X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Dungeons and Dragons VS Dark Tower

Which was better for Milton Bradley’s The Dark Tower or Mattel’s Electronic Dungeons and Dragons? I’m sincerely asking because I’ve never played either. Not for lack of trying, mind you. I was ten when the fantasy craze started in the early 1980s, and I got swept up in it. I tried to play Dungeons and […]
    The post Dungeons and Dragons VS Dark Tower appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Never had either, so I can't really help you there. I wanted to get into RPGs, and got the Mayfair DC Comics game for Christmas the year it came out. I never could get my friends to sit down long enough to set up a game. Loved the Sourcebooks though!

My jam was Hero Quest. I had two sets of friends who were into it. I was happy to see the new verison at Game Stop a few months back.
    sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Dark Tower was an incredible game for the time. I can still remember all of its little musical cues and sound effects, all of these years later.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

In terms of game play, Dark Tower blew the doors of the electronic D&D game, which I found to be almost unplayable. Neither compared to actually playing an rpg with friends because both had to follow a "script" of sorts which limited variety.

The Dungeon board game (put out by TSR as well) came closest to emulating actual D&D at that time.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Dark Tower and Risk were the board games my friends and I would play the most. As far as D & D, we only played the RPG; never tried Mattel's.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Dark Tower was a real marvel for its time. A great gaming experience.

Never played the Mattel D&D electronic board game, but I did play both of the Mattel Intellivision AD&D cartridges extensively.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
              valar morghulis
              • Mar 8, 2005

Dark Tower was great, two of my friends had it and our gang played it quite a bit during our 80s teen D&D years. Plague!!

One of my aforementioned friends also had the electronic D&D game, but I don't remember it making much of an impression.

Restoration Games released a new version of Dark Tower a couple years ago, a crowd-funded production:

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎