Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monster64
    • Sep 9, 2022

Making my own AHI Frankenstein Replica

Halloween is coming! To celebrate the cooler weather, I want my long-lost AHI Frankenstein that I had as a kid on my desk ASAP.

Since he’s not made anymore, I thought I’d piece one together out of parts. You know, like uh….Frankenstein, LOL!!!

Everything seems doable except the head….nobody makes a repro AHI Frankenstein head?

I see Doc Mego has a Frankenstein head available but it’s the Mego version, not AHI.

I think I could paint a head. Sculpting one is too much. So is paying $300.00 or so for an original. Any suggestions on how I could build my monster?
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Its a copy of the Aurora model so maybe there is a cheap one out there, its been reproed alot
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Maybe you can find an affordable beater or broken ahi Frankenstein and upgrade the head? just a thought.

Comment

• Monster64
        • Sep 9, 2022

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Its a copy of the Aurora model so maybe there is a cheap one out there, its been reproed alot
        Yup - I thought the same thing but I’m not finding anything out there. I bought the unpainted Doc Mego Mad Monsters head, some mad monsters clothes and might just go with that version until I locate a green AHI repro or beater head.

I want to see if I can paint a head as I’ve never attempted it. I’ll make something - probably not what I wanted but it’s ok.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

I think you can find an AHI Frank head and cast it. Then sell the head back on ebay. You can cast it in green to make the painting easier. I'm not really sure why nobody sells resin casts of the AHI monsters but there it is.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Replac...ads_c_377.html
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Monster64
              • Sep 9, 2022

Thanks for the link…those heads aren’t AHI Frankenstein heads, unfortunately. They’re actually higher quality and more screen accurate.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

I actually did the reverse, and made an AHI inspired Aurora Frankenstein.

I even simulated the paint rub.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  I actually did the reverse, and made an AHI inspired Aurora Frankenstein.

I even simulated the paint rub.

Those look amazing with fantastic details, beautiful work.

Comment

• Monster64
                    • Sep 9, 2022

Originally posted by TrekStar
                    Those look amazing with fantastic details, beautiful work.
                    I concur! That’s it! I had one of those in the 1970s. I think my dad bought it for me at DisneyWorld or during a trip there. That thing was great! I remember playing with it on the car trip. I’d had Action Jacksons before and noticed the toy was about the same size.

Those are great memories. I do not know what happened to my Frankenstein….I was a destructive little stinker so I probably took him apart and couldn’t put him back together, got mad and destroyed everything. Yeah, I was a little stink-head when I was 10 or so….

Thanks for the awesome work!!!!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Yep it was at the Magic Shop on Main Street USA in Disney that carried the AHI monsters

Comment

• Monster64
                        • Sep 9, 2022

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        ^^^ Yep it was at the Magic Shop on Main Street USA in Disney that carried the AHI monsters
                        Wow! I’d forgotten that there was a “Magic Shop” there but yeah….I think Mom and Dad even let me get a battery operated bank where a ghostly hand came up and snatched the coin when you put it in a slot.

Yeah….that must have been 1975 or 1976.

They got it right the first time with that Aurora/AHI head sculpt. To me there is no other 8” Frankenstein, but I’m going to build something anyway.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Monster64
                          Thanks for the link…those heads aren’t AHI Frankenstein heads, unfortunately. They’re actually higher quality and more screen accurate.
                          Yeah I know, but they are cool. Really like the 50s one they show

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of Frankenstein, I really wish mego would make a Glen Strange version of Frankenstein based on all 3 movies he played the monster in and also the Chaney version too.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TrekStar
                              Speaking of Frankenstein, I really wish mego would make a Glen Strange version of Frankenstein based on all 3 movies he played the monster in and also the Chaney version too.
                              Isn't the non Karloff EMCE version Glenn Strange?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎