Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe Origins wave 9 comparisons.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Masters of the Universe Origins wave 9 comparisons.

Haven't done one of these in a while. This series has been very challenging to hunt down.

First off, Grizzlor. They're so Fluffy!

Vintage vs Origins

muogrizz.JPG

I adore Grizzlor. The soft fluffy teddy bear fur and cute face on what is supposed to be a scary evil beast. I've always loved this figure. I'm glad they kept the fur. It's just not Grizzlor without the fur. It's like Panthor with no flocking, it's just not the same.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Leech

Vintage vs Origins.

muoleech.JPG

Origins figure came with an extra head and set of hands. Does not have the pump action to suck the air out of his mouth. Still works great.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 20, '22, 6:51 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Mantenna

Vintage vs Origins.

muotenna.JPG

The Origins figure has the improvement of four separate articulated legs. The bug out eye action feature works differently. The vintage figure has a lever your move up to pop out the eyes and the new one has a lever you have to hold down to make them pop out. The new one is also quite a bit taller. I prefer the brighter blue color of the vintage figure.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 20, '22, 6:53 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Snout Spout

Vintage vs Origins.

muosnout.JPG

The Origins figure has an additional non water squirting head and backpack. The water squirting action is different. The vintage figure you pulled out a plastic cork on his back and filled his chest with water. The water squirting was then activated by pushing a button on his back. It basically works like a squirt gun. The new one has a removable rubber back which attaches to the head with a hose. You fill the backpack by dipping his snout in water and squeezing his backpack. Once filled you squeeze the backpack again to squirt the water out his snout.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Kol Darr

muokoldarr.JPG

Kol Darr was in one episode of the Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon. There isn't a vintage figure of him. Not really sure what wave he officially belongs to.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Some thoughts:

*Grizzlor--I like the new light brown version but always wanted molded fur. I was hoping he had a Beastman torso underneath, but no.

*Leech & Snout Spout--Great alternate parts. I like Snout Spout's Filmation head, which is atypical of me.

*Mantenna--Just awesome.

*Kol-dar--I think Mattel dropped the ball with the colors of his armor & weapons.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne

*Kol-dar--I think Mattel dropped the ball with the colors of his armor & weapons.
              I think, overall, Kol Darr is a bit of a head scratcher. I mean, there's cooler one shot characters from the cartoons. If they wanted to do cartoon characters that never had a figure before, I think the Red Knight from She-Ra is a cooler character and more interesting design. I guess it all has to do with the very little new tooling needed for the character.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Wun-Dar the buy 3 get one free brown haired mail in offer He-Man.

muowundar.JPG

The original mail in figure did not come with the black Zodac vest. That's from the 1983 Weapons Pak. It seems like the figure only came with a couple random burgundy-colored weapons that were included as a bonus with a limited number of Man-E-Faces figures. The weapons are re-colors of a few of the weapons that was included with the weapons rack that came with Castle Grayskull. He did not come with a Zodac gun and the new weapons are kind of a chocolatey color.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Sad to say I don't know if I'll see these figures on pegs in my area. I enjoy buying MOTU Origins as a fun impulse buy, but all my stores have are endless supplies of Fistos, LOP Mer-Man and Filmation colors Evil-Lyn.

Thanks for the comparisons as always. Suprised by the dark blue paint on Mantenna and the lack of orange on his chest. Origins usually gives us more paint apps than the classics.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Suprised by the dark blue paint on Mantenna and the lack of orange on his chest. Origins usually gives us more paint apps than the classics.
                    The orange is still there. The darker orange paint they used just doesn't show up as well on the red plastic. Mantenna is unusual for Origins. They are usually much brighter than their vintage counterparts and Mantenna is the opposite.
                    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 22, '22, 9:58 AM.

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      Wun-Dar the buy 3 get one free brown haired mail in offer He-Man.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33857[/ATTACH]

The original mail in figure did not come with the black Zodac vest. That's from the 1983 Weapons Pak. It seems like the figure only came with a couple random burgundy-colored weapons that were included as a bonus with a limited number of Man-E-Faces figures. The weapons are re-colors of a few of the weapons that was included with the weapons rack that came with Castle Grayskull. He did not come with a Zodac gun and the new weapons are kind of a chocolatey color.
                      I remember seeing an episode of Toy Hunter that had a bit on this figure. I thought the mystery around it as possibly a Wonder Bread mail away was kind of neat. Funny the figure here is called "Wun-Dar". Is that a wink at the rumors?

What a fun line of figures this has been.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

Funny the figure here is called "Wun-Dar". Is that a wink at the rumors?
                        Yes. The MOTU Classics Wun-Dar even came with a loaf of bread accessory!
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Jase
                          • Sep 22, 2021

I always enjoy your comparison posts! Origins is one of my favorite modern lines. I just received my Whiplash and King Randor today! My Grizzlors will be here tomorrow and Wun-Dar on Monday. Such a fun line!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I remember seeing an episode of Toy Hunter that had a bit on this figure. I thought the mystery around it as possibly a Wonder Bread mail away was kind of neat. Funny the figure here is called "Wun-Dar". Is that a wink at the rumors?

What a fun line of figures this has been.
                            Werewolf is the expert here, but my understanding is that the Wonder Bread theory has been debunked, and it's now known that this He-Man came from a "Buy Three Get One Free" offer that had nothing to do with Wonder Bread, although they had their own MOTU promotion back in the day. Wun-Dar has stuck because Mattel released the MOTU Classics figure while the Wonder Bread theory was still everyone's best guess.
                            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

That's my understanding, too. The accessories were added from existing MOTU sets after release.

I was pleased to get an Origins version, I think it's nice.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎