X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Top 13 Super Powers Figures RANKED

13th Dimension maven Dan Greenfield tasked me with ranking the Top 13 Classic Super Powers figures. I think I agonized over this more than most people wrestle with their Last Will & Testament. But whether you agree with me or not, at least you get to marvel at the gorgeous SP images created by our own Dwayne (enyawd72) Pinkney! Dwayne graciously agreed to allow us to run his photographic masterpieces along with the article.

sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm especially fond of the later Samurai and Golden Pharaoh figures, but I think you chose well. Spot-on regarding Aquaman.

As much as I love all things Penguin, the SP version disappointed me in being very obese and dressed in a blue coat. Great weapon, though!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, there's no bad figures in the line, so it was really hard to chose. I kind of hate Pharaoh and Cyclotron for taking valuable space away from real DC characters, but they are still great toys.

Brainiac, Plastic Man and Dr. Fate were hovering in the 14-16 range.
      sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Great read! I always like your list articles and the point you made about Green Arrow bringing out the best in toy manufacturers made me chuckle because "so true". Also, so cool to see Dwayne's "Super-photography" used in the article.

I was just aged out of toys when Super Powers came out so there has never been a drive for me to pursue the line as a collector. However, seeing the new Supermobile made me track one down and now I am kind of wanting a few of the Kenner figures like Aquaman and Green Lantern.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

This was fun. The Flash was one of my most memorable Christmas Eve open gifts ever.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

that was a fun read. great list

Comment

• Atomikhammer
              • Nov 20, 2012

Great read
              I would have nudged Dr. Fate in there, but there are so many great figures in this line.
              I'm only missing a few - Cyborg of course - but will complete one day.
              I have also got all three of the first new wave and both vehicles....The new supermobile is a MUST

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

The SP WW is a great sculpt and the first time I saw molded long hair really done right.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Doctor Fate, Joker, and Mr. Freeze I like better than Lex. But a pretty good job getting all the heavy hitters in there.

Comment

• thesharkman
                    Museum Patron
                    • Nov 1, 2019

One thing I never understood was why Cyborg was included in this line. He was a Teen Titan, NOT a Justice League member! I'll stand by that to the end...LOL.

thesharkman

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Doctor Fate, Joker, and Mr. Freeze I like better than Lex. But a pretty good job getting all the heavy hitters in there.
                      Thanks. Full disclosure, I have never liked the SP Joker hadsculpt. The top of his head is weirdly pinched and looks too small to me. I know they were really basing it on specific JLGL art, but he's drawn better Jokers. I prferred the Nicholson-esque head that they used on that same body in The Dark Knight Collection line.

One thing I never understood was why Cyborg was included in this line. He was a Teen Titan, NOT a Justice League member! I'll stand by that to the end...LOL.
                      Well, Robin was never in the Justice League either, so he set the precedent.
                      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Cyborg, like Robin and Firestorm, had that Super Friends angle.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by thesharkman

thesharkman
                          Super Powers wasn't limited to Justice League characters. They could do all of the DC universe.

I wish the line had more Batman and Superman family characters.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎