Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Origins wave 9 comparisons.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Wun-Dar the buy 3 get one free brown haired mail in offer He-Man.

Attachment 33857

The original mail in figure did not come with the black Zodac vest. That's from the 1983 Weapons Pak. It seems like the figure only came with a couple random burgundy-colored weapons that were included as a bonus with a limited number of Man-E-Faces figures. The weapons are re-colors of a few of the weapons that was included with the weapons rack that came with Castle Grayskull. He did not come with a Zodac gun and the new weapons are kind of a chocolatey color.
    I remember seeing an episode of Toy Hunter that had a bit on this figure. I thought the mystery around it as possibly a Wonder Bread mail away was kind of neat. Funny the figure here is called "Wun-Dar". Is that a wink at the rumors?

What a fun line of figures this has been.

Images
    Funny the figure here is called "Wun-Dar". Is that a wink at the rumors?
    Yes. The MOTU Classics Wun-Dar even came with a loaf of bread accessory!
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

I always enjoy your comparison posts! Origins is one of my favorite modern lines. I just received my Whiplash and King Randor today! My Grizzlors will be here tomorrow and Wun-Dar on Monday. Such a fun line!

Images
    I remember seeing an episode of Toy Hunter that had a bit on this figure. I thought the mystery around it as possibly a Wonder Bread mail away was kind of neat. Funny the figure here is called "Wun-Dar". Is that a wink at the rumors?

What a fun line of figures this has been.
    Werewolf is the expert here, but my understanding is that the Wonder Bread theory has been debunked, and it's now known that this He-Man came from a "Buy Three Get One Free" offer that had nothing to do with Wonder Bread, although they had their own MOTU promotion back in the day. Wun-Dar has stuck because Mattel released the MOTU Classics figure while the Wonder Bread theory was still everyone's best guess.
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    That's my understanding, too. The accessories were added from existing MOTU sets after release.

I was pleased to get an Origins version, I think it's nice.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Werewolf is the expert here,
    Thank you, you are way too kind.

Yeah, just like you said, it's a nod to the Wonder Bread rumor and with the release of MOTUC figure the name just kind of stuck.

When the figure first started popping up online there were all kind of rumors going around. Wonder Bread, the Mattel Mail-in offer and even the Nestle Quik promotion were theories. Heck, a lot of people didn't even think it was real. When I got mine ages ago it was more of an oddity than a must have. I remember back in the late 90s early 2000s you could still get MOC original He-Man and Skeletor figures less than $100. Now they are just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 24, '22 at 4:06 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Finally getting caught up on these.

2002 He-Man vs Origins.

muo02hm.JPG

The 2002 reboot figures were always a bit too Spawn-ized for me with the hunched over backs, tiny heads, Image comics ammo pouches and one big boots. But, I still kinda dig them. The designs aren't terrible and I think would have been a lot better received done in a more vintage style like Origins. There were a lot of cool vehicles were in that line. Which are in perfect scale with and compatible with Origins. Even the foot pegs are the same size. Origins Skel looks really cool driving the Battle Ram Chariot and He-Man looks better on the 2002 Battle Cat than the 2002 figure.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 17, '22 at 5:15 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    2002 Skeletor vs Origins.

muo02skel.JPG

The 2002 re-design of He-Man isn't great. Probably one of my least favorite of the 2002 line. But I actually really like design of the 2002 Skeletor. Still not crazy about the tiny head, though.

Images
    Target exclusive Sun Man 3 pack

muosm3pack.JPG

Sun Man with new head, Metallic Pig Head repaint and exclusive Space Sumo.

Space Sumo has a removable mask and shares the same head mold as the 3 pack Sun Man. Really digging the metallic paints on this Pig Head.

Images
    Spot-on about metallic paints on Pig Head--really makes him look more formidable. Space Sumo is great, I like the head sculpt a lot and don't mind the repurposing for the Sun Man variant.

If I figure correctly, Hypno will complete the Sun=Man subset, unless unproduced figures are planned.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.