Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SHAZAM! SHAZHAM! SHAZAM! A Comparison...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

SHAZAM! SHAZHAM! SHAZAM! A Comparison...

It's been quite the journey for me to get my hands on Wave 15, and it was all of my own doing. As I finally have most of the ones I wanted in hand now, I finally found time to start opening them, with Green Arrow and Captain Marvel being first up. When I saw the Wave 15 Shazam, I knew I was going to like it better than the Topps version. I like the yellow better than the gold and the costume design with the belt sash. I have to admit, the Topps Shazam was disappointing to me. The cape felt cheaply done, the lighting bolt a little frayed on the edges, the seam down the crotch is ugly, and the head sculpt just seemed off.

Looking at my opened Wave 15 Shazam, it is a big improvement, starting with the fixed body, of course. But the costume design by Brian Leitner is fantastic. I love the deeper red, the lightning bolt is nice and crisp, the sash belt is well done, the cape is much improved, and the flap is perfect. I do like the longer gauntlet guards on the Topps version, but I have no complaints with the way they were done on Wave 15 Shazam.

Mego Shazam Wv15.jpg

The big issue I had with Wave 15 CM was the head. In this case, it looked like we has looking off to his right. It is really weird because it doesn't look like the eyes are painted that way. I looked at the Topps head and he is looking straight on. It irked me enough where I considered swapping heads even though the Topps head is smaller... wait... no, the heads are the same size. Why did I think they were bigger on the Wv15 figures? Oh well.... SWAPPED! And it's much better now!

(after the head swap)
    Mego Shazam Wv15 & Topps.jpg

Still, something was off on the head sculpt to me and I finally figured it out. The left eye is budging out compared to the right side and that's what keeps throwing me off. Assuming this was a manufacturing issue and not by design? Maybe the sculptor, CrimsonGhost will chime in here? Even with this, I still think it's a fantastic sculpt that represents a classic DC Comics Captain Marvel.

Mego Shazam Wv15 Head Deformity.jpg

FTC also made a Captain Marvel, with a more Fawcett head sculpt and different costume. I like this version with the onesie costume, huge lightning bolt and short boots. Plus the longer wrist gauntlets. The cape is nice too, except for that big elastic neck band... woof! I moved him to a Type S body, so you will also see the height difference (and shoulder difference) between the new bandless Mego body and standard Type S body.

Mego Shazam Wv15 & FTC Type-S.jpg

I like the FTC version, but the Wave 15 Captain Marvel is The One for me.

Now I just have to figure out how I want to display these two versions of the same characters on the shelf.
  • Figure8
    Museum Patron
    • May 18, 2016

Thanks for the pics. At one point I thought I'd pass on this entire wave because of the size issue. But that Shazam just looked too darn good. So now I got him and Green Arrow. It still sucks that they won't fit in with other figures but design-wise these are awesome. This is definitely my favourite 8" Shazam figure. I already pre-ordered Black Adam as well and I keep looking at Deathstroke ...

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Figure8
      Thanks for the pics. At one point I thought I'd pass on this entire wave because of the size issue. But that Shazam just looked too darn good. So now I got him and Green Arrow. It still sucks that they won't fit in with other figures but design-wise these are awesome. This is definitely my favorite 8" Shazam figure. I already pre-ordered Black Adam as well and I keep looking at Deathstroke ...
      Yes, the size issue, even with the corrected body, is a conundrum for the display. Even with the original Mego DC figures, they are short with smaller heads. If you moved any of them to a Type S body, then that further complicates things. I was keeping most of the new DC Megos together, but the difference in these is making me rethink how I plan to display things.

I am not a big fan of silk screening entire costumes, but Deathstroke looks good. But he is on the first bandless short body and having him displayed with my mix of FTC, Mego, Modified and Custom New Teen Titans is not working at all. I am still working that one out.

New Teen Titans.jpg

Comment

• Mejo
        Museum Patron
        • Jun 30, 2022

So let me get this straight ... the new Cap figure is taller than the Topps one ... but he's still shorter than the average Mego?

Wow, that earlier Cap must really be tiny.

Comment

• Atomikhammer
          • Nov 20, 2012

The wave 15 Cap is very, very good and is now tied fir my favourite with the original Mego version!!

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Mejo
            So let me get this straight ... the new Cap figure is taller than the Topps one ... but he's still shorter than the average Mego?

Wow, that earlier Cap must really be tiny.
            Those Topps figures are miniscule.

Unfortunately the corrected figures still have undersized heads. I like this Shazaam but his head is still a bit too small for regular Megos.

Comment

• Atomikhammer
              • Nov 20, 2012

Originally posted by ODBJBG
              Those Topps figures are miniscule.

Unfortunately the corrected figures still have undersized heads. I like this Shazaam but his head is still a bit too small for regular Megos.
              Are the wave 15 Corrected? Does that mean the new body is now the same size and the heads from the Topps are just smaller or, with the Topps are there now three sizes?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Which one is Shazham?

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Atomikhammer
                  Are the wave 15 Corrected? Does that mean the new body is now the same size and the heads from the Topps are just smaller or, with the Topps are there now three sizes?
                  Wave 15's body is "corrected" although I believe they are still making adjustments to it. But it's the same height roughly.

However the heads are all the same size. So the smaller Topps heads are now on bigger bodies.

It doesn't look too awful bad all things told, but the heads do skew smaller than a "normal mego" head. But original Mego had a pretty wide range of size of heads too.

And NuMego has had some gargantuan heads at times (though not as bad as BBP and others) but rarely a head that was too small. Until the Topps debacle.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                    Which one is Shazham?

This one
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mejo
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jun 30, 2022

Got my Captain Marvel and Black Adam figures today and I really like them. Would love to see another version of Fawcett Cap but without the button shirt and sash (this is besides the 50th anniversary repro, which holds such feels for me but which is far from comics accurate--and I say this in a loving way) ... one with the C.C. Beck narrowed eye-slits and solid white grin ... y'know, the classic Big Red Cheese.

After that, bring on more Marvel Family members: Jr., Mary, Uncle, Tawky, the Lt.s, and the Sivana Family!

Comment

• Mejo
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jun 30, 2022

Captain Marvel Mego.jpg

Mego Captain Marvel.jpg

Great figure--nice costume detailing and the face sculpt captures the character.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎