X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blastphemey
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 11, 2008

Calling all sewers! - Advice for Sewing

I've just begun my adventure into sewing as I'm eager to make more figures. I have started with something relatively simple like a t-shirt that will be used on another Bob Belcher t-shirt. I didn't hem the bottom because it will be tucked in but what can I do to make it better? The collar is cut little too small, but is there something I can do to make it better?

IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8431.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Hard to tell about the collar without a head on the figure.

Comment

• Ethan
      • Sep 17, 2022

T shirt collars are supposed to be tight. Like what was said put the head on. Do yourself a favor and mess it up. That way you'll learn from it. Collars are interesting at this size you'll get it.

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

Good thing about it being too small is that you can turn it back inside out and cut it a little bigger. You might have to re-sew the shoulders a bit if you didn't use a machine (it looks hand sewn from what I can see, which is what I do. Never mastered the sewing machine). Same really goes for any part of it if it comes out big; you can always take in the seams a little. I do a lot of re-sizing and taking in, especially on things like jackets, as everything isn't always going to fit perfectly the first time you try it on. Are you using a pattern? You can use glue, like a glue stick, for really small seams like the collar, just being careful not to use it too heavy (it can bleed through). And, depending on the costume and the width of the neck hole, you can sometimes tuck the material into the hole as you insert the head, depending on the kind and thickness of the material. With these figures, the big thing is to learn to make small stitches (again, if it's by hand). It takes practice, but you'll start seeing what does and doesn't work.
        Last edited by scott metzger; Oct 7, '22, 1:48 PM.

Comment

• bobws
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 13, 2008

It looks to me like a real nice job.
          "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• blastphemey
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 11, 2008

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really should invest in a sewing machine. I did a couple other projects and while they came out decent, it took me waayy to long and the neck pain isn't worth it either.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by blastphemey
              Thanks for the feedback guys. I really should invest in a sewing machine. I did a couple other projects and while they came out decent, it took me waayy to long and the neck pain isn't worth it either.
              Probably nothing you don't know already, but if you're looking for a sewing machine, sometimes thrift stores get them in as donations, and they're usually in pretty nice shape too...

Comment

• blastphemey
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 11, 2008

Originally posted by apes3978
                Probably nothing you don't know already, but if you're looking for a sewing machine, sometimes thrift stores get them in as donations, and they're usually in pretty nice shape too...
                I've found a couple second hand on fb marketplace but I actually had not thought to check out thrift stores, the prices are probably very good. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by blastphemey
                  I've found a couple second hand on fb marketplace but I actually had not thought to check out thrift stores, the prices are probably very good. Thanks for the idea!
                  You're welcome...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎