X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

New Non-Horror, Non-Licensed Lines

Would it benefit Mego to dive back into non-horror unlicensed lines?

Now before you quickly shout, "Of course!!", remember who the present-day Mego company serves. Today, Mego sells to a niche collecting market, NOT to a massive, broad audience of little boys. Lines like World's Greatest Super Knights and Heroes of the American West were toys. Toys that appealed to kids in the 70s. Most of us here would admit to a Mego bias, perhaps even a mania, but would adult collectors who are passing on many of the figures Mego IS producing today line up for non-licensed figures like Vikings or First Responders? Or do you think there would only be value in reproducing new versions of their old non-licensed figures like Knights and Merry Men?

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Mego-Amigo
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 22, 2011

I personally would love to see Mego do reissues of the American West, Knights, Pirates, Robin Hood and Mad Monsters with new additions to those lines. I don't think they will do them but I would buy them all if they did. I have always loved those lines.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Knights and Vikings would get me to bite, and I am currently passing on most Mego offerings since about wave 4 or 5, but then my tastes are probably even more niche than most current Mego buyers and don't align with a lot of the properties succeeding in todays collectibles market.

The problem would also be distribution and display. Non-licensed, non-horror would likely not do well in pre-orders at online sellers or in the electronics/collectibles section of Walmart or Target, but might do well in the toy departments or in places like Family Dollar and such where kids and their parents could actually see them and buy them (but where licensed collectibles would not do well). But that would mean aiming for a different market than their current customer base and I am not sure that is a workable business plan in 2022.

-M
      Last edited by MRP; Sep 27, '22, 5:41 PM.
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

I would like to see the return of Dinah Mite, and especially Black Dinah mite and Health Spa Dinah Mite as those two are ridiculously expensive to find. Also, package them in reproductions of their boxes they came in. They could also package them in some of their iconic fashion outfits as variants. Does Mego still own the Dinah license?

IMG_20210815_101730.jpgIMG_20210814_203533.jpgIMG_20210814_202811.jpg
        Last edited by RonnyG; Sep 27, '22, 2:07 PM.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by RonnyG
          Does Mego still own the Dinah license?
          I don't know about Dinah. They no longer own Action Jackson, though.

But do you think Dinah would sell to others besides you and me?

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I don't think reissued knights or pirates or cowboys would sell outside of hardcore Mego collectors.

Still, generic properties *could* work. Someone at the Museum occasionally suggests a Greek mythology line... and based on the seeming success of the Medusa figure, I could see that working. I think an 8 inch line of Lion Rock style soldiers could find a market. Etc. But even for the concepts that are viable, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Probably smarter to stick with properties that have a strong built-in collector fanbase.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Slam. Dunk.

Also Ghost Pirates.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Wee67
                I don't know about Dinah. They no longer own Action Jackson, though.

But do you think Dinah would sell to others besides you and me?
                Probably not. It's a niche market, but at least they wouldn't have to pay license fees if they still own the character.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I would love to see newer version of the Knights. That King is just awful. I would love to add more knights to the fold and release the Queen!!!

The Pirates wore "loud' outfits, I would like them more like the history books

Vikings should sell well with as many shows/movies out there.

I would love more generic monsters to fill my ReMego bar!!

Old West are always a seller as long as they are in accurate outfits and the heads look the character. I would like to see female figures in the lineup like some of the knock-offs offered.

Another seller are indeed Ninjas and or Samurais.

The bonus is you could use all these as DC Comic villain henchmen or base for custom DC Characters if somebody where to pick the right figures.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

More generic monsters too. Other companies seem to be taking up that niche, though. Mego seems to be license only at this point.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• zeedox
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 10, 2007

I bet folks would buy the Walmart worker/Target worker megos.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Since Mego is keeping the figures at $20 or under they would sell quicker.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by zeedox
                          I might...If they looked neat. I've always found the idea of figures based around your average schmo interesting.

Like those figures released by Bass Pro shop years ago.
                          Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by zeedox
                            Then we could harass the figures asking if they could put some Megos aside in their next shipment!

Comment

• MRP
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Wee67
                              Then we could harass the figures asking if they could put some Megos aside in their next shipment!
                              Would that make them beside themselves?

-M
                              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎