publiusr
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Aug 23, 2015

Perhaps a bit sadder
                          The first Neanderthal draft genome was published in 2010. Since then, researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology have sequenced a further 18 genomes from 14 different archaeological sites throughout Eurasia. While these genomes have provided insights into the broader strokes of Neanderthal history, we still know little of individual Neanderthal communities.

Not surprising
                          Researchers have used new analytical techniques on a Neanderthal molar from Spain, their findings suggests Neanderthals there were carnivores.

Comment

• Boris71
                            GeekBot' For Life
                            • May 13, 2007

Just watched korg, have to say the start was very similar to the PotA TV series, not too bad a show.
                            Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

There definitely seemed to be a caveman craze in the 70s. I vaguely recall my sister and her friend putting together an Aurora caveman model kit. If only they had went for the monsters!

I don't remember this show, but have come across some items from it, like the comics.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎