• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Star Trek - The Naked Time talk

Something I've often wondered …

Bare in mind I know this episode aired very early in the Classic Series and should be taken with a grain of salt but still, this dialog always had me wondering … As a nerd fan

SCRIPT:

SPOCK: What is it, Nurse?

CHAPEL: Mister Spock, (takes his hand) the men from Vulcan treat their women strangely. At least, people say that, but you're part human too. I know you don't, you couldn't, hurt me, would you? I'm in love with you, Mister Spock. You, the human Mister Spock, the Vulcan Mister Spock.

Nothing beyond this episode makes me think Vulcan women are treated badly or "strangely" --- not even in hearsay or rumour

Was Chapel implying she thought Vulcan men beat their women up ?

If so, this would go against everything logical about the planet.

Even if the reference wasn't directed toward violence the theory would still crumble under the "logic" aspect.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i always took it to mean without emotion. coldness towards their women

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
      i always took it to mean without emotion. coldness towards their women
      Agreed.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

^--- I've never looked it like that

Seems if they were cold toward their women --- Their women in return would be cold toward their men (balancing out a nasty society)

If anything, reminded more of an a UN-NAMED planet society which requires their women to wear head-dresses, are not allowed to drive cars, and must sleep outside when their curse is punishing them.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

it would be the same treatment from Vulcan women towards their men, and of course neither would be affected by that.

as you said, it was very early in the series and they had not really created Vulcan society yet

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Mikey
            ^--- I've never looked it like that

Seems if they were cold toward their women --- Their women in return would be cold toward their men (balancing out a nasty society)

If anything, reminded more of an a UN-NAMED planet society which requires their women to wear head-dresses, are not allowed to drive cars, and must sleep outside when their curse is punishing them.
            What would be nasty about it? It would just mean the relationship was built on logic, not emotion. Society could probably do with a nice dose of Vulcan logic right about now.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎