Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever bury and leave your toys in the ground?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Why?

Why do kids sometimes bury their toys? I remember burying some an action figures during the course of an "adventure", but I never left them there. Do some kids bury them, meaning to release them and then forget? Is it some sort of time capsule, thinking about who will find them later?

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Heck, no, I didn't even like getting my toys dirty.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

My friends and I made a "Time Capsule" and put some extra toys and comics we had in there. It stayed buried for maybe a month before we couldn't stand ourselves and dug it up.

I buried toys in the course of play with my friends. I lost two Dukes from GI Joe: RAH to the earth. One we buried on purpose, near my Dad's garden. But then we forgot where we buried him! A year or so later, we accidentally dug him up! He was under a large cinder block at the edge of the garden.

The second was lost forever in a tragic boating accident. A Cobra depth charge capsized the Devil Fish boat in a nearby creek. Duke's foot peg didn't hold, and he was tossed from the boat. I chased him on foot down stream, but he was eventually sucked into a snake hole in the side of the bank. His body was never recovered.
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
        Heck, no, I didn't even like getting my toys dirty.
        Exactly.

OP: The famous buried Mego Drac.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          His body was never recovered.
          The tragic end to all-too-many buried toy stories.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• tay666
            Career Member
            • Dec 27, 2008

I don't remember intentionally burying anything.
            I do remember loosing toys while digging in the dirt
            You'd be digging and accidentally cover a toy, then get called away by your parents, or someone you were playing with. By the time you got back, you had no idea where it was, or where it went.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, no i never buried my toys either...at least not to bury for good. we certainly played with them in the and and probably lost some that way, but never purposely. i know my older brother was doing some gardening at my parents house about a decade ago and found Commander Adama in the dirt. he cleaned up pretty well after decades in the earth

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

I guess this is the only time this will be relevant
                Screenshot_20220930-041102_Facebook.jpg

Comment

• RonnyG
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 23, 2014

No, I treated my toys like gold!

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

Green army men probably was about as burying as I ever got and I'm sure some didn't see the light of day again.

I know I heard a story about someone burying Captain Action and Action Boy in aluminum foil tombs and burying them in their backyard. Many years later after his parents moved from the house he came back with the current owner's permission and used a metal detector to try to locate them. I don't believe the toy archeology paid off, at least it didn't the last time I heard the story.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thesharkman
                      Museum Patron
                      • Nov 1, 2019

Originally posted by drquest
                      Green army men probably was about as burying as I ever got and I'm sure some didn't see the light of day again.

I know I heard a story about someone burying Captain Action and Action Boy in aluminum foil tombs and burying them in their backyard. Many years later after his parents moved from the house he came back with the current owner's permission and used a metal detector to try to locate them. I don't believe the toy archeology paid off, at least it didn't the last time I heard the story.
                      hahaha..was that andi orl?

thesharkman

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by thesharkman
                        hahaha..was that andi orl?

thesharkman
                        Ah yes I started to write it was Andi, but couldn't remember. Awesome story actually!
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

I lost quite a few Hot Wheels to the pile of sand in the backyard as a kid. We sold my childhood house about 8 years ago. I was visiting my brother down the road from it, and walked on past it. The new owner was there, we chatted, and he found my Hot Wheels from 1972. No offer to return them, though.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎