X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Planet of the Apes Treehouse

Vintage Mego looks at what was likely the best selling Mego Playset of all time, the Planet of the Apes treehouse. What’s ironic is, it wasn’t originally even made for the apes. Learn how Mego took a bit of good fortune in one of the movies into sales gold. New to the channel? Subscribe! ?https://bit.ly/3D3zxJK…

• Apositive
    Career Member
    • Apr 3, 2011

Cool video! Makes me want to re-collect a treehouse for my apes

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Enjoyable video, I thought the Dinah mite commercial had a catchy tune. I think back in the day if I had seen the POTA Treehouse and or AJ Jungle house, I would have begged Mom to buy it for me, since it would have been perfect for my mego Tarzan.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Absolutely love seeing that awesome group of Ape-prototypes every time! I still remain jealous of those kids!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
          Absolutely love seeing that awesome group of Ape-prototypes every time! I still remain jealous of those kids!
          It makes sense that Mego would have the Treehouse ready before the figures.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I guess Tarzan was never a good enough seller to warrant a WGSH version of the Treehouse? Too bad!

Great video as always!
            sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I guess Tarzan was never a good enough seller to warrant a WGSH version of the Treehouse? Too bad!
              As a kid, I had little interest in my flesh-PJ'ed Tarzan.

As an adult collector, I really wanted only wanted him to complete my WGSH line.

If Mego had made this into a Tarzan playset, not only would I have chased one down, in box, I would have spent oodles of time trying to find 1/9-scale animals to share it with my custom Jane figure.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• 80's Kid
                • Jul 3, 2022

I had no idea this was the best selling playset in Mego history. I'd have guessed the Batcave. I'm not sure I ever even saw one of these as a kid, but I did have (and loved) the Fortress. I WANT one but I'm trying to focus on reclaiming and completing WGSH (minus secret ID's) first.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
                  As a kid, I had little interest in my flesh-PJ'ed Tarzan.
                  As a kid, I just wanted to see Tarzan, really badly. He was out of stock at every store, I remember my sister telling me about the pajamas. That did not deter me.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Wow, I would have guessed the Enterprise was the best selling playset. It's the only one I ever remember seeing as a kid.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

i would have guess Enterprise as well. i had the tree house and the fortress for the Apes and they were well loved. I never even knew about the other apes playsets, but the tree house was a mainstay. i have one now but it is really big to have set up

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎